Re-launching today

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B and C

Reaction score
We made it back to N. Texas for my mother's funeral.  Two hard days drive from the BLM South of Joshua Tree NP....

It will be a few months before my mothers estate is settled.  My BIL is handling all the financials (he was a big wig at Collins Radio and then Boeing).  He is very meticulous with his book-keeping.

We left the Roadtrek at the S&B and took my DW's Tahoe to make our journey to Big Canoe, GA (N. Georgia Mtns.) where my sister and BIL live.  After spending a few days there, all of us went to Florida where our oldest brother and SIL lives.  He was unable to attend due to health issues.  We went to show support and to let him know we were still there for him if needed and he still matters.  None of us keep in regular contact with him because he is hard to talk to and always has been.  He doesn't say much and doesn't have any outside interests anymore.  We spent one night in Florida. 

On the way back to GA., we stopped at the Seaplane base in Tavares, FL. and took a float-plane ride. :D  My DW has never been in a small plane before so this was a real treat for her.  I have never been on a float-plane before.  This was a Cessna 185 with floats in place of the wheels, hence float-plane and not seaplane (in my book anyway).

We spent a few more days in Ga. before heading home through the pouring rains and flooding in Louisiana  :(  WE were sitting at the intersection of I-75 and wondering if we should take a more Northern route back to S. TX.  Going up through TN. would have added a lot more miles to the trip home so I decided (since I was driving) that we would just drive !-10 back home through the squall lines. :dodgy:  At the time I-20 was closed in sections but we don't normally drive I-20 anyway.  The rain was heavy in two spots but not so bad as to stop traffic (it did slow considerably though).  We only went across one bridge where the water was about a foot underneath it.  The next week, I-10 was closed at the TX border.  We made it out in time...

I have been busy getting tags, wash & wax, oil changed and throwing some stuff out of the RT.  Ordered and installed a new replacement radio so we now have navigation and can listen easily to MP3 audio books :D  Installed a new dash cam also.  The old Android would get very hot and was too much trouble to mess with (I AM lazy).  I bought a VANtrue R2 on my Sheriff neighbors recommendation and reading the reviews.  I like it a lot.  I put a 64 GB MicroSD card in it so the card should last a few years before wearing out and I can have it set on its' highest resolution.

Enough of my rambling.  We will be leaving early this afternoon with the first stop about 250 miles away.  We are going to check out the meteor crater in West TX. and the Monohans Sand hills SP near there.  After that we will be heading to AZ to see my cousin in Tucson.  We will only stay one day there.

This will be the last post for a long time.  Now to get a good long shower, finish getting our toiletries moved in and HIT THE ROAD (Yipeee!) 

See ya'll on the road and keep your powder dry!

We have been holed up in Van Horn, TX for two nights because of the wind storm and blowing sand.  

We made it to the meteor crater in Odessa TX and found it to be the second largest in the USA.  We spent about a half hour walking around in it .  Not much to see.

We then headed further West to Monahans Sandhill State Park.  We spent the 8 dollars for day use.  It was kind of like being at the beach without the water.  The sand hills were taller than the dunes at the beach though.  We spent about an hour there.  

Started heading West with no destination planned.  After we were on the road for awhile, the wind kicked up.  It was blowing the beast around as it was a side wind.  I fought the wind until we got to Van Horn.  Pulled in behind a Mc Donalds and weathered the storm.

The last two years every time we head West, there is a storm of some kind, be it an ice storm, rain and now wind. :huh:

Any ideas on where we should head to so we can spend a few days outside?

Right now if you dress warm  :D Denver is supposed to be beautiful.

GotSmart said:
Right now if you dress warm  :D Denver is supposed to be beautiful.

You could almost say it's a Winter Wonderland.  Except that's already an official tourist slogan of New York's . . .

Regards
John

I'm an hour south of and 2000 feet higher than Denver, on what's called the Palmer Divide.In the last seven to ten days we've had record highs in the upper 70s, along with 2 snow storms that dropped a total of 28'' of snow. The last storm ran thorough Saturday and already most of the snow has melted. It is beautiful here, but the weather can be a bit Bipolar.

Can't say that a couple hours NW of where you are is looking pleasant. If you head north through El Paso you will be driving through lots of wind and sand for an hour and a half. Once you get to Alamogordo you can go up the mountains and hang out near Cloudcroft or Ruidoso. Unfortunately winds will be high in the mountains with gusts of up to 70 mph. Gypsum dust will make it to the peaks but may not be anywhere near as bad as down in the basin. It's dry. Two fires have started in the last 48 hours. The one south of Cloudcroft was put out in a short while. The one almost in the town of Ruidoso is now contained. Lots of fire fighting crews there. School is also out tomorrow since school parking lot is fire planning area.

We made it to Cottonwood after stoping in Tucson to have a nice lunch with my cousin, his wife and my aunt. We weathered the wind and blowing sand :). We will spend another week here so we can check out Sedona.

I forgot to get a CRVL sticker the last time I saw Bob.

There are quite a few van dwellers around. We have only talked to one. We are such recluses.

Anyone in the area? We will be leaving next Tuesday, the 5th.

B and C said:
We made it to Cottonwood after stoping in Tucson to have a nice lunch with my cousin, his wife and my aunt. We weathered the wind and blowing sand :). We will spend another week here so we can check out Sedona.

I forgot to get a CRVL sticker the last time I saw Bob.

There are quite a few van dwellers around. We have only talked to one. We are such recluses.

Anyone in the area?  We will be leaving next Tuesday, the 5th.

Where are you in the Cottonwood area.

I'm up on 89B right now but will need to move next week.

PM me.

It doesn't pay to be related to us :dodgy:

We woke up to rain Friday morning in Cottonwood and a little while later DW got a call that her cousin passed away that morning :(  This is only 2 months after my mother passed and we had just gotten back on the road :huh:  Back at home now with the funeral on Monday.  Things seem to come in three's.  We wonder who is next.  I guess this can be expected as we are older and that makes everybody we know older too.

What is it with the weather?  This time on the way home, we had to drive in rain a lot of the way.  We did outrun it a few times though but it seemed to catch us pretty regularly.  We got to the S&B just before it started sprinkling.  Never did really rain here.  I guess it petered out just NW of us :(  We could use the rain here.

We put the Geo and tow dolly into storage to make the trip easier.  We stopped by the lower camp to let them know we were leaving.  Here's to a speedy recovery James.  I hope you get the van issues straightened out soon.  Sorry Beth, I didn't get that isolation solenoid installed.  I am going to get the fuel pump replaced while here at home as the beast has been getting harder to start.  I will call this preventive maintenance (I have to feed it after-all).

Monday night will be spent with the grand-kids (and their parents too).  DW will stay with them while I come back to the house on Tuesday to clean the beast and throw out more stuff.  Those wind storms and the desert have definitely left it very dirty inside and out. Then I have to get it in the shop for a fuel pump....  When DW can stand the joy no longer, she will call and I will go spend the night and pick her up.  Hopefully the beast is ready by that time and we can re-re-launch :D  Flagstaff should be a little warmer by then.  I am ready for a riparian forest.....

Latest posts