roof vent installation questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxvet

Reaction score
Hi, I'm converting a RAM Promaster City Van into a campervan. The first thing I need to have installed is a roof mounted vent fan. Because this is minivan, I think an 11" X 11" would be sufficient. After making lots of calls and research to van conversion businesses, I had sticker shock with quotes of $800 to have this done! I'm in L.A. and live on my service-connected veteran pension. If anyone can possibly direct me to where I can have this professionally done I would be very grateful. Do only van conversion companies do this? Thank you for any feedback!

Welcome to the forum.............Pirate Camp can do all kinds of fan installations out in the Desert for FREE !

Pahrump NV in October.................Quartzsite Nov, Dec, Jan........."Yuma" (Van Aid) in Feb

50+ fans installed to date...........Never a leak........

Last edited:
Quartzsite is not that bad of a drive from LA,… other than the traffic in LA. The town of Quartzsite is right on I-10. Pirate Camp is just a few miles along AZ hwy 95 south of the intersection with I-10. Pirate Camp Doug does good work and you will be camped among a group of “instant friends” including me and many others from this online forum. 😊.

Hello paxvet, thanks for your service, and welcome to the forum!

I can verify that abnorm does excellent work out there in what is known as 'Pirate Camp'.

I also have an 11x11", 3 speed ventfan in my small pickup camper shell and its the perfect size.

Thanks for joining us!

Welcome to the forum.............Pirate Camp can do all kinds of fan installations out in the Desert for FREE !

Pahrump NV in October.................Quartzsite Nov, Dec, Jan........."Yuma" (Van Aid) in Feb

50+ fans installed to date...........Never a leak........
Much Thanks Abnorm.. I will certainly consider this!

Hello paxvet, thanks for your service, and welcome to the forum!

I can verify that abnorm does excellent work out there in what is known as 'Pirate Camp'.

I also have an 11x11", 3 speed ventfan in my small pickup camper shell and its the perfect size.

Thanks for joining us!
Thank you so much tx2sturgis!

Quartzsite is not that bad of a drive from LA,… other than the traffic in LA. The town of Quartzsite is right on I-10. Pirate Camp is just a few miles along AZ hwy 95 south of the intersection with I-10. Pirate Camp Doug does good work and you will be camped among a group of “instant friends” including me and many others from this online forum. 😊.
Very much appreciated maki2!

Very much appreciated maki2!
Oh and I am very, very picky about the quality of work people do having spent many years as a hands on Rosie the Riveter lead fabrication and installation mechanic at Boeing. Back in the days when they had decent management before they started outsourcing a lot of the work and excellent craftsmanship was expected of everyone and the inspectors took their jobs seriously.

Doug will do a good job of the install, do not worry about that.

Last edited: