Pre-Buyer Inspection?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop

Reaction score
At what point should we do a pre buyer inspection?
we are looking at a 2014 savan with only 40k ish miles and the guy wants 22.5k for it

should we even waste the money on a pre buyer inspection if the final price isn't haggled out yet and the seller guy doesn't want to come down?

A lot depends on the service records and who did the work. If service records don’t match what you are seeing or don’t exist then that would be the first thing I have done. Even if it costs $500 on an over $20,000 vehicle it would be well worth it. If nothing else it may give you leverage to lower the price when things are found that need repair. With newer vehicles and their computer systems few things get missed.

bullfrog said:
A lot depends on the service records and who did the work. If service records don’t match what you are seeing or don’t exist then that would be the first thing I have done. Even if it costs $500 on an over $20,000 vehicle it would be well worth it. If nothing else it may give you leverage to lower the price when things are found that need repair.
yeah the thing is, what hesasking is way too high. there was a dealer in the next town over asking 19988 for a 2017 2500 savana van.

this guy is asking more for an older vehicle with more mileage. i just want to know if you should try to negotiate the price a little bit before take it to an inspection  or take it to an inspection first then possibly find out the seller isn't going to go any lower.

slow2day said:
Do you think he will come down $4,000? Probably not.

NADA shows that model passenger van at $17,500.

A bare cargo van would be less.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2014/GMC/G2500-Van-V8/Savana-LT-135/Values

That's with AZ zip code. If you're in Cali, it would be higher.

Offer10% less for the '17 at the dealer.  They usually will budge that much.
the van we are looking at currently is a 2014 gmc savana 2500 cargo. 40k miles. 2 owner. private party. ex carpet cleaning van. garaged.  the van we were looking at the dealer is no longer, as they sold it to someone else. no matter they were asking too much anyway at the stealership. the thing is this guy is asking a few thousand more than what the stealership was asking for a newer 2017 30k. mile 2500 savana.

...so he's a would be private seller stealer.

I see 2014 vans just like it for half that price.

slow2day said:
...so he's a would be private seller stealer.
yeah hopefully we can talk him down to 15-17k range. maybe 18k even.   but 22.5 k for a 2014 van with 40k miles is waaay too much. can get a newer better van for that.

Latest posts