Pros & Cons of going with a Truck & Slide-In Camper Rig?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest thing about a truck camper is start with a 3/4 or one ton truck if you want something more than a shell. During the last year I have spent much time drawing up plans for a truck camper. Actually a flatbed camper. I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4wd that I took the bed off and turned it into a flatbed. I can pull 5,000 lb, but am limited to 1,000 lb if I put it on the truck itself.  By the time I add up the weight of building materials, it don't leave much for cargo. For off road not only is the weight an issue, but also carrying the weight high. Get a little off center in a rut, and the momentum might want to put the truck on it's side. The bed of the truck is 3' off the ground, so if you want standup room, you are looking at another 7' with floor and ceiling insulation. 10' of mass wanting to go sideways is a thrill.  Off roading with something heavy like a 3/4 ton with camper is also a challenge, (had one at one time). Off road weight is an enemy. Ground you could drive over in a light vehicle now will get you stuck. And when stuck it is a chore getting something heavy out. Sometimes the jack wants to sink in the ground. Put something under the jack and sometimes it sinks too. With the old 3/4 ton camper I had I got 6 MPG. Today's get better I am sure, but still not the best.  I live in Southern Nevada, so parking in the shade is hard to do with something tall. A van or trailer can get in the shade of a building sometimes.

I put the truck camper on hold for now. I bought a van and am working on the mechanicals right now. Bought it not running from an acquaintance. He said it ran fine when he parked it. Now I think he had to have it towed to where it was. The parts to rebuild the tranny came in yesterday. I have a receiver type winch from my jeep 4wd days. I may take that if I am wilderness camping.
DSC01578.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01578.JPG
    DSC01578.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Bitty, the biggest issue I would see for you is environmental. Unless it was custom made all of the campers I'm aware of are made with lots of paneling, plastics etc... that would off gas for years. Probably much worse than a van. That said, I sure miss my last rig - an F350 4x4 diesel with a four wheel pop up camper. And yes, I could get through the pass through even at 6' and 230 lbs, but it was tight. I didn't bother sealing it - just had sliding windows in both the truck and camper. I'd unlatch the truck window when I parked just in case I had to dive through and get out of Dodge.

here's some pics of my sleeper and boot.

033.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

this is the sleeper,  I modified a standard sleeper to fit the bed.  I widen it 18 inches and got rid of the side windows.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 26
now the boot.

038.JPG
from the inside looking into the sleeper.  notice no back window.

042.JPG
another view notice the Cordura on the bottom this has foam in it to make a cushion.  so you are not rubbing the boot when moving stuff or yourself in and out.

041.JPG
here the Cordura is pulled back you can see the boot and the foam.

043.JPG
here a pic of the boot from the outside.  sorry I don't have better pics.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 19
I've been lurking, looking and planning and there is some great food for thought here. I'm basically down to van or truck camper. TCs main advantage seems to be the ability to remove it and use the truck when needed. Removal is apparently a PITA. I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with some kind of wheeled sled for moving the camper, to essentially "jiggle" into place. Or some kind of laser guided gizmo and cheap add on backup camera, to assist with precise line up. 

But for me, one criteria is that I want to carry a small motorcycle (Honda CRF250L) on rear or front bumper.

If you plan on spending any time in campgrounds and want to get around without unhooking from the utilities, check with a few in the areas you intend to go and see if they will allow you to unload the camper from the truck bed. Many, will not allow that. Often, it is the insurance companies that impose that rule.

Bitty said:
Reading through this thread to try to figure out whether a truck+camper combo might work for me.

Bitty, if you are still lurking, go to Youtube and start watching a channel called Nomadic Fanatic. Some people don't like him, but he does have a lot of good tips on finding safe places to overnight, including a lot of places in Washington state.

highdesertranger said:
now the boot.

from the inside looking into the sleeper.  notice no back window.

another view notice the Cordura on the bottom this has foam in it to make a cushion.  so you are not rubbing the boot when moving stuff or yourself in and out.

here the Cordura is pulled back you can see the boot and the foam.

here a pic of the boot from the outside.  sorry I don't have better pics.  highdesertranger

Sleepers make Great Speaker Boxes... :p

From the standpoint of versatility, I am having a hard time not converting over to 1-ton truck and cab over.

Welcome Munch, they make some truck camper doors wide enough to roll a bike into the guy I got mine from had 20 harley's I got a small Honda in no problem.
like people recommend get at least a 3/4 ton and choose a lighter camper my old six-pac weighs 1300 wet and about 1500 with basic extras easy for a 3/4 ton to handle