Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last day of the year. 12-31-23 123123

no champagne in my cupboard but I do have some sparkling cider with rum to toast in the new year 🥳

Attention all...

TAKE A NAP today!!

Because you will not be sleeping to night due to the fireworks that will be all around us!!

Looks like there are now FOUR Tempest weather stations in the Quartzsite area. These are privately owned small weather instruments that are connected to the internet.

You can click on the station icons and keep up with the current and projected weather conditions in and around Pirate Camp.

https://tempestwx.com/map/124283/33.6444/-114.147/12
When you click on a station icon, it should bring up a list of current conditions, with an amber or gold colored top border. If you click on the name of the station, such as RV_WEATHER, it will take you to a detailed presentation of weather information for the next week or so.

You can always bookmark that page in your browser to be able to easily return to it later.

Looks like there are now FOUR Tempest weather stations in the Quartzsite area. These are privately owned small weather instruments that are connected to the internet.
There are a couple stations in the Wunderground network too. Search for Quartzsite and then click the "Change" button next to the weather station name.

Attention all...

TAKE A NAP today!!

Because you will not be sleeping to night due to the fireworks that will be all around us!!
Fireworks are not legal in the city of Quartzsite or on the BLM. La Posa South is within the city limits of Quartzsite. So not much in the way of fireworks is going to happen. Of course those who love to break rules will always be with us. The gunfire you sometimes hear at La Posa South is an example of that, it too is illegal. You are likely to hear some of that noise at midnight.

Last edited:
Day 1 of January 2024, it’s 6pm, it is chilly enough temperature wise outdoors that I put up my insulated window coverings and pulled down the popup top on my trailer to reduce the volume of space I need to heat. Then I made some hot chocolate and crawled into bed with pillows for a backrest and got under the warm blankets to settle in and watch some videos. Last year on January 1 had just set up camp the afternoon of New Years Eve on BLM land just south of the mine tailings piles near Ajo, AZ. It was a beautiful campsite, the desert vegetation is more lush and varied than around Quartzsite.

Two weeks at pirate camp produced cheesecake, turkey, installation of usb cable from downstairs to up, and replacement of the front shocks with the help of an impact wrench, breaker bars and an extra 1-1/8" socket... thanks Pirates! I also help someone try to get their brain wrapped around electricity and solar... not so easy for those not mechanically inclined.

Attachments

• 319909416_1362915404454545_1588193600814466331_n.jpg
    319909416_1362915404454545_1588193600814466331_n.jpg
    105.3 KB
I forgot it's moving day.......Thanks for being here !
Mooooooving day

new shocks made a difference! I can really feall the back ones not cutting it now...

yer welcome... see u soon .. :D

Launch Alert

Launch time: 6:13 p.m. PST (9:13 p.m. EST / 0213 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California

7:13 Pirate time... could be visible....

Just so you know they launch from there so if they fail they crash into the Pacific Ocean!

...............it's running late...............t-20 minutes........7:45

EDIT..................NOW delayed till 8:15 camp time.....8:44......and LAUNCH but we couldn't SEE a thing in Q

Last edited:
The sky area in Pirate Camp Quartzsite is not good for “Dark Sky” viewing. Quartzsite might be a small town but it has old style lighting that produces a lot of light pollution in the sky even at La Posa South. I really notice the amount of light pollution at night when returning to Lake Havasu City, Quartzsite and Yuma after spending the warm months camping in the “Dark Sky Protected” areas in Northern Arizona near Williams, Tusayan and Flagstaff.

Last edited:
South Eastern corner of Utah and the 184 mile length of Lake Powell in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area has no grid power. So there are areas for more than 50 miles in diameter with little or no artificial light. By the way I have some photographs somewhere of Titan ll launches out of a silo from Vandenburg from my time there in 1970 if you need a fix! Lol!!!

South Eastern corner of Utah and the 184 mile length of Lake Powell in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area has no grid power. So there are areas for more than 50 miles in diameter with little or no artificial light. By the way I have some photographs somewhere of Titan ll launches out of a silo from Vandenburg from my time there in 1970 if you need a fix! Lol!!!
Maybe a movie night? Haha! Good meeting you... I couldn’t get up that hill with my camper. So I’m out on the road coming up the hill from the dumpster... it’ll have to do. I hated being cramped! I’ll call my site the satellite pirate camp!
After a horrible night of pain, I got some relief today. Not the best whatever on my arm. Don’t really want to post here.

^^^ the aches and pains from a lifetime of wear and tear on body parts are not the kind of reward one wishes to reap in old age from working hard when younger.

Maybe a movie night? Haha! Good meeting you... I couldn’t get up that hill with my camper. So I’m out on the road coming up the hill from the dumpster... it’ll have to do. I hated being cramped! I’ll call my site the satellite pirate camp!
After a horrible night of pain, I got some relief today. Not the best whatever on my arm. Don’t really want to post here.
Maybe an idea for a new flag, a skeleton shooting a moon bent over looking backwards! Lol!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.