Pit bullsv& Other Aggressive Breeds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen you're going to laugh at me for this, but ... you were absolutely right! I shouldn't have bothered to read this thread. It definitely turned my stomach more than a few times.

Just an FYI I can almost guarantee you none of those dogs were actually pitbulls. The only pitbulls are the American Pit Bull Terrier. If you adopt from a shelter it's almost certainly a bully breed mix. APBT are actually very small and most are immediately put down for what staff consider aggressive behavior. Similar to how many northern breed dogs are put down for being "wolfdogs" when it's simply a malamute mix or a husky mix. It's also not likely to find a malanois in a shelter because they are put down for "aggression" in many cases with high drive working dogs they are bored out of their minds and bark/scale the sides if the kennel. It's not aggression they just aren't getting the stimulation they need.

But yes APBT are inclined to be dog aggressive. But any person who owns an actual APBT most likely got it from a reputable breeder and knows the breed well. Same for someone who got an ACTUAL wolfdog. They will be prepared. The American staffie is essentially the show version of the APBT and are less inclined to be DA. It's still common in most bully breeds and it's not a case of a bad owner. It's genetics. If a dog is born to fearful parents and is taken away and raised by a normal confident mother, it's still going to end up fearful. If you take a normal puppy and have it raised by fearful parents, it will be fearful. Majority of the time nurture cannot overcome nature. Especially when bad breeding is involved.

But please don't contribute to the misrepresentation of APBT.

I HIGHLY doubt any of those dogs were actually APBT. most likely an American bully, staffie, mastiff/mix.

I do have sources for my information but I'm on my phone at work right now and can't get them. When I get to my laptop I would be more than happy to post sources and such ^-^

Kitt, I made a mistake: You are correct that the American Put Bull Terrier is only one of a cluster of unusually aggressive and dangerous breeds.  In the same way that there is a technical distinction between ska, rocksteady, and reggae.

You seem to think that hairsplitting technicalities on this point means "Aha!  Therefore Pit Bulls are wonderful pets and make great additions to a community."  Wrong.  Dead wrong. There is still a small group of breeds which inflict a disproportionate amount of death and serious injury on neighbors, children, and others unlucky enough to cross paths, and Pit Bulls are the standard bearers. The CDC, insurance industry, legal system, and US Military is well aware of this.

The title of this thread was generally correct: Pit bulls & other aggressive breeds.  

The UK Dangerous Dogs Act was written to avoid such technicalities:
Wikipedia said:
The Act also covers cross breeds of the above four types of dog. Dangerous dogs are classified by "type", not by breed label. This means that whether a dog is prohibited under the Act will depend on a judgement about its physical characteristics, and whether they match the description of a prohibited "type". This assessment of the physical characteristics is made by a court.

The the US Air Force policy is as follows:
http://www.housing.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110908-012.pdf said:
Residents may not board dogs of any breed (including a mixed breed) that are deemed
“aggressive or potentially aggressive,” unless the dog is a certified military working dog that is being
boarded by its handler/trainer or approval is obtained by the Installation Commander in writing.  For
purposes of this policy, aggressive or potentially aggressive breeds of dogs are defined as a Pit Bull
(American Staffordshire Bull Terrier or English Staffordshire Bull Terrier), Rottweiler, Doberman
Pinscher, Chow and wolf hybrids
. Prohibition also extends to other breeds of dogs or individual dogs that
demonstrate or are known to demonstrate a propensity for dominant or aggressive behavior

The animal that tried to attack my mother appears to be an American Bulldog: not technically a Pit Bull, but a square-headed breed known for aggression and strong jaws which appears on most lists of "Bully Breeds".

I suppose if you want to have a fenced in 100 acre farm or something, feel free.  But when living in community, there is no right to inflict danger on other people.

@sl1966

I agree: the damage that these dangerous animals inflict on their innocent victims is truly sickening, appalling, and an affront to human decency.

ascii_man said:
@sl1966

I agree: the damage that these dangerous animals inflict on their innocent victims is truly sickening,  appalling, and an affront to human decency.

I was referring to this thread as a whole, nor was I picking sides. My post here was a public admission to a friend that I'd read it despite her warnings not to.

ascii_man said:
You seem to think that hairsplitting technicalities on this point means "Aha!  Therefore Pit Bulls are wonderful pets and make great additions to a community."  Wrong.  Dead wrong.  There is still a small group of breeds which inflict a disproportionate amount of death and serious injury on neighbors, children, and others unlucky enough to cross paths...

I suppose if you want to have a fenced in 100 acre farm or something, feel free.  But when living in community, there is no right to inflict danger on other people.

1. No. Just no.
2. Nahh bruh.
3. Literally where did I say that APBT are great pets etc. ?
4. APBT are like wolfdogs. Majority of the population cannot handle them, and they won't make good pets for someone who doesn't know what the hell they are doing.
5. Small group of breeds? Disproportionate numbers? BRUH. over 20 breeds are misrepresented as pitbulls. Including ALL their mixes. That's at least FIFTY different breeds and mixes. AT LEAST. ALL count under the ~pitbull~ statistics. I've had people ask if my BLACK LAB/bully mix was FULL PITBULL. It's as bad as wolfdogs I tell ya! People try and pass their husky and German shepherd off as ~half wolf~ and people say their blocky headed dog is a pitbull. People need to educate themselves and seriously just STOP.

No right to inflict danger in other people

???????????????
So I guess people shouldn't bring they're Chows, GSD and rottweilers in public because that's ~inflicting danger~

Also if I'm being a responsible pet owner what's the issue?

If I have my dog aggressive dog on leash, and try to avoid other dogs and activley try and train my dog to ignore other dogs, how is that inflicting danger??

If I have a DA dog and YOU are letting YOUR dog run around without a leash and run full tilt toward another dog WITHOUT trying to control him YOU are the one being a danger NOT me who has a DA dog on a leash and is telling you to leash your damn dog.

Hypothetical scenario, but one that happens WAY too often to me. My dog is not dog aggressive but I don't like having other people's ill mannered mutts jump all over me and my girl. I tell them to leash their dog and get it away and they are 25 feet back hollering SHE'S FRIENDLY and I'm over here like well buddy ur dog isn't friendly it's rude! And 2. I AM NOT friendly lmaoo.

But seriously this entire thread churns my stomach and I am seriously don't commenting. I've said my 2 cents. I've said the same thing about 20 different ways and if you don't wanna do a bit of research and look to see what ACTUAL APBT owners are saying then I don't know what to tell you.

I know pulldogs.tumblr.com owns a gorgeous APBT named Ruby and posts a lot on this subject if anyone wants to check her blog out.

I'm not claiming her blog as a source or anything, and be warned she is trying to raise money to help pay for her dog Ruby's surgery, by request of her followers actually. I'm just saying that she says a lot of what I do, but phrases it a lot better and a lot clearer.

Also I'm adding a picture of my girl so you can properly understand how ridiculous it is that someone asked me if she was a purebred APBT. The joke is that she's half bully half lab. Cause her front half is all labrador but if you look at her butt when she runs it looks like a bully not a lab haha

Attachments

• IMG_20160222_153812.jpg
    IMG_20160222_153812.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 7
Here's another photo of my girl because she is seriously that perfect lol

Attachments

• IMG_20160222_160500.jpg
    IMG_20160222_160500.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.