Probably leaving the forum

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's why its optional. I certainly don't toss 10 or 20 bucks into every paywall I bump into on 'newspaper' websites, nor do I send money off to every patreon or gofundme account, nor do I pay for the premium version of every app I use on my smartphone.

We still have a choice. And having no paywall here is a good thing!

Not a typo or flame bait. Just being a little facetious. I'm too cheap for Starbucks, but $20 would pay for 3 containers of Maxwell House coffee from Walmart, which I do drink. I do pay for Allstays and such sites that give me a real return on my money, but forums are a dime a dozen. I agree with Cozin Eddie, they make money off our visit's. As far as the green banner, it reminds me of our voluntary HOA in my neighborhood that puts out a quarterly newsletter and lists all the contributing members, (which I am not part of), to "shame" us...
I Don't think it is to shame you or anything, if there is any shame involved it is strictly on your part. As for forums being a dime a dozen, you are entirely right but finding a forum like this one have fun finding it.

We already made our own choices in life. No judge on earth has the power to send us to hell when we are already there.

At some point, some of our voices will be silenced.

Every mother's son will rise and fall someday.

At this point Self is just screaming into the darkness hoping that someone, ANYONE AT ALL will hear.

That happens. Politics wasn't worth it.

I'm the one with the solar panels. I'll charge your phone because I don't judge, I'm just into free (as in freedom, not just as in beer) speech.

♥️🚌🚚⛽🚑🚒🚛🚚🚕🚖🚗🚘🚠🚡✈️

I have seen good forums deteriorate, and I know it doesn't take much to shift the tone. I appreciate the work people do to keep this going, and I'm sure there are legit expenses. Even from a profit perspective though it's important not to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. There are people whose deep knowledge and experience make this forum work (I am not one of them 😆). To remain a high quality and relevant forum, it's got to stay palatable for them. Assume/hope they're fine so far, but as the new owners continue tweaking things I hope they keep this in mind. Forums are mysterious beasts and their care and feeding requires some finesse.

Not a typo or flame bait. Just being a little facetious. I'm too cheap for Starbucks, but $20 would pay for 3 containers of Maxwell House coffee from Walmart, which I do drink. I do pay for Allstays and such sites that give me a real return on my money, but forums are a dime a dozen. I agree with Cozin Eddie, they make money off our visit's. As far as the green banner, it reminds me of our voluntary HOA in my neighborhood that puts out a quarterly newsletter and lists all the contributing members, (which I am not part of), to "shame" us...

People volunteer to be part of an HOA?
The person who sold that idea could sell anything. Wow.

My City is my HOA. If my grass gets too long (not often in AZ) they send me a summons. If I ignore 3, the add $250 to my tax bill. That's how "voluntary" HOAs work in Arizona.

Wordpress DOES charge a fee (monthly or yearly, I don't remember) for use of their servers for your website. I would imagine that this gets charged about $600/year.... it's possible I'm WAY low...
So, there ARE real costs associated with just providing a place to keep the servers and provide access to them. If I were to start being a lot more active than I am presently, I might make a donation.

People volunteer to be part of an HOA?
The person who sold that idea could sell anything. Wow.

Yes, there are people who WANT that level of intrusion. They are USUALLY people who are extremely protective of their property value , and if hippies like me move into the neighborhood. They might have lots of parties, and paint their house purple, and drive junker cars .... I lived in an HOA neighborhood. They didn't like me. I did NOT paint my house purple. :)

I Don't think it is to shame you or anything, if there is any shame involved it is strictly on your part. As for forums being a dime a dozen, you are entirely right but finding a forum like this one have fun finding it.
I humbly disagree. Once a year in the newsletter is recognizing the HOA contributors. 4X a year, (quarterly), is shaming the non-contributors...

I won't be manipulated. I feel neither shame at not contributing nor do I hold it against those that give or receive the 'atta boy'. I have too many things of importance in my life to feel real shame or pride in.

I don't know beavergod, but Im pretty sure his tongue was firmly implanted in his cheek.
Yea, kind of. Wifey and me live off $50,000-$60,000 p/yr depending on how much we travel and kind of traveling we do. Closer to $50,000 p/yr mostly, This year was a bit more because of $15,000 for new roof, $7,000 new attic,(complete duct replacement and all new R40 insulation), $5,000 exterior house painting, $1,000 for new solar screens, and $9,000 for wifey's upcoming open heart surgery deductible. Unusually expensive year. When it rains, it pours...

we all got opinions, we all got judgements against what others do.....just let the others be and do as they deem fit as with little issues like sending in a contribution or whatever as they feel fits their lives.

my goodness, leave others alone and don't sweat the small stuff is the moral of the story in everyone lives......worry and judge and comment on the MONSTER issues facing our entire planet ya know but sadly we know none of us and our comments can even 'fix' that in any way-- ugh

@beavergod1
sending prayers and well wishes for your wife's upcoming surgery and medical issues! I hope all goes well and recovery is great and you guys get the future life to lead in fine shape!

----so we are very very diverse on this forum. from wanting freedom with some finances or those struggling and extreme hard times and more and it is hard to sometimes put those 2 together when chatting this lifestyle in a way. but one thing is those who wanna be in this lifestyle do it and embrace it best they can I should hope! We are those who want XYZ out of this lifestyle to suit us, and we do that for ourselves, we got it good!

we all got opinions, we all got judgements against what others do.....just let the others be and do as they deem fit as with little issues like sending in a contribution or whatever as they feel fits their lives.

my goodness, leave others alone and don't sweat the small stuff is the moral of the story in everyone lives......worry and judge and comment on the MONSTER issues facing our entire planet ya know but sadly we know none of us and our comments can even 'fix' that in any way-- ugh

@beavergod1
sending prayers and well wishes for your wife's upcoming surgery and medical issues! I hope all goes well and recovery is great and you guys get the future life to lead in fine shape!

----so we are very very diverse on this forum. from wanting freedom with some finances or those struggling and extreme hard times and more and it is hard to sometimes put those 2 together when chatting this lifestyle in a way. but one thing is those who wanna be in this lifestyle do it and embrace it best they can I should hope! We are those who want XYZ out of this lifestyle to suit us, and we do that for ourselves, we got it good!
Appreciate your prayers and well wishes. This is her 2nd open heart surgery in 15 years. Last time was valve repair, and this time it will be valve replacement. The anxiety is building as the day draws closer, (12 more days). Many restless nights. Thought did cross my mind to eat a lead lunch out in the hospital parking lot if things went south, but I surrendered my life to a higher authority decades ago. Its not my life to take. I'll just wander in the wilderness until my natural end.

@beavergod1
yes I understand your thinking cause I am the same. Life is to be lived by us as individuals and it will go down as it will go down and it is a very natural progression so yea, I do understand your post for sure.

but luckily thru technology what was not a lifesaver before is now life saving and more than that, with a quality of life one can go alot further so that is a blessing for sure.

12 days of worry, I feel for you guys but in the end, prayers and hope and more along with great medical tech for today means a very good outcome could be present so we do have more to hold onto at this point, but like you said, life will move forward as it must and I can only say I hope all is well for you and your wife best it can be!!

The website I used to pay the bills for for my job had very very low volume, and we used a provider called Weebly (which I think is owned by Square). This site, being a forum, and an active one at that, would probably be much higher volume. People don't realize how important it is for those servers to stay up, you have to pay to "park" the domain name, and register it (vanlivingforum.com) .... plus there is probably a level of redundancy to keep the forum available. So, it's definitely NOT free or cheap.

I'm confused... does the forum have a newsletter???? Or are you talking about neighborhoods with HOA's?
Yes there is a daily 'Yesterday's Forum Activity" email sent out to all that have not unsubscribed. Check your junk email section, as sometimes they can go there since we send out a lot each night.

Status
Not open for further replies.