Putt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooooooooooooooo!

IMG_2263-L.jpg

rilla.gif

I think I could have configured this a little better, but it's going to work just fine.

I'll have to do the #vanlife shuffle sometimes---there's as likely going to be a soldering iron over the fridge as not---but I'll figure it out.

IMG_2264-L.jpg

IMG_2265-L.jpg

IMG_2266-L.jpg

Well...I guess this is a major milestone: The fundamental construction is done...sort of...

IMG_2274-XL.jpg

Here's a panorama from the driver's compartment back. (The table isn't installed at this point.)

You can also see there's no door on the fridge yet, hence the "sort of."

Counters have some unevenness between the sections...oh well, might be able to tweak it later.

IMG_2267-XL.jpg

Got the table installed today.

IMG_2279-XL.jpg

Still LOTS to do: Fridge cabinet door; electronic cabinet door; latches for all doors and drawers; spice racks above sink; arm rests on the wall next to the dinette seats; garbage can; composting toilet innards; and, well, lots more little things you wouldn't want to be bothered with.

You'd think it would be a joyous day for me...you'd think. Mostly I just feel a bit exhausted. Despite being a red letter day, I'm mainly aware of being in the middle of a long project that's still got a long way to go. It's been bitterly cold up here; my knuckles are cracking from working in the dry, frigid air. Probably just going to relax and enjoy the cabin; maybe do a bit of packing. But I think I'm going to stay out of the garage for a few days.

Yes Putt you can be very proud of your results. That build is super. I hope you can enjoy it for many years. I have arthritis in my hands from too many years as an appliance tech I can feel your pain. Jeff

YUM! Nicely done, and fabulous seating/atmosphere to enjoy it in! Love seeing your posts!

Putts, thank you for sharing your build. I know EXACTLY how you feel about the lack of excitement when the build starts winding down. I have that same feeling, even though I have lots of little projects that still need to be completed. 
I call em "LIPSTICK JOBS", lol!

In fact, as I finished my drivers side cabinet, and looked around as if to say, "Now what?"
And I spent today, just lounging round doin NUTTIN...

Now I just feel guilty for slakin...

But, back to your build! Oh my goodness gravy! Your killing it man! I could use MANY of your ideas in my build....

BTW, do you have a linkie for that little single burner stove? Soooo cute! I want one!!!

Good job, kind Sir!!

Such Fun!

Moving along....

Probably the last thing that will substantially change the look of the cabin, I installed the flooring.

IMG_2292-L.jpg

5mm thick rubber gym matt. Comes in roll much larger than I needed. Nice heavy stuff. I'm going to use the rest of it as flooring in the driver's compartment. The weight and density should cut down the noise a little.

The drawers were initially a bit sticky but have settled in nicely and now easily slide in and out. Course, that makes for some interesting sound effects as I drive back and forth to Home Depot. The door and drawer latches have become a must. So in they go!

IMG_2293-L.jpg

They have a little spring in them for tension and rubber stoppers as feet to hold things nicely in place.

IMG_2171-L.jpg

Now the drawers stay put quite well.

IMG_2296-L.jpg

The above bed and kitchen cabinets are single sided so needed a different base.

IMG_2295-L.jpg

Not sure what's next, but I do have quite a punch list written up. Maybe 20 items to go before I could survive in Putt.

I'll get there.

Nice job!

It looks like you have room for extended-arm body-spins forward to aft.
What's wrong with simple magnets for shelves?

Oh yea, you need a monitor control center for the cargo/sleeping area of your truck (separate from your cab monitor control center).   :D

Keep it up and thanks for the pics! You always have excellent pics.

breeze said:
Nice job!

Thanks!

It looks like you have room for extended-arm body-spins forward to aft.

That is one of the prime design criteria. I know there will be time when the weather forces me inside for days at a time. I know me, and if it was cramped in there, I'd start punching walls. I know I need to be able to pace four steps back and forth---which I can do going forward and aft with the front cabin door open---and I know I needed to be able to have a sense of expanse where I could swing my arms around---even though it's a rather false sense of expanse. A regular cargo van isn't for me, even with a high top.

What's wrong with simple magnets for shelves?

Ever been in a 19,500# GVWR step van at 55mph across a rough RR crossing? Holy smoke, that thing can bang around. Magnets wouldn't stop a ballistic hit by a can of refried beans. I need something 100% secure. Also, once I'm stopped and flip open the seven latches, everything opens easy-peasy. So there's a small bit of added comfort there.

Oh yea, you need a monitor control center for the cargo/sleeping area of your truck (separate from your cab monitor control center).   :D

Working on it.

IMG_2200-L.jpg

IMG_2224-L.jpg

That cabinet will have all sort of electronics in it eventually.

Keep it up and thanks for the pics! You always have excellent pics.

Thanks, I'll keep working on it.

Putts that's an awesome wire job. looks very professional. bonus points for you if I could give you rating points for that I would. highdesertranger

Glad you're enjoying it, Victor.

highdesertranger said:
Putts that's an awesome wire job.  looks very professional.  bonus points for you if I could give you rating points for that I would.  highdesertranger

High praise from a crusty old goat like you, thanks. THe one problem I foresee is that I've been using 12awg wire. Not going to convert too many electrons into heat---which is nice---but eventually that wiring harness off the door will be as thick as my forearm. Not going to open and close it much, only for working on new cables, but still gonna be a bit tight in the end I reckon.

Until I finally found a High Roof van made of steel with a v8, solid transmission, and good electronics (I had to go through and study every High Roof on the market!), I was thinking F-450 would be sweet because you can do anything you want! Except for having to get a class B license (Bus drivers) in some States, it was unlimited in what you could do. It's too many decisions for me though, and I just like looking at what you are doing to yours.

But it's always a plan B for the future!  :D

Thanks for the shelving fastener advice. That made sense!

Even though they're not as visually dramatic as previous posts, progress continues.

First thing was to put my temporary gray water tank back in. It's one of those blue cubes. Fits nice, but it doesn't have a drain, which means I have to pull all the drawers on that side to take out the tank to empty it.

IMG_2299-L.jpg

It's more useful than not having a tank of any kind, but that's about it. I'll be putting in another tank with drain fittings sometime soon, but until then this allows me to put my coffee filter in the sink to let it drain.

The only reason I mention it is because it lets me show you how I can remove the countertop and drawers and get at everything inside the main counter cabinet. In the photo above in the cabinet section to the left of the blue tank and behind the drawers is where the water filtration system and water pumps will be. When it comes time to install them, removing the drawers and countertop will make it relatively easy...relatively.

It does make a mess of the rest of the cabin though.

IMG_2300-L.jpg