Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...am bring a quadriplegic turkey to roast... and cheeeeeesecake for xmas dinner... Brian is bringing a Ham (currently resting peacefully in my fridge)
the howa caravan is next door... 17 peeps at their fire the other night....
I have champagne and OJ... mimosas at noon!
Mimosas! Oh boy, I need to get busy preparing my contributions. Thought I might make a pot of Pesole….

Welcome to a new season of "Fun in the Sun" in the Arizona Desert

Of course Pirate Camp is in its usual home in the LTVA South in Quartzsite Arizona

Had my first all-day service.......a poorly installed Diesel Heater.......and it STILL needs work.....waiting on parts

This year problems center around POWER STATIONS............Folks have BIG power banks and they can't utilize the power like they want...............

Bluetti ciggy plug is limited to about 10 amps....................Chinese Diesel Heaters NEED 12 amps

SOLUTION is add a 120 volt brick that can provide 12v +12amps.....................CON: inverter losses

again using Bluetti ciggy plug for Refrigerator.............Once the reefer reaches temp and cycles Off....... the Bluetti shuts OFF and requires a PUSH to start

SOLUTION is to use the 120v brick and power the frig from the Bluetti inverter...............CON: same inverter loss

BEN........Jason and Brian arrive soon for Christmas...maybe a dozen rigs in camp by then....Ham and Fixins are planned for the Day

AND it looks like the BLM is making waves.....harassing HOWA Caravans about "Planned Events" on public land
What is BML management doing to harass HOWA? I would like to know so that I can avoid being harassed by them. Thanks

This year problems center around POWER STATIONS............Folks have BIG power banks and they can't utilize the power like they want...............
Power stations, indeed. Even mine is getting an overhaul this year, though it's not the same as an all-in-one power station.

It's getting a 2nd battery (possibly even a 3rd depending on prices, discounts etc.), a new Victron charge controller, a Victron shunt, a new inverter and a couple of buss bars. There will also be a new power center build involved.

Also considering adding a drawer in the back under the bed for easier access to that storage room.

Now for a couple of questions...

I am considering changing my fridge from a 12v ciggy plug to an Anderson connector, any reason I shouldn't? Perhaps hook it directly to the 12 volt fuse block? Perhaps opt for a locking ciggy plug socket instead so I don't have to cut the cord?

Does anyone know a good, fair body shop somewhat nearby? I'm pretty sure my sliding door was knocked out of alignment. I can't get it to close properly most of the time and can't keep a window latch from breaking to save my life (been through a total of three at this point including the original).

Good morning............Pirate Camp has a new toy on loan......a 10" table saw..........Camila and John bought out a Phoenix Estate Sale...........Sewing Machine (hand cranked) and a "TON" of Upholstery fabric.......Table saw....Skill saw..........and more !

I'm remodeling the long/tall van......time to replace plastic bins with REAL drawers

Ben......North Country............arrived yesterday at dusk

Only 11 more days til FESTIVUS.................the shiney alumium pole..........Meatloaf dinner.........Airing of Grievances..... and finally Feats of Strength.............."For the rest of us"..........Join us Sat. Dec 23rd !
I would like to join you guys on Dec. 23. Would you please give me the coordinates of the Pirate Camp? Thanks

What is BML management doing to harass HOWA? I would like to know so that I can avoid being harassed by them. Thanks
The BLM
Does not want ”organized” events without permits that are planned in advance to be held on public lands in the 14 day dispersed camping areas.

Thursday night, December 21st at 7:27 pm is officially the winter solstice at pacific standard time.

Is there going to be a casual campfire gathering at Pirate Camp to mark the occasion? Seems like an easy thing to arrange. I will get a box of wood when I go into town.

Thursday night, December 21st at 7:27 pm is officially the winter solstice at pacific standard time.

Is there going to be a casual campfire gathering at Pirate Camp to mark the occasion? Seems like an easy thing to arrange. I will get a box of wood when I go into town.
There ya go, organizing an event!!! Haha!

^ THURSDAY Night Sounds WET !......................

Festivus........ MEATLOAF Potluck on Sat. night.......Feats of Strength.......Airing of Grievances.....the Aluminum Pole.......(Seinfeld reference)

Santa Watch ....Sunday night.......Campfire and Snack's......Smores, Nuts, Sausage in sauce, CreamCheeseSALMON

and for CHRISTMAS LateAfternoon.........Ham/turkey Potluck....with all the Fixins and PIES !

Ho Ho Ho ! Merry Christmas..................You're Welcome to Join

Last edited:
A 47% chance of rain statistically means there is a better than equal chance it won’t rain 😋

Festivus..,I will eat my meatloaf quickly or take it to go so I can leave before the airing of grievances begin. I would not want to offend a bunch of grumpy old men who love to wallow in it with my wanting to change the subject to “goodwill towards men”.

Last edited:
No signup is required and attendance is not required or even recommended. Also no guarantee that the campfire will even happen as that is weather dependent. But as it is not inside the Magic Circle there is a casual dress code for this particular historic “definetly disorganized” event.

I am off to fetch a box of firewood, some of which may or may not get burned tonight.

The Solstice campfire turned out to have absolutely perfect and enjoyable weather. The smoke from the campfire rose straight up as there was barely any wind. Stars and moon were visible, not even one drop of rain. Bonus points there was a drive by parade of OHVs all lit up for Christmas. Lots of laughter and mellow conversation. Even the dogs were on their best behavior.

Thank goodness it was not an organized event because they never turn out that perfect 🤣

Part one of my semiannual generator switch and servicing to get my Noah’s Arc ready for this all-day heavy overcast with a 100% chance of rain.

I switched out the jet in my little Honda 1,000 watt generator to the one for low altitude. I have moved it into the “doghouse” rain shed I created for it this past summer. The rain cover is a customized fit to go over my folding scaffold stand.The fabric is strong waterproof polyester PU coated cloth that is sold by the yard at Walmart. Perfect for a strong outdoor camping gear project. I have a zipper at one end that allows me to pull back the flaps on one of the narrow side ends of my scaffold stand. The exhaust port on the generator faces that opening. The generator is elevated off the ground on a sturdy plastic crate. I also have the generator and the scaffold table secured and locked to the frame of my travel trailer. IMG_1239.jpeg

The Quartzsite free car wash is now open!

Status
Not open for further replies.