Pros & Cons of going with a Truck & Slide-In Camper Rig?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goshawk said:
Thinking carefully on this. Get one and work out the installation of a sleeping platform and a toilet. Then also get a cheap trailer later to expand if needed.  So much flexibility to adapt your lifestyle.

That's exactly what I'm thinking also. I'd tow my cargo trailer in the winter with it then put it in storage for the summer and take the truck/shell. With 4x4 I could go anywhere I wanted to go and still have reasonable comfort.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I'd tow my cargo trailer in the winter with it then put it in storage for the summer and take the truck/shell. 
Bob

Torture. Which toys would you leave in storage? My camper would be stuffed!  :p

one big con with side in campers, if you travel forested back roads, tree branches will do some serious damage. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
one big con with side in campers, if you travel forested back roads, tree branches will do some serious damage. highdesertranger

Pruning saw really comes in handy. ..Willy.

mikEXpat said:
Torture. Which toys would you leave in storage? My camper would be stuffed!  :p

What toys? I don't have any toys, I live in the trailer in the winter. Summer travel is all about:

go small = go far, go fast and go now.
go big = go not far, go slow and go later

If serious travel is your goal, less is more of it.
Bob

When I first found this site it was just like when I read my  first issue of THE MOTHER EARTH NEWS back in the '70's.   I did a happy dance while chanting       :idea:  I'm not crazy.... :idea:  I'm not crazy...  :idea:    

It's so good to know that others share some of the same ideas I have.....  While thinking that buying and converting a cargo van and cargo trailer to suit our individual needs/wants is the best thing since sliced white bread....I've come to realize that i'll be to old and broke down to hitch up the trailer by the time I  can afford to buy either one.

However I do have a 1991     4X4     4.O V6  Ford Ranger    with an extended cab = big roof for rack and solar panel/s....so  i'm starting with what I have  [paid for] and intend to apply the knowledge i've gained here to put some kind of camper shell on it and later add a small light weight trailer.... I have a decent pop up trailer however i'm unable to pull out the bed slides by myself.... I can still crank the roof up and down so i may try to build light weight removable insulated panels for the sides/ends and remove the bed slides keeping the foam beds.

There are a lot of DIY camper builds/conversions on You Tube........and then there are the Gypsy Wagons,,,,,and cargo vans....... and trailers......... and prius's,,,,and other cool stuff here...I told Queenie we weren't in Texas anymore but she just keeps snoring...we were on the road several hours and she rides standing up 'til she can't anymore...she's a short legged little rascal.

So happy trails to you all and I hope we all get..... Just The Rig We Want.....   :D    ....TJB

Just to sum my reasons for deciding on hitop van...

1. Cost... one has to buy the truck AND camper. Up here in Canada. .. not cheap. I spent $6800 on my van.
2. No pass through. .. I am 100% urban street camping so I think the pass through is important.

One Awesome Inch said:
Just to sum my reasons for deciding on hitop van...

1. Cost... one has to buy the truck AND camper. Up here in Canada. .. not cheap. I spent $6800 on my van.
2. No pass through. .. I am 100% urban street camping so I think the pass through is important.

Agreed. Not for stealth camping. And you do need the truck and the camper. Estimating RWD truck prices at twice the cost of equivalent RWD van due to demand for trucks on used vehicle market. Right now having trouble finding a desired LONG BED truck used in any configuration.

When we started out we already had an old beat up F150. We bought a 1988 sunlite pop-up TC for 1500 bucks. The TC was "designed" for a half ton truck, but only if it was virtually empty with no other cargo. That would work for weekend warrior but right away I realized this was going to be a safety issue after we load everything we need for full timing. I added some leaf spring helpers to the truck, loaded it up with all our stuff and hoped for the best. I never felt safe driving it. Also the F150 mpg dropped to about 8mpg with the heavy load, and really struggled to go up hill. I found a heavily used F350 work truck and was able to do a trade + $500. The F350 has a V10, it gets about 11mpg with or without the camper, I honestly have a hard time telling the difference it always just seems to be slightly better then 10mpg no matter what I'm doing with this truck. I do nurse the thing pretty good, always watching my RPMs. So that is something to consider with engine size, smaller isn't always better MPG. When your fully loaded it can be possible for a bigger engine to be more efficient because it doesn't stress out and the RPMs will stay low. We try our best to not have a ton of stuff, but there are two of us and a dog, and we like to be able to go long times in between supply runs. There is a huge handling difference going from an overloaded F150 to a properly loaded F350. It is a lot more comfortable on the highway.

The old canvas pop-up proved to be a bad joke when the weather went sour so a year and half into our trip we swapped it out with an old hard top. Our current TC is from 1978 and we bought it for $1000 on craiglist. We love the thing, It has two 20lb propane tanks and all the appliances run of the propane. Stove, oven, fridge, heater, and even a water heater. It also has a toilet and shower, water pump etc. Pretty much everything an RV has. We get about a month out of the 40lbs of propane running the fridge 24/7 and using the stove/oven 1-2 times every day, and occasionally using the heater and water heater.

The slide in/out is only an issue if you want it to be. We treat ours more like a class C and just leave it on. Even if we get repairs, reason being I don't trust the jacks to hold it for a long period of time with all our extra weight, plus us moving around inside of it. I would only do that if I had something else to support it besides just the jacks, and any solution I can think of would take up so much space I don't think it would be worth it. We have never had a mechanic not work on it because of the camper, if they can't fit it in the garage they will just work on it outside. Same way they would treat an RV.

Well I have been in my 8' late 60's or 70's vintage TC for over a month now, and I must say I still want to gut it and redo the interior but with the shape of a slide in it's a fair bit harder than designing for a van with a flat floor and no cabover.
Chances are I will just make some modifications and learn to live with the inefficiencies I can't correct.

One of the biggest cons for me about truck campers is they are constructed like a typical RV, meaning roof leaks, layouts not designed for fulltime living, poor insulation, etc.

But it is nice that for under $1500(including putting license plates on the truck) I got a reliable 4x4 home with more space than I know what to do with. I got really lucky with the whole situation getting a screaming deal on the truck, already setup with a battery isolator and Timbren helper Springs, then a few days later I show up to check out a workamping gig and get the camper that's about perfect for the truck for $250. Prior to getting this setup I never even considered a slide in camper but now that I have spent this much time in one I would definitely consider it an alternative to a van, particularly if you want 4x4 or a diesel.

akblack10 said:
What do I not like about my Truck Camper?  Probably the only thing is...
1) It does not allow for a pass-thru between the cab and the camper.  When I first got the camper I read stories from other RV dwellers about how important it was to be able to just slip into the drivers seat and drive away... in the middle of the night...in order to avoid the Zombie onslaught... But to be honest, I have done TONS of boon docking, both urban and rural, and not ONCE have I needed to escape anything in the middle of the night!  I have boon-docked in cities with lots of night-life and nobody, gangster or cop, has ever forced me to flee in the dark... so what am I getting at... I think the ability to pass from camper to cab without having to get out of the truck camper is NO Big Deal!

Reading through this thread to try to figure out whether a truck+camper combo might work for me.

I have to mention, that I think this factor really depends on location, since I've had to do it plenty! Gender may have also been a factor. Let's see how many times I can remember (this is Seattle and surrounding areas):

• The time two rowdy men assaulted my van. One stood in front to block me in while the other violently banged on doors, tried to open then, shook the van and was trying to smash windows. I jumped in the front and was putting the keys in ignition and on the phone with 911 when the guy in front realized it and alerted the other and they left.
  • The time in Everett I got a flat at night and stopped outside an auto shop to wait until morning. Less than 15 minutes after climbing into the back a druggie was trying to break in. He did not let me alone until I actually started the vehicle and began driving away.
  • The time some guy targeted me upon getting into my van, unbeknownst to me, as he was driving by. I was in the back when he came back around and tried to block me in. I whipped into the front so fast! Key was in the ignition in seconds.
  • That time some people reported my van as abandoned, even though I was legally parked there. (I woke up to the conversation and drove away when they weren't looking, before the tow truck could arrive.) Granted, with a camper at least they'd think of the possibility someone's inside!
  • The times rowdy people begin congregating near, or even at, my van, assuming it's empty, and begin loudly talking about and/or doing illegal things, or a street fight breaks out near me.
This was all with my Chevy G20, and a major reason I went with stealth for my next rig--a minivan. I have had absolutely zero issues in a year with the minivan, whereas all those issues happened within 8 months in the full size G20.

Are there any campers that allow a pass-through? I'm still considering the option regardless but that would be nice, even if it's just a window I could squeeze through in emergencies.

short answer yes. some slide in campers allow you to pass through. for someone like me it would be a very tight squeeze but I could do it. I am not saying it's easy but it can be done. the biggest issue with the pass through is sealing it. it can be done, but not the easiest thing to do. I have a sleeper shell on my truck. I have no back window in my truck. the truck and the sleeper are sealed 100% with an accordion boot. highdesertranger

Now that I own a class-b RV, and co-own an F350 with a cab over, I can totally see the advantages of a truck-camper. First off, there is simply more room for people interior wise. Things aren't as cramped in the truck camper. I know this seems counter intuitive, but in the camper truck my G/F and I have an easier time moving around each other while cooking dinner, or just hanging out. Zia (the dog) has more room to boot. There is more storage room. The kitchenette area is bigger. Its taller, so my 6"2 tallness doesn't cause concussions as I don't smash my noggin into things like I do regularly in the B. I can have the table folded out at the same time as having a bed. I cant do that in the B. The table and bed are one in the same. Its also wider. I can actually sprawl on out on her bed and have plenty of room to spare. In the B me+G/F+border collie at our feet gets kinda cramped at times at night.

They are cheaper. I bought the G/F's camper and truck for alot less then my B. If you don't mind it being a classic, I see them for 1500 bux running and currently registered.

Roof leaks and the such are easier to fix, especially if the camper bit on the truck is of the older aluminium siding over wood stick frame construction, where as if the hightop started leaking on the B, Id have to loosen the top, lift it up and reseal it. Window parts are easier to get... My B has unobtanium aluminium sliding windows I cannot find parts for, and the company that made them stopped producing the stuff two decades ago. I went on Ebay yesterday and found DOZENS of replacement windows for the truck camper.

The advantages are so glaring to me at this point that I am considering buying a truck with cabover for myself. Still keeping Big-Blue. I'm absolutely in love with that van.

Having owned a truck camper, a few travel trailers, and a converted Van I find their are advantages to them all, as well as disadvantages.  

Advantages for me were:
Ability to have a 4x4
Ability to tow an additional toy such as a boat or motorcycle trailer
Ability to set up camp and still have a vehicle to run errands with with  out having to break down camp

Disadvantages for me were:
Changed the way the truck drove and handled
Somewhat time consuming to load and unload from truck. (Less an issue when setting up camp for extended periods of time)
Wasted space around wheel wells

Another disadvantage for a lot of people is losing the ability to get from drivers seat to cabin but that had never bothered me. Personally if I didn't feel safe moving from one to the other I wouldnt be sleeping there anyways.

Here's a pic of my former truck camper, sold it last summer but still have the truck.

Attachments

• CRVLiving resized.jpg
    CRVLiving resized.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 20
I am able to crawl through the rear truck window and into the camper. Weighing 156 pounds pays off at times, and there is always the escape hatch.

Well having a truck-camper isn't perfect. Its really top heavy, much more so then Big-Blue and my G/F has to drive with some caution as the truck handles weird eventhough the truck is a 1-ton and is equipped with overload springs, and rear swaybar. My B handles and feels more like a standard car when rolling around, where as the truck camper feels alot more like I'm driving a three ton battering ram.

Tire selection is crucial because of the sheer weight. We have to buy load-range E tires, and I wouldn't have anything less installed. My B only requires load range C because its alot lighter. 

My B gets much better MPG then the truck. (12-16mpg Vs. 8-10MPG) However the truck has alot more power, and it can tow much much more then the B. If the truck was a dually, I know I could throw the B onto a trailer and tow it.

Its alot harder to hide in plain site.

Its much trickier to reverse out of parking spots because not only is it wider, but you really are limited to mirror backs ups only. In my B i can kinda see through the side and rear windows. I still rely on my mirrors, but I can see abit more when backing up in the B.

When your rolling down the freeway and there is a good cross wind, prepare for an entertaining drive!

Having put a bunch of time and miles with truck camper I have come to the conclusion that it works well for me, it would be nice to have a 4 x 4 but limited funds and the available under 100.000 miles Dodge Cummins locked it in. The 93 six-pac weighs less than 1500 lbs loaded. sometimes things just workout.