Questions for introspection

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
These are questions for those who are living either full-time or part-time in a van/rv/car/etc. 

What things about your personality, habits, interests do you think made you suited to vandwelling? 

And also, were there some things about yourself that arose after you started vandwelling that you were surprised you had in you? I hope that question makes sense. I couldn't think how to word it.

I wife was sick for a number of years, and I really couldn't travel very from home. I retired in May, and my wife passed away last month. She had spent 14 months on a Nursing Home, and I knew when she went in that she wasn't coming home, so I started preparing to move on.

I really don't have any thing here to keep me here, I don't have any kids, the wife has one son but he's grown and kids of his own.

I spent 20 years in the Army 3 active 17 reserve, so traveling and camping has been a part of my life all those years. Now that I can afford it, I want to see the rest of the states, and enjoy myself.

I am looking for a travel buddy, somebody to talk to and share expenses.

Years ago my hubby and I moved from California to Texas. The first 2 years we lived in an 18ft travel trailer. Boy was it ruff lol that trailer had no AC and in Texas that was an experience. But what I loved about it was the simplicity of life. Oh we had laundry and others daily chores but I loved it. Now 15 years later I realize I want to capture that again. Our property is paid off and he will retire in 3 years. So his roaming is limited to 4 weeks a year at this time. He knows that after a failed back surgery I am struggling with the need to get out of the house and live a little. We are at the end of the conversion of a Van and then with his blessing I will go explore a bit. With our home base I can come and go as I please. Our agreement is if I find a fun and beautiful place we will go together. He is not one for staying in the small space of my Van so when he goes he will take his Lance Trailer. The irony of my fond memories of that 18ft trailer. His memories of the exact opposite. lol. But we both want the freedom of the joy of travel. We just are approaching it from different prospectives. And if we manage our money right we can follow our dreams.

Traveling first with my husband, now nearly 7 years on my own, I have to say that the biggest thing I have learned is that you have to be prepared to save yourself from whatever may come along.

This means learning how to to do as much as you can by yourself, and also knowing when to ask for help.

Seemed like I kept running into walls instead of opening doors of opportunity. I kept trying to do too much with too little. Downsizing and living simply had always appealed to me. Living in an RV got things small enough they were manageable and always wanting to be doing something the RV always keeps me busy with lots of small tasks.

There is only one essential quality needed. All humans have it. The ability to adapt to changes. It comes easier for some than others.

maki2 said:
There is only one essential quality needed. All humans have it. The ability to adapt to changes. It comes easier for some than others.

Yeah, that about sums it up. I think humans can get used to just about anything, once they stop whining about things they have no control over.

For me, I am thinking about my dislike of large spaces. I love small spaces. I think efficiency apartments are about the best things going. Even when I live somewhere with a full kitchen, bedroom, etc. I usually spend most of time in just one room. I've never eaten a meal at the kitchen table. I don't think I've ever owned a kitchen table in any apartment I've rented. The kitchen in my house is small, so I don't have a table. I always eat on the couch or in bed. The bedrooms are upstairs and the one bathroom is downstairs, so I have a bucket in the bedroom to use as a chamber pot. I am at the age where there's no flippin' way I'm making it through the night without having to pee, and I'm not going to walk downstairs in a groggy state; that's dangerous. So, peeing in a container in the van at night will be just more of the same.  :)

And I really love the idea of having all my stuff with me. A couple times a month I like the spend the day in bed. I'll pile everything I think I'll need on the bed with me...knitting, books, computer. I like the coziness of it.

One thing I only have a little of, but wish I had more of is not caring what other people think. I have a decent amount of it, or I wouldn't be planning on doing this at all, but I wish I had more of a don't-give-a-shit attitude.

Oh, something else is that I already own very few clothes. I've never been a clotheshorse, and I don't bathe or shower everyday anyway. Haven't for years. We're overly hygienic in this society. I wash my hair once a week.  I really hate dealing with my hair, but as I'm still working I have to worry about how I present to others. Once I'm full-time vandwelling, I'd like to just buzz my hair off and wear headscarves. But that might be tough (as I said, I still worry a bit about what others think).

Lab nomad — I remember in my younger days spending all day in bed to. Those are some precious memories and it will never happen again, at least not in that Way:);):)

bullfrog said:
Seemed like I kept running into walls instead of opening doors of opportunity. I kept trying to do too much with too little. Downsizing and living simply had always appealed to me.
"Applause"...exactly

Minimalism brings joy. Also multiple uses and simplicity.

A history of backpacking and adventure travel. 

The ability to fix things. If you feel inept at this, start watching youtube videos and fixing things to get the hang of it.

The ability to make things from scratch. Again youtube is a great teacher.

-crofter

I think the key to being, if not happy, then at least content, whatever your living situation, is to be comfortable in your own skin.

I was born an outlier, and I've been one my entire life. I spent my first 3 or 4 decades trying to "fix" myself,  to please all the folks - my family, my "friends", my "significant others", my co-workers - who were full of "advice" about how I would be so great if I just did this, that, or the other thing differently.

Well, phooey on that.

As for the nomad life, I think it helps to have strong hermit tendencies. I like my own company and can always find something to do or to think about. And yes, I've always managed to find another door whenever one shuts in my face.

I have a lot to learn yet. But one of the things I learned about myself is my hoarding was much much worse than I had ever recognized. Others knew it about me but I didn’t or at least I wouldn’t. Trying to live a minimalist lifestyle because it’s necessary in a van is not the easiest thing for a hoarder to do. I still have two 5 x 10 Storage sheds full of my nature collections. Thousands of butterflies and other insects, bones, antlers, snake skins, posters in photographs, pinecone collection, egg collection, and it goes on. Running the nature center in Lancaster County was the best thing I’ve ever done and I’m having a hard time letting it go. I am even finding I’m picking up stuff for that collection while I’m on the road. This is a struggle for me. I knew It was a place for everything and everything in its place before I moved into this vehicle but I didn’t really know it completely. I have several boxes that I have to move every time I get into a cabinet or something. It’s driving me crazy. (For me that’s not a long drive it’s a short putt) I have work to do. This lifestyle gives you an insight into who you are and do you have the strength the same change the habits of 62 to 70 years.

I was fulltime for one year.  While on the road, I spent a stretch of time around Slab City.  They have a saying in the slabs:  “We’re all here because we’re not all there.”  That is to say, there is a reason why people end up where they are, and it usually has something to do with their personalities.  So I believe there is something in common in all of us who ended up on a nomadic path.

I do think that people romanticize.  There are tons of people, for example, who fantasize about living on an off-grid farm, but one week of waking up at the crack of dawn to milk goats or cows can sometimes cure them of their fancies.  And a sizeable portion of the membership here is not nomadic.  In fact, some of the most vocal posters on this forum with the strongest opinions about “their” nomadic community don’t even have rigs.

There comes a threshold that you have to cross, and only those who really have it in them (or who are really delusional) will cross that threshold.  The delusional ones end up broken down on the side of a road in Arizona with a blown head gasket, and will post here along the lines of, “Please help!  I have no money, and I just offered my last 20 to the mechanic, but it’s not enough!”  And you have to just shake your head...  I believe that there is definitely a general disconnect between what nomadic living “means” or represents to people, and what it really is.  Everyone first comes to this forum because they had a fantasy of a cheap, easy-going nomadic life.  A portion of members here actually set out on the road.  And a smaller portion still remain on the road.

But what makes the non-delusional ones cross that threshold?  I don’t know, but I agree that we probably share something.  I see a trend of bucking the system among the forumites here, and I have been a little rebel myself at times in my life.  That is to say, I sometimes didn’t mind standing out or doing something in an unconventional fashion.  I see a trend of appreciation for small spaces here, and even after I abandoned my nomadic life a few months ago, the home I settled into is very small (600 sq. ft.), and I like it that way!  I see a trend of loathing for materialism among the forumites here, and I too see little value in luxury or status.  As a young man, I chose a path that led to a decent career, but my goal was never to pleasure my ego with material possessions.  I delight in simplicity, in reduction, and in freedom, and I think those are pleasures many of us in this community share.

But I see those same traits that lead people to nomadism also cause a lot of the recurring heartache here.  The same trait that makes someone “buck the system” and insist on doing things her or his own way has undoubtably, in my mind, also been at the root of the persistent poverty and lack of healthy and meaningful social interactions discussed on this forum.  “We’re all here because we’re not all there,” indeed.  There are fascinating people in the slabs, but many of them couldn’t make it in the real world.  The Slabs is their escape.  For some who will come across this forum and this community, the road is their metaphorical escape.

And, of course, there may be some traits that bind us all, but our motivations vary.  I’ve been reading here pretty regularly for more than a year.  Some folks are motivated by desperation.  Some by a longing to be free.  Still others by a longing to disconnect.  And still others yet by a longing to connect. 

As with all things in life, those running away from something usually never escape, but those running to something sometimes make it to their destination.

I have noticed that a bunch of the Full Timers on youTube, have either gone part-time, or have a basecamp somewhere where they can get off the road.

It aint rainbows and unicorns out on the road.

crofter said:
Minimalism brings joy. Also multiple uses and simplicity.

A history of backpacking and adventure travel. 

The ability to fix things. If you feel inept at this, start watching youtube videos and fixing things to get the hang of it.

The ability to make things from scratch. Again youtube is a great teacher.

-crofter
Also I get something meaningful out of sitting around a campfire, and think that contemplation is never a waste of time.  -c

MG1912 said:
....the most vocal posters on this forum with the strongest opinions about “their” nomadic community don’t even have rigs....
Really?? Enlighten us all on this point.

-crofter  (farmed and ranched for many years, yes even the goats)

For one, it's true. People are generally honest about whether or not they have rigs and are living on the road. There's nothing wrong with not having a rig yet or not being on the road now, but there is an irony in having strong opinions about something you don't actually have any experience in. I'm not referring to you in any case.

There is a difference between the imagined life as a nomad and the real life of a nomad, just as there is a difference between the imagined life of an off-grid survivalist (in my above example) and the real life of an off-grid survivalist.

I don't know what point you are trying to make.  Are you saying that people who are not full-time or, at least, part-time nomads should not have or express opinions?

This forum is serving full-timers, part-timers, and nomad wannabees.
With cars, vans,RVs and even motorcycles and bicycles.
Everyone is welcome, and everyone can express their opinion.

If you tire reading strong opinions from some, you have the option to 'block' them, in which case their posts will not appear when you are browsing.
Yes, this lifestyle can be excruciating if you are unprepared, and yes, many take it lightly and face the consequences. We are here to help them if we can, and learn from each other's mistakes. It's good to keep an open mind and avoid being judgemental.

For many of us - myself included - van life provides the fulfillment of a dream to see the country and make friends, and do things we haven't had a chance to do, because we spent most of our lives working and taking care of obligations.

And for the time being, we are mostly "all there".