Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
‘Dirty Kids’ is a term I’ve just now heard here at Van Aid, also in reference to SkooliePalooza. It’s certainly a thing. In other contexts I’ve heard the term ‘wookie’ used referencing the scruffy long haired Chewbacca from Star Wars.

It’s certainly a thing, and certainly a problem. Personally, I think the solution is helping those kids to find gainful employment. Likely though a significant portion are not employable.

There appears to be one such individual here, roaming late at night. Likely also camped on the outskirts.

My $.02 has always been that we need to have stronger independent specialty teams that can vet and coordinate volunteers. The sewing folks are doing the best job at this.

I’d also include panel presentations that included discussions of evolving practices as well as general information.

I’m not charismatic enough to lead Van aid, but advancing something along these lines is in my wheelhouse.

The problem with DJTooley's idea of how to run it, is contrary to the entire premise of "nobody runs it"... There is a new group "Van Aid Uncensored"... perhpas float the idea over there.... again.. the whole promise of Van AId is that no one is really in charge, no one runs the event, I don't arrange work, or get involved with who works for who.... and frankly, if you wanted to create a team to precheck workers and needers... go right ahead and do it.. .someone bemoaned that there wasn't a Kitchen like last year, and the response was , that's because no one made it happen... again, the premise is notfor one person to create a Van Aid build nirvana, but for people themselves to make it happen... Instead we get feed back like DJs whining about what it could be or should be, but no one is will to actually DO anything to make that happen... When Tyll tried topas it on .. not a one came foward... except me.. as such .. I did it the way I wanted to ... it is a benevolent dictatorship... and if anyone wants to make something happenwithin the guidelines of the gathering, they need to step up and do it.

Some people showed up "expecting an army of people to descend on their rigs to make them everything they dreamed" ... entitlement is real and those aflicted know not who they are.

Then there are the outright assholes who just make life for other miserable, because I assume they are miserable people and feel they need to share. Like the ones that get all pissedoff be cause you gently secured a dog that was pssing on people stuff... they got right upset... felt that others were trying to "run their lives".... what a shit show that is.... all because we ask that people keep dogs at home, *I* am deemed a right asshole trying to control everything, and make rules I lord over people with...... selfish pricks that they are, the concept of modified behavior in a large public gathering infurtiates them....

Everyone has the brilliant iea, but no one wants to run the idea or think it through to hoe it would function.

I know DJs heart is in the right place, but creating any set path of action opens up someone to unpleasant interference of lawyers insurance and culpability.

It is just human nature in my opinion that the more people come the more problems you have to deal with. Please keep in mind we all have the capability to become mean unreasonable people, just please don’t let it bleed over into this forum as here only positive helpful information is to be posted. There are options for personal communication and they should be used when you want to go outside the general rules on this public forum. If you don’t like the environment and you are a nomad you have the ability to move on! I had a friend once that had a dog problem on his problem on his property he couldn’t get resolved with the dog owner. He shot the dog in the ear with a small caliber riffle while it was in his chicken coop killing his chickens, put the corpse in the road and ran over it with his truck then went to the owner and told him he was sorry his dog got run over but he should have kept him inside his property.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts