Pit bullsv& Other Aggressive Breeds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have a difficult time controlling their children much less their dogs. Maybe the people should be licensed rather than the dogs.

buckwilk said:
People have a difficult time controlling their children much less their dogs. Maybe the people should be licensed rather than the dogs.

people are licensed, ss number, they should be licensed to have kids, I have found that this topic is not looked on favourably by the masses and no government would legislate this because it would be political suicide, like non smoking laws in 1960.

Canine said:
Quality breeding is important. Some breeds have better lines in regards to temperament and health and all breeds have bad lines. I won't get a pit bull next time partly because there are so many poor lines. Same with Dobermans, German Shepherd Dogs, Poodles, Shelties, etc. There are good lines out there, but they are hard to find in those breeds.

My dog, as good as she is, would not be good enough to breed. Responsible breeders help keep aggressive and otherwise ill behaved dogs out of the shelters. Irresponsible breeders keep the shelters stocked and help contribute to children being mauled.

Back yard breeders suck, but if we get a dog that has a poor background, we are still responsible for that dog's behaviors.

Training is a hugely powerful tool that is vastly underrated, but it can't fix everything to perfection. Proper food, training, and breeding all work together in a synergistic manner to make awesome dogs.

I agree about breeding. Most dogs picked up from shelters are simply bully breed mutts. They are NOT American Pit Bull Terriers. There are over 20 breeds that are referred to as "pitbulls" which is why bite statistics are so high. Stocky and has a blocky head? It's a pitbull! Could be a boxer mix, mastiff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, or 20+ other breeds AND THEIR MIXES. Some dogs ARE dog aggressive. It's genetics. You need to pay attention to your dogs and your surroundings. If more people actually paid attention there would be a lot less issues.

Let's see if you can identify the American Pit Bull Terrier!

http://www.pickthepit.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/20130810055544/http:/www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

It is worth noting that in the last county where I lived, it was "bully" breeds or a mix with a bully breed. It included a list of breeds. I had two come after my dogs so I know exactly how they approach and what they do when the arrive. I suspect these particular families are raising dogs for dog fights. I don't care what kind of breed you have, but you better be able to control it. The next dog that goes after one mine, well, let's say that I am ready.

Snow Gypsy said:
It is worth noting that in the last county where I lived, it was "bully" breeds or a mix with a bully breed.  It included a list of breeds.  I had two come after my dogs so I know exactly how they approach and what they do when the arrive.  I suspect these particular families are raising dogs for dog fights.  I don't care what kind of breed you have, but you better be able to control it.  The next dog that goes after one mine, well, let's say that I am ready.

I would recommend doing some research on dog behavior and dog body language. I know a lot of dogs who will growl at another dog and the owners will loudly exclaim "MY DOG IS JUST BEING FRIENDLY" when in fact their dog is being a rude ass and the other dog is telling us that he is not comfortable and does not feel safe, he's not being aggressive he is telling the "friendly" (aka rude and pushy) dog to back up and give him some space. The other dog us in fact the aggressor. I think most people who have dogs should educate themselves on the basics of dog body language and signals. A lot of issues would be avoided that way. I was in the store with my dog, a lab pit mix, and my coworker scared me. I laughed then chatted with him for a few minutes. He reaches down to pet her and she growls. She was not being aggressive. She was telling him to back away from me and her since she read my body language of me being scared. (I have PTSD and have really bad issues with men and men coming behind me. It's so bad I'm getting a psychiatric service dog. Either a native American indian dog or a bully breed from the shelter.) It's good info all dog owners should know :)

Kitt said:
I would recommend doing some research on dog behavior and dog body language. I know a lot of dogs who will growl at another dog and the owners will loudly exclaim "MY DOG IS JUST BEING FRIENDLY" when in fact their dog is being a rude ass and the other dog is telling us that he is not comfortable and does not feel safe, he's not being aggressive he is telling the "friendly" (aka rude and pushy) dog to back up and give him some space. The other dog us in fact the aggressor. I think most people who have dogs should educate themselves on the basics of dog body language and signals. A lot of issues would be avoided that way. I was in the store with my dog, a lab pit mix, and my coworker scared me. I laughed then chatted with him for a few minutes. He reaches down to pet her and she growls. She was not being aggressive. She was telling him to back away from me and her since she read my body language of me being scared. (I have PTSD and have really bad issues with men and men coming behind me. It's so bad I'm getting a psychiatric service dog. Either a native American indian dog or a bully breed from the shelter.) It's good info all dog owners should know :)

Is the Indian dog like the American dingo? If so, nice! Those are great dogs, a family member had one. Best dog ever.

John

Konaexpress said:
Is the Indian dog like the American dingo? If so, nice! Those are great dogs, a family member had one. Best dog ever.

John

Here you go! I had typed up a long detailed response but my phone glitched and it disappeared so here is a link to native sky kennels, one out of maybe four or five Native American Indian Dog breeders.

http://www.nativeskykennel.com/#!our-breeds-/zudi9

There is also majestic view kennels, mainely NAID kennels and night eyes kennels. Native American Indian Dogs are also crossed with golden retrievers (golden Indian dogs) german Shepherds (shalom shepherds) and one kennel crosses them with Belgian Shepherds.

Konaexpress said:

John

Also heres a photo of a native american indian dog. They also have shorter haired ones and they are one of the wolfiest looking domestic dog breeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-10-18-07-33.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-10-18-07-33.png
    895.1 KB · Views: 14
Every dog breed was bread for a purpose.

Some to hunt rodents, some to track game, some to retrieve game, some to work sheep, some to be cute companions.

And some to fight and kill.

So when you buy a Killing Tool, don't be surprised when it kills.

Even assuming equivalent psychology (and it is not equal), Pit Bulls physically have been bred to have extremely high jaw clamping force; in contrast, some hunting breeds are bread intentionally to have soft mouths so that they don't crush and destroy the birds / ducks you were planning to serve for dinner. So if a Soft Mouth breed gets frightened or confused, they will do a lot less damage than a Killing Tool.

But again, the psychology it is not equal; you never hear "our Golden Retriever was fine for 4 years and then one day it randomly attacked our toddler". You hear this very frequently with Killing Tools.

The UK is right about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991

ascii_man said:
Every dog breed was bread for a purpose.

Some to hunt rodents, some to track game, some to retrieve game, some to work sheep, some to be cute companions.

And some to fight and kill.

So when you buy a Killing Tool, don't be surprised when it kills.

Even assuming equivalent psychology (and it is not equal), Pit Bulls physically have been bred to have extremely high jaw clamping force; in contrast, some hunting breeds are bread intentionally to have soft mouths so that they don't crush and destroy the birds / ducks you were planning to serve for dinner.  So if a Soft Mouth breed gets frightened or confused, they will do a lot less damage than a Killing Tool.

But again, the psychology it is not equal; you never hear "our Golden Retriever was fine for 4 years and then one day it randomly attacked our toddler".  You hear this very frequently with Killing Tools.

The UK is right about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991

Yes, a lot of a dog's character is in the blood. I can call our poodle off game with comparative ease, and always could. But Cesar Chavez could not have gotten our old beagle back once he got a fresh scent. That dog had to chase it. Every shred of DNA he had was telling him to do it.

Kitt said:
There is also majestic view kennels, mainely NAID kennels and night eyes kennels. Native American Indian Dogs are also crossed with golden retrievers (golden Indian dogs) german Shepherds (shalom shepherds) and one kennel crosses them with Belgian Shepherds.

Stunning dogs!  Thank you for sharing.

Gigi :heart:

gcal said:
Yes, a lot of a dog's character is in the blood. I can call our poodle off game with comparative ease, and always could. But Cesar Chavez could not have gotten our old beagle back once he got a fresh scent. That dog had to chase it. Every shred of DNA he had was telling him to do it.

Good grief. What a brain fart. That should be "Cesar Milan."

gcal said:
Good grief. What a brain fart. That should be "Cesar Milan."

Hahaha! A beret and and an ak47? Love it! That's one tough puppy! :D

John

Kitt said:

Actually, research isn't needed.  I have had dogs around me for 61 years.  The pit bulls charged from a yard and immediately went after the necks of my senior dogs, one is a yellow lab and the other a chow/shepherd, my dogs did nothing but stand there while I used a knuckle blaster stun which I couldn't get good contact with since the dogs were moving so fast trying to bite my dogs.  If not for the prong collars, the attack would have been worse.  I now have a stun stick with 4 hot spots, a million volts and very sharp prongs that will go into the coat of a dog.  

I feel confident that I called the situation correctly.  Had I have had the ability to permanently end the lives of these dogs, I would have did it.  The dogs disappeared after that day and the 3 houses, all dog owners, went on the market in that block within a week.

I have heard that wolf hybrids are nearly impossible to housebreak.

Snow Gypsy said:
Actually, research isn't needed.  I have had dogs around me for 61 years.  The pit bulls charged from a yard and immediately went after the necks of my senior dogs, one is a yellow lab and the other a chow/shepherd, my dogs did nothing but stand there while I used a knuckle blaster stun which I couldn't get good contact with since the dogs were moving so fast trying to bite my dogs.  If not for the prong collars, the attack would have been worse.  I now have a stun stick with 4 hot spots, a million volts and very sharp prongs that will go into the coat of a dog.  

I feel confident that I called the situation correctly.  Had I have had the ability to permanently end the lives of these dogs, I would have did it.  The dogs disappeared after that day and the 3 houses, all dog owners, went on the market in that block within a week.

I have heard that wolf hybrids are nearly impossible to housebreak.

Oh I wasn't implying it was your dogs fault!! In a lot of cases it comes back to breeding. Backyard breeders will breed for money not the betterment of their breed. So there is a lot of inbreeding and sometimes dogs just aren't wired right :/ or they may just be very dog aggressive.

Naturepunk.tumblr.Com actually owns a low content wolfdog named Jude! But yes a wolfdog is still part wolf and are very difficult to keep. The are not domestic digs that can just be left in the house. They are extremely smart and have been known to rip apart drywall and wooden doors to escape or find their people. You need to have a proper containment set up outside to prevent them from escaping. In many cases they are mostly outside dogs ? Wolfdogs? But yeah.

Kitt said:
Oh I wasn't implying it was your dogs fault!! In a lot of cases it comes back to breeding. Backyard breeders will breed for money not the betterment of their breed. So there is a lot of inbreeding and sometimes dogs just aren't wired right :/ or they may just be very dog aggressive.

Naturepunk.tumblr.Com actually owns a low content wolfdog named Jude! But yes a wolfdog is still part wolf and are very difficult to keep. The are not domestic digs that can just be left in the house. They are extremely smart and have been known to rip apart drywall and wooden doors to escape or find their people. You need to have a proper containment set up outside to prevent them from escaping. In many cases they are mostly outside dogs ? Wolfdogs? But yeah.

Well, you aren't going to stop backyard breeders, so regulations have to concentrate on breeds of dog. If I had my way, any intact dog would require a $1000 per year licence fee and violators would get jail time. Neutered dogs get by with the current tag fees, whatever they are. Don't start talking about poor people. If they can't afford a $25-50 adoption fee, they can't afford to properly take care of a dog.

gcal said:
Well, you aren't going to stop backyard breeders, so regulations have to concentrate on breeds of dog. If I had my way, any intact dog would require a $1000 per year licence fee and violators would get jail time. Neutered dogs get by with the current tag fees, whatever they are. Don't start talking about poor people. If they can't afford a $25-50 adoption fee, they can't afford to properly take care of a dog.
Part of me disagrees with you on this as it is too nanny state for me to tolerate but boy oh boy does the animal lover in my want to give you a virtual high five.
John

Konaexpress said:
Part of me disagrees with you on this as it is too nanny state for me to tolerate but boy oh boy does the animal lover in my want to give you a virtual high five.
John
About 1.2 million healthy, adoptable  dogs are put down every year because there are more dogs than there are homes for them. Tell that to the part of you that dislikes the nanny state. When there is a surplus of anything, people are wasteful with it and will discard it with hardly a thought.

We always get used dogs when we need one, which is more often than most because I prefer an older dog to having to put up with The Puppy Nuts. But we only take one dog out of circulation at a time. After the current dog goes, we won't be taking another, so this potential dog home is lost. I love dogs and have always had them, but my allergies are getting harder to control with time and exposure. I am tired of always feeling like I am coming down with a cold.

Not even looking for dog news, but today (like almost every day), a pit bull attack is in the news:
was viciously mauled by a young pit bull. His father, [snip], said the attack was unprovoked. Officials [snip] said the dog doesn't have a history of attacks and they believe the incident was random

I disagree: there is nothing random about a Killing Machine attacking a child; that's what they do.

gcal said:

You really want to know what would stop backyard breeders???? IF PEOPLE STOPPED BUYING FROM THEM. But I digress. Also please tell me where you live where the adoption fee is $25-$50 ?? From our county shelter it's about $200 a dog after the initial adoption fee, mandatory microchip ($30-$50 even though I can get a microchip at our local feed supply store for $10) as well as licensing and all that fun stuff. Just go ahead and forget it if you live in a mobile home or a van. Hell good luck if you live in an apartment. Went to a shelter next town over and adopted a staffie named cookie. Things didn't work out with my living situation there and I had to back out of the adoption. Hadn't taken the dog home yet or anything. Was told in no uncertain terms if I tried to adopt from there again I would be denied. And good luck at the other 2 county shelters. Rescues run $300-$400 a dog. And if you rent and don't have a huge backyard you'll probably be denied. I considered going to a BYB for my service dog but I decided when it's the right time the right dog or shelter will adopt to me.

Also yes poor people ?? Like who the frickle frackle can afford that yearly ? Me and my working mother can't! Yet we manage to care for our 10 year old lab/pitbull mix and 3 cats just fine. Vet visits when they need. It's irresponsible owners who are the problem.

If you take the profit out of it, no BYB would exist. They are in it for the money, not the dogs. This also goes for pet stores and puppy mills. My dogs will come from a shelter/rescue or a responsible breeder. It will just depend on what I can afford. For my service dog I'm going to shelter because I can afford that. Especially for a german shepherd. I can afford the $200 adoption fee. Not so the $2500-$3000 breeders in California are asking. NAID runs anywhere from $950-$2000 depending on the cross and kennel.

I agree dogs aren't cheap. But a lot of people don't have $1,000 extra to spend. What about homeless people, like my crazy uncle ed? Well he's not a good example. He was a multi millionaire but chose to live on the streets of Santa Barbara.

I dunno. Could be because I'm 19 and see the world differently than most of you. I'm pretty young to be getting ready for this life style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts