Places other than Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanagal

Reaction score
I am new here. I am finding the videos by Bob Wells very interesting. I am wondering if there are other warmer areas to spend the winter besides Arizona? I am used to the mountains and am not sure about the barren land of Arizona. I can handle cool temps but I need sun. It is the dreariness of winter that I cannot handle.

I am starting to consider what to do in retirement. I do not want to live full time in an RV. A few months away from the dreariness of the Pacific NW might be nice. Just looking for suggestions.

Thank you.

Great question.  I'm going to follow this thread, I'd like to know too.

I know SoCal is warm and sunny in the winter yet CA is more expensive to stay than AZ.

Welcome Montanagal to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I find the desert a beautiful place. you should give it a chance. come on down to the RTR. beside AZ you have California(same as AZ) or southern Texas or Florida.

highdesertranger

I am a part-timer. I do not intend to sell my house at this time. I have camped my whole life, even as a child. I may go solo, or with my husband. He is a homebody. Twice last winter, I drove from Michigan to Florida. Both times, I was there for 3 weeks. My husband would fly down for a week each time. I have a high-top van. I don't have to pay storage as my HOA (homeowners association) does not allow for trailers. We are planning a 6 month trip starting in June. We will hire someone to cut the lawn. About 10 years ago we spent 6 months in the West going to national parks and monuments. We stayed in a tent and hotels. This time we will stay in the van. I don't mind paying for campgrounds that have pit toilets or running water. I don't like to stay in RV campgrounds with neighbors real close.

I loved the desert. I had no idea how beautiful it was. I am a water person though, so I love me some Florida. Next winter we will either be in Texas or the Florida Keys. So, try the desert, if you don't like it drive south to Texas, or Mexico, or Florida. And when the wondering itch is gone, go home for a while.

I have learned so much about boondocking in these forums. I read backpacking forums for food choices. I watch videos from people who are getting by on $500 to $5000 a month. I learn a little from everyone. Have fun with your choices.

I am a native of Arizona. My family settled here before statehood. So obviously, I am biased in my love for my homeland.

But the reason Arizona has so much alure is that within relatively short distances, he have a wide range of elevation, topography, habitat and economy. The desert has its advantages during winter of course, but as thing warm up, we have lots of higher elevation cool places too. It truly is possible to stay here year round and be comfortable.

Yes, you can do that in California too,...at greater cost.

I always enjoyed driving through the desert when I drove a semi truck. Appalachian mountains have been home for more than 45 years. I live 300 yards from the famed trail. I have seen the beauty of the desert, and would like to see if I could live there. First 14 years in Pittsburgh, PA, was I ever glad to leave there.

Bob Wells has caught my attention with his Video's. Still don't know if I can poop in a bucket, I'm researching that. Everything else I could probably deal with. The community of RV-ers / nomads, I think have the right idea, it the company you keep. Not where you keep it. I think I'm getting to the point of making the change. I'm not wealthy, and it is to expensive for me to do this around here. BLM land seems to be a way for me to enjoy what few years I have left on earth.

Jim, looks like you have a camper on the back of that truck. Why poop in a bucket? Doesn’t your camper have some sort of toilet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miami is very nice. :)

Sadly, most of the folks in this forum hang around in the southwest all year round. So as a southeasterner I have to speak up on our behalf. ;)

To be fair, I do spend winters in Texas, too.

PODebbie said:
Florida Keys

Just a heads-up---the Keys are great and are my favorite place to be in the whole world. But they are stupidly expensive. And for those who don't want to pay through the nose for an RV park or motel, the cops are very very vigilant about their "no overnighting" rules.

But if you get there, be sure to see the Cat Man at the nightly Mallory Park party. He is absolutely wonderful.   :)

We spent a few months at Big Pine Fishing Lodge campground on Big Pine Key.  It was about 30 miles north of Key West and 30 miles south of Marathan Key.  We would drive to either place or ride our bikes.  We also stayed two weeks at Bahia Honda State Park and 2 weeks on Long Key State Parks.  Camping at BPFL was about 1100 monthly without electricity or water.  They did have bathrooms, pool and clubhouse.  I remember the bingo and the crab races.  We found the burying ground for all the key deer (small deer) that were killed by cars.  It was a large pile of bones.

if you want to be both in the mountains as well as warm in the winter you will need to go down into Mexico

Jim, looks like you have a camper on the back of that truck. Why poop in a bucket? Doesn’t your camper have some sort of toilet
Cammalu : Yes I have a full bathroom in my Rv. Supply line on commode has a leak, can't get to it with out ripping the entire floor out. I'll get to it eventually, before bad weather. Can not find it under the rv, so it must be in the floor, I'll put pictures in my signature link. Bucket training just in case.

Never liked the amount of water the flush valve used so I disconnected and plugged it. I just use a cup of water from the sink to flush. Older motorhomes ran the toilet supply line with little or no insulation usually through an outside wall where they were easily frozen if any water was left over in them over winter so they were a problem on many of them.