Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Where the @#$% are you ?..........Yes we remember...........Gully washer/Frog strangler in the desert tonight !

The Washes are flowing.......................

That storm was indeed a “gulley washer”.

I was mopping condensation off my windows this morning as my insulated, reflective, window coverings that help hold in heat are not airtight. It is not super cold this morning but I have my diesel heater on as it does remove some of the moisture from the interior and exhaust it to the exterior. Of course the outside humidity, despite a mostly blue sky overhead, is still very high as the ground is saturated with water.

I finally did get around to changing out my wiper blades to new ones yesterday morning …just before the deluge.

So it was a productive week, heater fixed, a generator now setup and running and new wiper blades too. My new screen room arrived yesterday! But I want to add extra waterproofing liquid to the roof and put in reinforcing on the tie out fittings. No enough time for those task to get completed this weekend. I also need to make a rainfly for the roof to keep the top from getting sun rotted. The tent has to be setup so I can take measurements for a custom rainfly. Sun rot on the roof is what ruined my last screen room. I will have to talk to Camilla about using her sewing tent and machine for creating that custom rainfly.

Last edited:
3+ hours of baking yesterday kicked my battery hard... the convection oven sucks down 1800+ watts .... the inverter can actually handle higher loads better than the built in gen.... but the big gen isn't running great. I did make it through the day with end result being two gorgeous cheesycakes an some weird thing I made with leftover batter.

Today I am deploying the tiny gen to get the battery back up to a decent level of charge, so I apologize for the extended run time.... and of course on Monday it will be Turkey roasting time and more gen noise... damn these inconsiderate gen runners, eh? lol.. :)

I ran my little generator for a while yesterday evening to top up my battery before quiet hour was over so that I would have some reserve power if I woke up extra early and wanted to fire up my diesel heater. There were lots of generators running last night because of that very cloudy afternoon. I just drown out the noise with a video or audio book. Plus I am pretty much used to very noisy background noise having spent a lot of years working in the largest volume building in the word. La Posa South is definitely not a quiet place to camp. Neither were other locations I was in when camping near Flagstaff where shooting is allowed as well as off-road vehicles. Where I camp near the Grand Canyon I am under the flight path at the local airport. But the loudest was when I was camped at the fairgrounds in Monroe, WA during the shutdown of most camping areas in 2020. That was next to the Evergreen Spprdway, a Nascar sanction track. There were races all weekend plus practice activity everyday during the weekdays. The public could not attend the races furing the Covid shutdown
3+ hours of baking yesterday kicked my battery hard... the convection oven sucks down 1800+ watts .... the inverter can actually handle higher loads better than the built in gen.... but the big gen isn't running great. I did make it through the day with end result being two gorgeous cheesycakes an some weird thing I made with leftover batter.

Today I am deploying the tiny gen to get the battery back up to a decent level of charge, so I apologize for the extended run time.... and of course on Monday it will be Turkey roasting time and more gen noise... damn these inconsiderate gen runners, eh? lol.. :)

but the drivers and crews were allowed to continue the race season.
IMG_1240.jpeg

Thanks all for the great xmas day... all the great food and the people that made it... !!

However! My one spoon disappeared. If anyone one has an extra, I would appreciate it....

I try when I see one, but parking this barge is usually an issue....

I had two spoons once! :D
I am likely heading to Walmart in Parker ina day or two if you want me to get you a few. Just let me know the size of spoon. The small ones for stirring tea or the bigger ones for soup or cereal or a serving sized spoon.

I found a replacement cover for a 10x 10 canopy at K&B tools. I will be modifying it to make a rain fly/ UV protection for my new popup screen room. It came in the color red which is just right for going with my trailer and car. It is the fabric type I was planning on using, polyester, which is a good UV resistant fabric, and it has a waterproof PU coating on the underside. PU stand for polyurethane. A “vinyl” coating applied to the underside of woven fabric. Some cutting and sewing definitely required to adapt it but the overall cost is lower than buying the fabric by the yard. Plus I do not have to wait on mail order delivery.

That upgrading a standard, off the shelf, popup hub style screen room with a rain fly that provides extra UV protection means that it should last years longer than typical. The upgrading projects will keep me busy for a while.

One of the things I use a screen room for is washing and drying the cutting mats I need for making the little cardstock kits. I can string clothes line up inside it. When I went to toss my trash in the La Posa South dumpster this morning someone had put a package in the free pile with a brand new package of clothes line and some clothes pins! It was meant to be that I found it when I needed it 👍

Last edited:
I found a replacement cover for a 10x 10 canopy at K&B tools. I will be modifying it to make a rain fly/ UV protection for my new popup screen room. It came in the color red which is just right for going with my trailer and car. It is the fabric type I was planning on using, polyester, which is a good UV resistant fabric, and it has a waterproof PU coating on the underside. PU stand for polyurethane. A “vinyl” coating applied to the underside of woven fabric. Some cutting and sewing definitely required to adapt it but the overall cost is lower than buying the fabric by the yard. Plus I do not have to wait on mail order delivery.

That upgrading a standard, off the shelf, popup hub style screen room with a rain fly that provides extra UV protection means that it should last years longer than typical. The upgrading projects will keep me busy for a while.

One of the things I use a screen room for is washing and drying the cutting mats I need for making the little cardstock kits. I can string clothes line up inside it. When I went to toss my trash in the La Posa South dumpster this morning someone had put a package in the free pile with a brand new package of clothes line and some clothes pins! It was meant to be that I found it when I needed it 👍
That's the great thing about the free pile. I did not have shoes, and there it was a brand-new tennis shoe that fit perfectly. It's especially helpful for people who are just starting out, stuff that is needed that may not have been considered.

Pretty weather with sunshine today, but not as warm as 70s. I would have to camp near Yuma to get that warm. But I am content to be where I am, the living is easy and I am very much appreciating that. ☕

Status
Not open for further replies.