Pros and Cons of vandwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
I have been looking at vans and have some questions. How much should you reasonably expect to pay for a new van and where should you look. Also, some vans get terrible gas mileage and I don't want one of those. So I am assuming I want a 6 cyl, but a mini van or cargo?? :dodgy:

Go look at everything. Only you can decide what will work for you.

If you're going to be fulltiming, the max load, the van you purchase, can carry is an important factor.

I edited your original P and deleted your second post. Editing post has a time limit but a mod can exit for you if given a heads up

The question you ask is impossible to answer. We have no way to know what your goals are, or what will work for your situation. Are you going to be an urban camper etc. People use everything from a Prius to an extended cargo van. If you can tell me correctly what my next vehicle should be, I will return the favor.

First you have to decide what size that you want, then shop for that type. If you tell us the type you want, and the budget you are working with, and where you are, we may be able to send you links to things we see. How much you pay is a personal choice. The more you can tolerate risk, the cheaper vehicles get. The range is it might make it out of town, to looks and drives like new.
Some places have a Facebook classified, some have Craigslist, I have found good deals at used car lots. It is a game of hide and seek. You may find what you are looking for in a parking lot with a for sale sign in the window.

Wow. I didn't realize what a dumb question I asked. Thanks folks.

It's not a dumb question, you just need to provide more information for anyone to offer any useful advice. I opted for a truck and a travel trailer. There are a few disadvantages of that choice over a van and I have reflected on that for the future. For example, a van is easier to park just about anywhere! I often have trouble pulling into store or diner parking lots with my setup.

A van is also one of the best options for stealth camping, especially if it isn't obvious that it's an RV, such as having all kinds of things mounted to the roof and back. You can park in almost any 24-hour store parking lot and just look like a customer vehicle.

You can also move from an area that poses safety or other issues without having to exit your vehicle. There's ample room for solar panels on most vans and depending on the configuration, ample sleeping space for at least one person.

The only cons I see, and these are highly subjective and a matter or perspective are:
  1. Not easy to have a stand-up shower if at all. You can use an outside one, not always convenient or use one at a truck stop or gym.
  2. Not as much storage. If you're a true minimalist, this isn't a problem. For me now, this is an issue.
  3. Depending on the size of the van some of the conveniences an RV offers like a place to sit and have a meal with someone when it is pouring rain or windy outside.
Really vans seem to have the advantage in many senses. But, you have to know your goals. What you want from it and what you're going to do with it.

Even with my truck I made so short-sighted mods, such as adding a tool box when I really need a cap / shell. You just have to plan ahead. Also, my RV came with a single 90W solar panel. Not nearly enough for someone living in it full-time.

Not a dumb question at all. We all have have to start somewhere. Go look at everything you think might work. Sit in it and picture living in it. After a few vehicles you'll begin to form opinions and ideas.

We used to have a sign in a shop where I worked. It said dumb questions are easier to deal with than dumb mistakes.
Like others have said we just need more info before we can make suggestions. Stick around and see what others have done. Youtube is a good place to look for things like SUV camper, mini van camper, Astro camper, etc. See if anything that you see will work for you.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We would like to see you succeed.

The trade-off between living space and carrying capacity on the one hand, and

MPG fuel savings on the other,

is an unavoidable one, very hard to get both IRL.

The latter would only become important to **me**, if I were planning on constantly driving all over the country, as in 20K miles per year.

The former is **very** important if you're doing more than weekend camping, or mind setting up a tent when staying a while.

And then look at reliability, a major third factor in your matrix. Can you fix it yourself?

For me, the up-front investment is irrelevant, it's per-year and **per-mile** running costs that are most critical, and fuel is but a minor part of that, especially for a cheap well-used vehicle.

Resale value may be important for some, fashion-status-appearance top priority for others.

Short answer, as others have pointed out is, "how long is a piece of string?"

It depends.

Thanks for the great answers. I have a 99 Ford Explorer and a 2016 R-pod camper. I like them both and think they're made for each other. Would like to have stealth though. My setup limits where I can park. I do have duel Honda generators and can park off grid in relative comfort. I appreciate the free camping links. I'm from North Carolina, now living in South Carolina. I like the NC National Parks and the State Parks. Also there is Army Corps of Engineer camping in SC. I haven't tried them yet but plan to. Hope everybody had a good Father's day.

Are you going to sell the Explorer and R-Pod if you get a van?

First thing that occurred to me was, do you intend to tow anything? Bob Wells strongly favors having a converted cargo hauler to use here and there ... and that makes me think of extras like a good tow package, etc., if you favor keeping that possibility open.

A commercial looking box truck is IMO a great best of all worlds.

Lots of living space on its own, stealth for ex-urban areas, and if the right powertrain & beefed up rear end, can tow another 3-4 ton around if you want.

Now, if it were 4x4 as well, wow!