(Re)establishing my life, limited support, could use input if you don't mind

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
Hello, fellow cheap rvers:

I am posting here because I have some challenges that have led me to feel that this is the way to go. I had back surgery. I'm expected to have a full recovery, and by my guess, that will happen before the end of the year. I'm about 70% there now. It will take physical therapy for 1-3 more months and mostly physical activity and strength training to get strong again. A chiropractor may be needed or can at least add to the healing.

I lost my job last year bc of this issue with my back. It was difficult to diagnose but surgery worked. But I'm on SSD. The stress of the job loss and being forced to move back in with unstable and unkind parents has taken its toll mentally as well as physically. After a string of altercations with my parents, I had to move abruptly and am with roommates. Social services are limited and not an option for me as a single woman without children. I only explain all of this so you know that suggesting welfare won't work. Already tried it. And subsidized housing is hard to get into as a single person. And comes with its own problems.

I can't live in a van that I can't stand in and I can't afford a full van conversion. I'm also not physically capable of many of the modifications atm. I also have limited time. The longer I rent here now, the less I'll have to get an rv setup.

After much contemplation and researching options, I feel that getting a conversion van for mobility and a trailer to live in will be my best options. 

My questions:

1. What kind of trailer can be towed by a conversion van? 
2. I'm looking for a small to mid-sized trailer that can be towed and/or be left in an rv park to go on runs. What do you recommend?
3. I'm looking for both the conversion van and trailer used. But I read that some trailers are cheap even new. I need clarification on that. My total budget is 5k if you can make any recommendations on where to look.
4. I'm near Austin TX but want to travel within the next few months after I complete PT. Can you point me to info on inexpensive camping and rv parks, esp those with water and electric? Wifi would be a huge bonus for future work opportunities (copywriter). Also hoping to find an rv park near here to relocate for awhile.

Thanks for making it this far into my post. I don't have many resources atm and not many ppl I know can help in this area. Thanks.

Hey, KimKelb89...

I am NO expert, by any stretch.  Still working on my own exodus from the material trap.  But ....

I have spent a fair bit of time recently, looking at old RVs...some as old as 1970's era.  I'm sure this changes with geography, but I've seen a smattering of less-than-$5k RVs listed on Craigslist in my area (Fort Collins, Colorado).

I have no clue about their overall condition ... haven't looked at any in person yet.  But, the ones that caught my eye all came with dialog like "Runs strong!", or "I've taken this over the Rockies a dozen times, and I'd do it again..." kind of verbiage.

Dunno?  Worth a look?

....and, welcome to the forum!  :)

kimkelb89 said:
Hello, fellow cheap rvers:

The stress of the job loss and being forced to move back in with unstable and unkind parents has taken its toll mentally as well as physically. After a string of altercations with my parents, I had to move abruptly and am with roommates. Social services are limited and not an option for me as a single woman without children.  And subsidized housing is hard to get into as a single person. And comes with its own problems.
************************************************************************************************************************
From Jewellann

Some towns have a Family Services Center or a Human services Center.  In Austin you can call 211 for a United Way help line. Tell them your situation and ask for help.  They will refer you to others that may be able to assist you.

The 211 phone # is good in Texas and many other states.  I have used it here in AL to help myself and find resources for others as well. Our local 211 has sent me lists of food pantries for 3 counties,  and also low rent housing + hooked up a friend with medication they needed and could not afford.

There is sometimes public housing for people in bad/abusive situations without being on a waiting list, or at least a short one.  You stated you had "been in altercations" with your family and had to leave.  There is no shame in that.  I've yet to meet anyone with a perfect family, myself included .......and I'm older than dirt!

A referal for you for short list housing would probably be needed from a agency or a church.
A local St Vincent DePaul Society, Salvation Army or Luthern Social Services might also be able to help.

Many large churchs have community outreach programs.

Good Luck
Jewellann

*************************************************************************************************************************
4. I'm near Austin TX but want to travel within the next few months after I complete PT. Can you point me to info on inexpensive camping and rv parks, esp those with water and electric? Wifi would be a huge bonus for future work opportunities (copywriter). Also hoping to find an rv park near here to relocate for awhile.

Thanks for making it this far into my post. I don't have many resources atm and not many ppl I know can help in this area. Thanks.

Information on 1-3: The conversion van will have towing limits that can be obtained which will then show what trailer weights you're capable of towing. There's also the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) that is considered in the mix. If you're viewing a van in person, a placard at the driver's door area will have this info. If viewing a van on-line, the web will provide the numbers when you put in a search for the vehicle. GCWR is the max weight that truck & trailer combination can weigh, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the max weight that a vehicle or trailer can weigh on it's own. With your physical condition ease of set-up will be helpful, especially in the early stages of your venture. So I'll add that with a trailer comes the sequence of levelling & disconnecting (and then the reverse) each time you arrive at camp. (Obviously the longer time spent at camp relates to fewer hitch work.) I only say this because of your back condition, which I can relate to as I have degenerative disc disease, a train wreck of arthritis in spots, & L5 is not connected to S1 anymore (my backbone's not connected to my tailbone anymore). These events started in 1980 so I've grown accustomed to feeling pain (no meds please, thank you), but this may be a new feeling for you & the hitch work may make you miserable. Perhaps a van with a high-top add-on would be better to get you rolling & on your own, and with a $5K budget your funds go to one vehicle & it's issues instead of two. Simply start with some camping gear on top of some plywood in the van, keep it simple & basic to get you rolling. Consider what is needed when tent camping, but instead of the tent you have a high-top van. I believe that you could be very happy with this to start with and grow with in the future. Should you choose to go with a trailer, there's no shortage of light weight trailers on today's market as manufacturers have been exploiting this area for years. I've been looking at RVs for years at dealerships & RV Shows and when I consider that many are made to a price point, only then can I understand the quality issues that I constantly see. Trying to keep the weight & price down generally results in a weaker vehicle that's replaced every few years. Anyway, once you know what your van's capable of towing your choices will present themselves. Ideally, the trailer gets chosen first & then the truck, but this route may not work here.
Information on #4: Inexpensive camping can be had on BLM lands through the LTVA, or free if you adhere to the time limit rules. This prolly won't help immediately as you go through PT, but will help down the road. New Mexico has a State Park Pass discount program, as well as other states but I haven't checked Texas yet. Essentially there's a fee up front of $200-$400 which then gives you a year of free camping (this varies quite widely among the states, so I only generalized here). Passport America is the original 50% off RV Club and for $49/year you receive a directory with membership card to over 1800 campgrounds that charge you, you guessed it, 50% off their daily rates (some exclusions apply). State Parks generally have electric hook-ups with water & dump stations available within the park, and some have combinations thereof. RV Parks can provide weekly, monthly, & seasonal rates that'll help save money as well. Not being familiar with the Austin area, I can only generalize and hope to be helpful. I wish you all the best.

There's quite a few RV Dealerships between Austin and San Antonio. I'd suggest taking a drive down and visiting a few to look at models. PPL is huge: https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer?sortBy=price+asc  Not suggesting you buy there, but you can do some window shopping and get a feel. 

The Texas State Park pass is $70, but it just waives the entrance fees and gets you a discount on the camping. 

I've spent the last two winters in S Texas. Most of the mid-range RV parks are around $300 a month plus electric. My electric in a small Class C has varied from $36 to $86, depending on where I was and how hot/cold it was. The place I'm in now is $300 a month plus electric, but it has a laundry, pool and hottub on site, and they have a propane guy that comes and delivers.

BLM land out West is obviously going to free. RV parks up north tend to be more expensive, since most are closed in the winter and only have a 6-7 month season. The place I stay at in Ohio is $550 month plus electric, for example. I usually stay at least a month in an RV park to keep the rate down. I've stayed up to 2 weeks in National Forest Campgrounds and state parks. 

Not a lot of BLM land in Texas that I've seen. Most of the empty land is privately owned ranches. 

I use a Verizon 4G hotspot. I've had a decent enough signal to work from most everywhere I've been. Dropping down to 3G is usually pretty slow and painful. I use at least 1 gig a day, so I have a 30 gig plan with Verizon. That costs around $135 month, but it's a business expense. 

Hope that helps. I don't travel as cheap as most on here, but that should give you an idea of the mid-range costs. I've fill-timed with a dog and a cat for the last year and a half.

Thanks for the links! It seems your area has a lot more than mine or even anywhere in Texas atm. I might have to travel to get the one I want.

rm.w/aview said:
Information on 1-3: The conversion van will have towing limits that can be obtained which will then show what trailer weights you're capable of towing. There's also the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) that is considered in the mix. If you're viewing a van in person, a placard at the driver's door area will have this info. If viewing a van on-line, the web will provide the numbers when you put in a search for the vehicle. GCWR is the max weight that truck & trailer combination can weigh, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the max weight that a vehicle or trailer can weigh on it's own. With your physical condition ease of set-up will be helpful, especially in the early stages of your venture. So I'll add that with a trailer comes the sequence of levelling & disconnecting (and then the reverse) each time you arrive at camp. (Obviously the longer time spent at camp relates to fewer hitch work.) I only say this because of your back condition, which I can relate to as I have degenerative disc disease, a train wreck of arthritis in spots, & L5 is not connected to S1 anymore (my backbone's not connected to my tailbone anymore). These events started in 1980 so I've grown accustomed to feeling pain (no meds please, thank you), but this may be a new feeling for you & the hitch work may make you miserable. Perhaps a van with a high-top add-on would be better to get you rolling & on your own, and with a $5K budget your funds go to one vehicle & it's issues instead of two. Simply start with some camping gear on top of some plywood in the van, keep it simple & basic to get you rolling. Consider what is needed when tent camping, but instead of the tent you have a high-top van. I believe that you could be very happy with this to start with and grow with in the future. Should you choose to go with a trailer, there's no shortage of light weight trailers on today's market as manufacturers have been exploiting this area for years. I've been looking at RVs for years at dealerships & RV Shows and when I consider that many are made to a price point, only then can I understand the quality issues that I constantly see. Trying to keep the weight & price down generally results in a weaker vehicle that's replaced every few years. Anyway, once you know what your van's capable of towing your choices will present themselves. Ideally, the trailer gets chosen first & then the truck, but this route may not work here.
Information on #4: Inexpensive camping can be had on BLM lands through the LTVA, or free if you adhere to the time limit rules. This prolly won't help immediately as you go through PT, but will help down the road. New Mexico has a State Park Pass discount program, as well as other states but I haven't checked Texas yet. Essentially there's a fee up front of $200-$400 which then gives you a year of free camping (this varies quite widely among the states, so I only generalized here). Passport America is the original 50% off RV Club and for $49/year you receive a directory with membership card to over 1800 campgrounds that charge you, you guessed it, 50% off their daily rates (some exclusions apply). State Parks generally have electric hook-ups with water & dump stations available within the park, and some have combinations thereof. RV Parks can provide weekly, monthly, & seasonal rates that'll help save money as well. Not being familiar with the Austin area, I can only generalize and hope to be helpful. I wish you all the best.

I'm sorry about your back. I can relate. Thank you for the info. I guess I should look more into how you hitch one vehicle to another. My back is in better shape than it was even a few months ago but it'll take time to completely heal. My problem with just the van is an inability to stand and I can't find much info on high tops.

Personally, I'd be looking at getting a pickup instead of a van. or a suburban. Reason is, if you cannot stand up in one, moving around in it may present other issues, having a pickup/suburban then allows storage for items with easy reach and since you don't plan to live out of the van, then having the pickup is a viable option. 

In addition, access to the engine compartment is easier. If you're going to be physically impaired, that may help or not in the future.

And sadly, we all must prepare for mechanical issues which may show up. That's the worrying part of it all.

BTW, this is what I am pondering also when I will be changing to a new rig...In a year or so.

That has been my latest focus on this decision. I think I've exhausted the others (converting a van is not possible and I don't feel comfortable pulling around a lot of weight, and used class b's are very hard to find past 1980). After having watched a few videos of people hitching and unhitching trailers, it's intimidating but not impossible. The one that I think is easiest all around is the truck camper. Not a lot of space but you have options since you have a pickup for it. I'm leaning heavily toward getting a pickup and truck camper. And in the future, move up to a trailer when I will be traveling less or at least staying in spots longer.

Here's another idea - skip the travel part for now. Contact local RV parks and find out whether anyone in the park wants to sell their TT.

Post a wanted ad on your local CL as well. Also check out RVTrader.

RV parks differ, but I lived in one for over 6 months, in a popular tourist area, and could have kept on renting there if I'd wanted to. Summer rental was $500/month, off-season was $300.

This will get you out of your uncomfortable situation and help you learn about TTs. When your back is better, then think about whether you want to keep your TT or switch to a van.

Thanks. It has crossed my mind but for now, I'm focusing on getting a pickup and truck camper. I can still stay at an rv park that way but also more mobile than with a trailer to drag. I think a travel trailer to pull would be a steeper learning curve than a truck camper because it can just stay on. And from videos I've seen, it seems easier to line up and reattach a truck camper over a travel trailer. 

There are some rv parks here that i have looked into just in case. I'll have to see how I feel next month after I buy the truck and camper, then decide. I'm going to an rv show early Feb to see everything more up close. I walked through a travel trailer at a lot (new) and it was nice but scared me to think of pulling it. I'd like to get help learning how.  I'll know more after the rv show in February but I think this is the best plan for me. Thanks.

places to stay here in TX. besides the RV parks,(some of which may not allow truck campers). State parks will usually run $20 a night( water/ electric only) more for sewer.
the Tx. Park pass will waive the entrance fee for each night stayed but you are only given 4 discount camping nights with a 2 night minimum for each discount. there are corps of engineers parks mostly in the eastern, central and a few in south parts of TX. With your disability you can probably get the America the Beautiful Access Pass which allows you to camp for 1/2 price at a lot of the Corps parks. It's not accepted at State parks in Tx, but some state parks in Arkansas may give a discount. Corps parks around the U.S. honor the Federal Pass. and like others have mentioned there is BLM land mostly in Arizona. New Mexico state parks non-resident pass was $225 for the year last year and you can get a campsite with water/electric for $8 a night, no amenities gets you free camping with the pass. regular price for camping (2017) was $10 a night no amenities and $14 a night for water/electric... that's all the info I can give you from personal experience...I don't do RV parks as I am in a van that is not self-contained although I eat, sleep, and live in it fulltime...

The Federal "ACCESS " pass is free if you go in person to get it.  $10 thru the mail. It is a lifetime pass with no annual fees.

The pass is for people with a disability.  Both my son and I took our Disability benefit award letters and our DLs to a nearby US Forest Service office and filled out a short form and recieved our Access Pass.  These passes can be used to have entrance fees waived where there is one to access Federal Lands such as BLM, National Forest and others.  It will also provide discounts on other fees such as campsites with hook ups, sometimes it's a 50% discount.

.  Each site should be contacted to be sure what any fees there are as they vary from site to site.  One of my favorite places in TX to go was the US Army Core of Engineers [USACE] at Bardwell Lake just outside of Ennis TX.  I'm sure there are sites in the hill country.  My Aunt Mary had a home in Marble Falls until about 2002.  We used to travel down from Grapevine Lake often.  My husband also deer hunted in the area until he passed away.

I think some state parks may also honor the Access pass, I'm not sure about that.

Texas has a free pass called Texas Parklands Pass, there are 4 types of these and only 1 requires you be a TX resident. 
2 are for senoirs and there is 1 for DAVs, and 1 for others with a disability.  

I found all this info re: passes on the web with Googles help

Jewellann

bonnieE350van said:
places to stay  here in TX.  besides the RV parks,(some of which may not allow truck campers).  State parks will usually run $20 a night( water/ electric only) more for  sewer.
the Tx. Park pass will waive the entrance fee for each night stayed but you are only given 4 discount camping nights with a 2 night minimum for each discount. there are corps  of engineers parks mostly in the eastern, central and a few in south parts of TX.  With your disability you can probably get the America the Beautiful Access Pass which allows you to camp for 1/2 price at a lot of the Corps parks. It's not accepted at State parks in Tx, but some state parks in Arkansas may give a discount. Corps parks around the U.S. honor the Federal Pass. and like others have mentioned there is BLM land mostly in Arizona.  New Mexico state parks non-resident pass was  $225 for the year last year and you can get a campsite with water/electric for $8 a night, no amenities gets you free camping with the pass.  regular price for camping (2017) was $10 a night no amenities and $14 a night for water/electric... that's all the info I can give you from personal experience...I don't do RV parks as I am in a van that is not self-contained although I eat, sleep, and live in it fulltime...

Thanks for the info. I thought some RV parks only limit based on whether or not your unit is self contained. Do some places even bar self contained campers? Is there a site that breaks down what each pass gives you access to? Like the difference between the America the Beautiful Access pass vs Federal? Is there a federal pass honored at all state parks or do you pay per state?

Txjaybird said:
The Federal "ACCESS " pass is free if you go in person to get it.  $10 thru the mail. It is a lifetime pass with no annual fees.

The pass is for people with a disability.  Both my son and I took our Disability benefit award letters and our DLs to a nearby US Forest Service office and filled out a short form and recieved our Access Pass.  These passes can be used to have entrance fees waived where there is one to access Federal Lands such as BLM, National Forest and others.  It will also provide discounts on other fees such as campsites with hook ups, sometimes it's a 50% discount.

.  Each site should be contacted to be sure what any fees there are as they vary from site to site.  One of my favorite places in TX to go was the US Army Core of Engineers [USACE] at Bardwell Lake just outside of Ennis TX.  I'm sure there are sites in the hill country.  My Aunt Mary had a home in Marble Falls until about 2002.  We used to travel down from Grapevine Lake often.  My husband also deer hunted in the area until he passed away.

I think some state parks may also honor the Access pass, I'm not sure about that.

Texas has a free pass called Texas Parklands Pass, there are 4 types of these and only 1 requires you be a TX resident. 
2 are for senoirs and there is 1 for DAVs, and 1 for others with a disability.  

I found all this info re: passes on the web with Googles help

Jewellann

Ok thanks. I'll have to look into this.

kimkelb89 said:
Thanks for the info. I thought some RV parks only limit based on whether or not your unit is self contained. Do some places even bar self contained campers? Is there a site that breaks down what each pass gives you access to? Like the difference between the America the Beautiful Access pass vs Federal? Is there a federal pass honored at all state parks or do you pay per state?

I was speaking only from my experience NOT being self-contained, but some of the "classier" parks may not allow older looking vehicles...
to my knowledge there is no federal pass that can be used at all state parks...state parks have their own individual state pass...
just need to inquire in each state about what they have...tourist info centers as you enter a new state are great for getting current info about what is available and most have a free state map...just specifically ask about state park guides/camping info
or go online and request tourist info to be either snail mailed or e-mail for the state you are interested in...Texas Park pass can be used at ALL Texas state parks