GMC Savana 4.8 2500 13.5K miles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop

Reaction score
Hello,

We recently found a Savana cargo van that is 2 hours from us that has only 13.5k miles on it. It is a 1 owner vehicle and the carfax is clean.

Guy had it as a Jetter van (something having to do with cleaning sewer tanks or water pumping etc). We can go and look at this van, besides a pre-buyer's inspection, is there anything we should keep an eye out for this van because it is 16 years old and has only 13.5k miles on it?

Personally, I am thinking maybe if we buy it, all fluid flush, etc.

If it was used to clean sewer tanks you might need to do some serious disinfecting cleaning.

Remember CarFax is not the final word. just because their report is clean doesn't really mean a thing. I agree with the disinfecting. do you have a UV light? I am not kidding. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Remember CarFax is not the final word.  just because their report is clean doesn't really mean a thing.  I agree with the disinfecting.  do you have a UV light?  I am not kidding.  highdesertranger
Hello,

no I don't think we have a UV Light. But we can get one. He says he used sewer snakes. ( little hose like things that go down into the sewer tanks) but he says he bagged those sewer snakes back up before he put them back in the van.

I recall hearing Bob or someone saying something about ambulances and all that people goo in them. I believe they said something about that viruses and bacteria cannot survive on surfaces for a certain amount of time. And with this van being a mid 2000's post 2003 GM Van with the 4.8 then it only having less than 15k miles. then he probably only drove it intermittently.   and yes even without the covid, what I always do when getting something used or even new is get some paper towels and some rubbing alcohol and wipe down all surfaces to disinfect.
sorry i cannot reply to both of you, I am unfamiliar with using this forum technologies. how do we delete our posts here? are we even able to delete the stuff we post?

"are we even able to delete the stuff we post?"

No you can not delete a post you need to ask a moderator to do it for you. But I will tell you if it leaves a hole in the conversation we won't do it. we have had problems in the past that is also why there is a 15 minute time limit to edit your posts.

My brother is a plumber I am well aware of what snakes are. the big ones are on wheels and weigh several hundred pounds. there is no way to bag them. he is lying to you. inspect with a UV light.

Highdesertranger

I have a 2007 Express 2500 with the 4.8L engine. It has a little over 300k miles on it. Only ordinary maintenance stuff until about 275k, then things got a little more serious. Pretty much the whole "HydroBoost" system needed replacement—master cylinder, steering box, power steering pump. Unlike most power brake systems that use vacuum for boost, GM's HydroBoost shares boost from the power steering system. I don't know how common the failure is. However, the engine and transmission are still going strong.

It's common for the white paint to start flaking and peeling off after about ten years. It usually starts at the tiny chips on the leading edge of the hood. It's not tragic, because the gray primer coat is much tougher. It's just ugly. When I eventually buy a replacement for my Express, I'll try to find one some other color, because that paint is better.

I worked in that industry. You have little to no threat of infectious disease from any dry stuff left. Low miles could mean only used for calls in one area.

MrNoodly said:
I have a 2007 Express 2500 with the 4.8L engine. It has a little over 300k miles on it. Only ordinary maintenance stuff until about 275k, then things got a little more serious. Pretty much the whole "HydroBoost" system needed replacement—master cylinder, steering box, power steering pump. Unlike most power brake systems that use vacuum for boost, GM's HydroBoost shares boost from the power steering system. I don't know how common the failure is. However, the engine and transmission are still going strong.

It's common for the white paint to start flaking and peeling off after about ten years. It usually starts at the tiny chips on the leading edge of the hood. It's not tragic, because the gray primer coat is much tougher. It's just ugly. When I eventually buy a replacement for my Express, I'll try to find one some other color, because that paint is better.
when the paint goes. cant you just spot paint it?

Weight said:
I worked in that industry. You have little to no threat of infectious disease from any dry stuff left.  Low miles could mean only used for calls in one area.
yes. agreed. he said it had a "jetter" in it. yes it was probably only used in the small town or thereabouts.

Have it inspected at a shop. It is likely pretty good, it is not a truly old car. Still relatively modern but parts such as suspension bushings can start to harden. So that is in the nature of something to check before yuou go on a lot of dirt raods.

I myself would not be afraid to buy it after aan inspection proved it to be sound and safe to drive. . Those are very nice vehicles, I was just saying tonight I wish I had one.

Latest posts