Pros & Cons of going with a Truck & Slide-In Camper Rig?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Bigfoot camper and it was a total hunka garbage. ..Willy.

All things considered, a Class C might be a better choice. Passengers in a pickup camper while moving might be illegal... A pickup camper might require a separate license and insurance too.

Loading and unloading a truck camper can become very old very fast.

There seems to be quite a few cheap Class C's for sale in your area too.

The smaller Class C's with dualies can get you into almost as many places as a 4x4 too, and get you better MPG in many cases. They also drive much better and aren't nearly as top heavy.

You usually have a lot more space and a better choice of floor plans in a Class C too.

If you do go for a class C, look into getting a locker or limited slip for the rear end from Auburn, Eaton, or Arb.  One of those, plus off road tires on the rear end, will go a long way to help keep you from getting stuck when you go off pavement.

Regards
John

ps:  you can also add a winch bumper and winch to most vans if you want to.

I'm seriously thinking of installing a 'lunchbox' locker in my stepvan. I looked it up and juuuuust squeeze in under the wire with my rear diff being the largest they make one for. ..Willy.

Willy said:
I had a Bigfoot camper and it was a total hunka garbage. ..Willy.

Sorry to hear that. :huh: My neighbor has one and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. I wonder if some years are better than others? Or if all are not up to par? I know Four Wheel campers went through a couple reorganizations and owners and there were a few years that were real garbage, partical board cabinets etc...

I installed a Lunchbox Locker in my rear end and I like it a lot. I had an open (non-LSD) differential before so it made a big difference.

All the campers I've had were built terribly. Terrible insulation, terrible mounts for the camper jacks, poor use of space because of the wheel wells, the height is quite tall especially with a 4X4. The furnaces weren't efficient and the fridges were the pits. Even the arctic labeled ones aren't insulated like they should be IMO. I hate the indoor plumbing they put in there. Everything is cheap. The wood is cheap. The insulation, what little there is, is cheap. The hinges on the cupboards are cheap.

Yet, a slide in is my favorite way to go. I am making a custom camper to avoid the frivilous items that come with a factory camper and the poor build quality that is ubiquitous with all slide in campers. The slide ins are wider than vans and that allows one to add quite a bit of insulation while keeping a good amount of interior space. Mine is on a flatbed to make the most usable space.

Weight is a serious factor. If you can go small, go for it. I won't do slide-outs because they are heavy, break down, aren't meant to be extended for long periods of time (it's a camper, not a house), and leak cold air. If I wanted the hassle of living in a larger space, I'd live in a house.

You can sleep sideways even if you are tall which opens up even more space elsewhere. I'm 5'8" and have never had to hunch over inside a camper. I've scraped my head quite a few times in the doorway, though. If I get a bald spot, I'm blaming it on the door frame.

I like having a "bedroom" already set up and out of the way. I can't sit up, but they are easy to get in and out of with a small amount of practice. You don't need much cubic footage to sleep comfortably, so the cubby-like overhead is great. My friend has a camper and he hates sleeping in what he refers to as the "coffin".

I don't mind getting out of the camper then walking into the cab to drive away. Yes, being able to have a pass through is safer, but I don't consider walking out of a house a high risk behavior. Not the best comparison, but the risk of walking from the camper to the cab is not a big deal. But risk factors vary wildly from person to person, so that is very much an individual choice.

Since stealth is out with a camper and having a super cute dog doesn't help at all, I give little consideration to stealth. I give more attention to being courteous, clean, and polite. I'm really pretty, but not as pretty as I used to be, so I'm not relying on that as much as I used to.

While taking the camper on and off takes a bit of time, you don't have to tuck everything in every time you go into town. If you stay at places for extended periods of time, you could leave the camper and drive the truck. If you move from place to place frequently, then loading and unloading a camper is the pits.

I have little concern for side wind. Having frequently driven much, much taller rigs in hurricane force winds, it takes a hell of a lot to blow a rig over. It feels scary to the novice, but because it feels scary, doesn't mean it is a real problem.

I don't like driving tall rigs at all, but I want to be able to stand up and want a 4X4, so I deal with the height. Learning to drive 3-dimensionally takes practice.

You climb into a slide in camper. There is no stepping into it unless it is off the truck lowered near the ground.

When the truck needs to go into the shop, your home can be relatively easy to remove. If your van needs to go into the shop, then your entire home goes into the shop for however long the repair takes. If you have pets, this is more of an issue.

I've read on a few other forums that some private RV parks don't allow truck campers to unload. One person said this is the case in Phoenix.

I had to do some major repairs on the Bigfoot which required a fair amount of interior disassembly.. revealing just how shoddy the construction was. Eventually, I just gave the damned thing away since even looking at that POS made me angry as hell and didn't feel right to ask for money for that putrid sows ear. A few months later an acquaintance of mine told me he used to work at Bigfoot (laying in the electrical) and that they were, basically, crap. Might be better now, but once bitten...  ..Willy.

These are very well built and no frou-frouhttp://www.alaskancamper.com/  The high profile issue is solved with the pop-up top but with the safety and comfort of a hard-sided camper.  The only thing I took issue with was the lack of a gray water tank.

There is a guy on 'Wander the West' or 'Expedition Portal' that has full timed in an Alaskan camper for a number of years.  Might want to check there.  Alaskans are heavy, so I would want a MDT (450 or 550).

-- Spiff

My bad :s

Have a friend that has an old one (pre '75).  That one tips the scales at 3200# wet; too heavy for my 3/4T.
Newer ones are lighter ~2400# wet (8 ft model).

-- Spiff

From the Summer of 2010 until the Summer of 2015, I lived on and off full-time in my Truck Camper, a 2002 Bigfoot / 2005 F350. During that period I worked overseas on 2 security contracts in Africa for 18 months at which time the Truck and Camper were in storage. When I was in the USA, the Truck Camper was my primary home! I made 4 trips from Kentucky to California and back during this 5 year period and really enjoyed my mobile lifestyle. Since August of 2015 until now, I have been renting a small apt but plan to hit the road full-time again after the snow melts and the trees start to bud! I give this background only as a reference to support my opinion that a Truck Campers is a great option for a full-time rig!
1) Remember there is no perfect rig... it's like the perfect place to call home... it just depends. I've lived 14 years overseas and love lots of places for various reasons but still have not found Eden! I don't think I will ever find the perfect rig either. For me a near perfect rig is the one that's 'paid-for'... haha
2) Remember the bigger, heavier and taller your rig is...means less MPG and *generally* will be less off road capable.
What are the 3 things I like most about my Truck Camper?
1) I like the ability to take the camper off the truck and use the two independent of one another. If I need to service the truck, I can remove the camper and drop the truck off at any of the thousands of Ford Dealer around the USA or Canada for service. I just need the courtesy vehicle or a friend to take me to my camper and I still have the use of my home!
2) I like the 4x4 capability of the F350. No I can't go rock-crawling but I know that my F350 is significantly more off-road capable than most 2 wheel drive vans or RVs which often have low ground clearance.
3) I like the torque and towing capacity of my diesel engine... and with a truck camper you can choose a diesel or gas truck in most cases.
What do I not like about my Truck Camper? Probably the only thing is...
1) It does not allow for a pass-thru between the cab and the camper. When I first got the camper I read stories from other RV dwellers about how important it was to be able to just slip into the drivers seat and drive away... in the middle of the night...in order to avoid the Zombie onslaught... But to be honest, I have done TONS of boon docking, both urban and rural, and not ONCE have I needed to escape anything in the middle of the night! I have boon-docked in cities with lots of night-life and nobody, gangster or cop, has ever forced me to flee in the dark... so what am I getting at... I think the ability to pass from camper to cab without having to get out of the truck camper is NO Big Deal!
I give Truck Campers 2 thumbs up!
PS... I have had an overall great experience with my Bigfoot!

Spaceman Spiff said:
  Alaskans are heavy, so I would want a MDT (450 or 550).

Spaceman Spiff said:
My bad :s

Have a friend that has an old one (pre '75).  That one tips the scales at 3200# wet; too heavy for my 3/4T.
Newer ones are lighter ~2400# wet (8 ft model).

-- Spiff

Actually, it looks like the new ones are even lighter than that.  1776 wet for the 8'

http://www.alaskancamper.com/pricelst.htm

If you want to spend some time doing a DIY version, you can build it out of foam & poor-man's fiberglass. Here is a build thread for a guy doing one for his '98 Tacoma 2.4L and ~400 lbs:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=64361

"Foamies" give lots of good insulation since it is built with thick foam board, easy & cheap to build & repair, and proven to stand up to highway travel.

The 3/4 ton Dodge will have a 1992 8' slide-in Six-Pac that weighs 1400 wet. Can sleep 4 will sleep one for sure. propane fridge and Stedford potty
Being so used to buckets not sure if I like that. But can handle me and a few six-packs. Gonna measure the available roof space for 2 x 125wt 12 volt panels.
paying 500 bucks if it doesn't work out Oh well the over 68 clause will kick-in.

Am liking the idea of a lightweight truck camper set up. Will definitely need to consider build quality. If I need more space am going to set up an exterior tent or a exterior privy toilet. Looking at used prices of $2500 and admit the build quality is suspect in a truck camper. So might pay to get the most simple system and add aftermarket quality at less combined weight.

Stealth is overrated. Find some legal parking without silly unenforceable no sleeping in vehicles rules and move on with your life. There should be few areas were you are more than ten miles from rural parking areas.

akrvbob said:
Get one of these and you can get a new one for less than $2500 and weight will not be an issue:
http://belairshells.com/wood-n-alum

Bob

Thinking carefully on this. Get one and work out the installation of a sleeping platform and a toilet. Then also get a cheap trailer later to expand if needed. So much flexibility to adapt your lifestyle.

Latest posts