Jeep Patriot... and getting nowhere fast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a little update since I first joined the forum a few years ago. At the time, I had an older Chrysler Town & Country van that wasn't road worthy at all and couldn't economically be made road worthy. Too many years, too many miles, too many problems. It would have probably sufficed to do some closer range, very short term camping, but that just isn't of much interest to me. Even if it's only for a few weeks at a time, I wanna "get out there" and see the country a little. Add to all of that, the COVID situation and other health concerns... so here I am still just dreaming.

Fast forward to this past spring, while shopping for a decent van to use going forward, in a moment of weakness and not considering the bigger picture very well, I found a deal on a very low mileage Jeep Patriot in near perfect condition and purchased it. I thought that if nothing else, I could toss a tent in the back and take off to parts unknown.

SOMEBODY PLEASE SMACK ME IN THE HEAD! 🤕

What I figured out the hard way is that it's really a lot smaller inside than I initially thought and that it will be a real challenge to make it work comfortably... even for tent camping.

I do have a few ideas in mind that involve removing the front passenger seat and rear seating, "McGyvering" a way to mount the spare on the top safely and then building out the expanded spaces in such a way where there is no permanent changes made. I need it to remain that way so that everything can be switched back when I'm ready to do so.

So far, I've been outside a few times with tape measure, paper, pencil and sketch pad in hand, but both winter and medical issues are causing a delay even in serious planning.

There ya go... that's where things are at currently, so I guess I'll continue to lurk around, reading all of the posts from all of you good folks already "out there", while continuing to plan and dream for the time being. Come on warmer, better weather! 🤪

I'm firmly convinced you can make any vehicle work if you're determined enough.

It isn't about the vehicle.

Saw a guy in a smaller jeep the other day. I didn't talk to him, but I'm pretty sure he slept in the jeep and stashed his stuff in a backpacking tent. Had a small folding table to cook on, and a sand chair for sitting in. I kinda envied him - he can go places I can't take my van to.

When I first started, I was crashing in the back of my little Yaris hatchback with blankets, a pillow, and a duffel bag of clothes. When my ex joined me, we were crashing in the front seats with blankets, 2 duffel bags of clothes, and a duffel bag with some cooking stuff.

Somehow, because I'll be traveling by myself now, I've gotten pulled into YouTube videos and Facebook groups and decided I needed all this extra stuff, and the right stuff, and now it's been 5 years and I haven't done any just for fun traveling.

This is a really neat video. It's a girl who threw some blankets and luggage in the back of her Prius and then she hit the road. Even if she's not traveling like you want to travel, she's a good reminder that people have been hitting the road for well over 100 years but these extravagant car/van builds have only been a thing for about 5 years. Life is really short to keep planning.