Rats in the walls

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@dingfelder
I know you can make one of these deadly traps. Be sure to put a few inches of rv antifreeze or water in the bottom so they dont jump back out. These work great on mountain rodents. -crofter

Description: youtube video DIY trap

I've seen these; they look great.  Right now I have a walk-the-plank variety, fairly similar in concept.  It's nowhere it's useful now though.  I think I'll bring it out into the open and see what happens.  Thanks for the video tip!

Stargazer said:
I had a packrat building a nest under the starter battery box.  Opened the hood, placed a work light. Power washed the engine compartment, spread a smelly granule product from the hardware store in the compartment, all around the ground.  The only thing that worked was to leave, drove 500 miles in the summer heat.  That did it.

Had mice in the underbelly of the fifth wheel, parked in an RV park.  Removed everything that could be used as nesting material, tarps, plastic bags, cardboard boxes, all soft goods, and stored everything in hard plastic bins.    Took down the divider wall, thoroughly cleaned surfaces with bleach water.  Ran a rope light all around the perimeter outside on a day/night timer.  They kept coming back.  Found a product online that was steel wool embedded with tiny shards of stainless steel and stuffed it in every single possible entry point, every crack and crevice, around the slide out mechanism, the bumper rod attachments, battery box and I do mean every single possible point , no matter how small.  That worked.

As for traps, I used a glue trap once and will never do it again.  It doesn't kill, it torchers.  The mouse was still alive eight hours after being caught and it had struggled so hard to escape, its belly was ripped open and guts were hanging out and it was still alive.  I smashed it with a big rock.

Mice learn how to trip standard traps and get the bait.  The only trap I use now that consistently works is this one:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/vi..._source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing - 01 - Shopping - Farm %26 Livestock - US&utm_term=4581390076711127&utm_content=Pest Control

The best bait I have found is cat food kibble.  Mice like grains, not peanut butter or cheese or bacon or any of that.  I use the above traps with a piece of kibble as bait.  It consistently catches and kills.  I live in the country, there are plenty of mice and this works.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Some good tips, thanks.  Honestly with a house I think you can be kinder, but with a mobile living unit(I sound like a Conehead), time is of the essence, and I find it harder to live and let live by an order of magnitude.  Especially since I am here in the rainy PNW and it can takes months to get an RV or trailer repaired around here. I would like to be as kind as possible, Round 1, but after that, it's whatever it takes.

As someone that has had rats destroy valuable personal things and have seen rats destroy entire homes and vehicles. I kill them all.. any way that gets the job done.

^1 to avoid poisons.  Best luck I've had catching critters are the good old fashion snap traps. Best baits I've used are peanut butter for mice, and dry dog food pellets for rats.  For mice, smear a thin layer of peanut butter on the underside of the press bar.  For rats, tie the dog food pellet to the press bar with some heavy thread or thin wire.  The rats get caught when they try to grab the bait and run away.  The large rat sticky traps work sometimes for mice, but the small sticky traps are a waste of time.    BTW, I just got done fixing a ton of mice damage on a friends van.  Little bastards chewed the ignition wires, vacuum hoses, A/C vacuum hoses under the dash...  The engine wasn't running right, A/C wasn't working, brakes and turn signals... it was a huge mess to un-do.  Much better to catch or deter than to have to repair damage.   Researching chemical deterrents I came across peppermint as a possible solution.  Here's a 4:02 video experiment showing effectiveness of peppermint:

ridgeway said:
As someone that has had rats destroy valuable personal things and have seen rats destroy entire homes and vehicles. I kill them all.. any way that gets the job done.
I can dig it.  Life doesn't always make it easy. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Doubleone said:
^1 to avoid poisons.  Best luck I've had catching critters are the good old fashion snap traps. Best baits I've used are peanut butter for mice, and dry dog food pellets for rats.  For mice, smear a thin layer of peanut butter on the underside of the press bar.  For rats, tie the dog food pellet to the press bar with some heavy thread or thin wire.  The rats get caught when they try to grab the bait and run away.  The large rat sticky traps work sometimes for mice, but the small sticky traps are a waste of time.    BTW, I just got done fixing a ton of mice damage on a friends van.  Little bastards chewed the ignition wires, vacuum hoses, A/C vacuum hoses under the dash...  The engine wasn't running right, A/C wasn't working, brakes and turn signals... it was a huge mess to un-do.  Much better to catch or deter than to have to repair damage.   Researching chemical deterrents I came across peppermint as a possible solution.  Here's a 4:02 video experiment showing effectiveness of peppermint:

That kinda thing is what I'm afraid of.  Those without rodents terrifically underestimate the damage they can do, and how fast, almost guaranteed they do.  You have to be there to know.  And to see your feelings change as you lose.

Thanks for your feedback!

Re mint, I dunno.  I grow tons of mint and rats and squirrels are all over. I think it might be like those sound barriers -- they don't like it at first, but they get used to it.

Yeah, it seems to be concentrated Peppermint oil that does the trick, or you can buy the commercial version... The video shows how mice react...

I would poison them they may stink a little depending where they die, but that is short lived, it is very effective. My experience with traps is they work well for mice not so good on rats and it is a long process if they are well established. Rat poison will sort them out in a couple days. They dry out pretty fast and stop smelling.