Picking your Brains Fellow Campers!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yooo NOMADS..this is going to be a long post so bear with me, I'm a newby... I wanted to pick your brain a little bit.  I'm a single 44yr old cardiac ICU nurse living in Fresno, CA. with no kids My life is good, got 200K saved up in the bank, got the 401K stuff at work with full benefits.  I work 2 to 3 shifts a week so I have a lot of free time on my hands.  I often go to Monterey or Pismo, SF, or LA, but these hotels are killing me at least 100 bucks a night and even 200 to 300% more during the on season! So I've been contemplating investing no more than 30K on a Honda Pilot  and using that vehicle to car camp in to save money.  I've been doing some research on that vehicle and its very reliable and holds its resale value well.  I myself have an old 2001 Honda Accord that has dings and dents on the exterior but it purrs like a kitten.  I'm the type of guy that holds onto his stuff.  So I've been looking at 2012 to 2115 Honda Pilot because they have a lot of space and 3rd row seating, 4WD etc.  But I haven't seen a lot of Pilot rebuilt into campers.  I've seen plenty of minivans, Honda Element, Honda CRV, and Prius' converts...but not Pilots. Basically my question is with that 30K, I want to either get a top of the line Pilot with all the bells and whistles and use it for weekend getaways in order to get out yet save money on room and board by remote camping or using campsites, or even urban boondocking in LA, or SF. But if I get the top of the line Pilot I wouldn't exactly enjoy taking it to remote dusty muddy areas like No cal or even to the dusty Desert areas like Josh Tree or remote BLM land because I would want to keep it looking pristine.  So my other alternative would be to get a cheaper Pilot with a lot of miles on it or maybe a lower class Pilot like an EX model, they sell for about 20K to 28K, that way its not that big of an investment and basically I can take it anywhere and basically trash it.I also was looking into rebuilding it into a camper and was wondering how much that would cost and if there was a place in Central Cali that does this..like I said money isn't really a barrier. Just an extra tidbit..30K can buy a nice used Class C, but that's just not in me right now, I feel that several issues make that deal unattractive like vehicle storage, maintenance and upkeep, driving logistics of a  bigger rig like that, cost of registration and insurance, fuel costs, etc. so I'm just curious of your thoughts.  Thanks! Oh btw....your thoughts on maybe I should just get a cargo van???

Attachments

• 2014-Honda-Pilot-AWD-Touring-Beauty-Side-Done-Small.jpg
    2014-Honda-Pilot-AWD-Touring-Beauty-Side-Done-Small.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 16
Welcome Blasian Invasion to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. I am not up to date on Hondas so I will let others chime in. I will say this, I would not buy a brand new 4wd and then not use it. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

Want to show you this Element first:

1613_163_0908_21zhonda_element_camperrear_three_quarters_view.jpg

Now,  I don't know if a pop-up roof kit like this is available for the Pilot or not.  But it sure looks good
on the Element.

Welcome Im not a car camper, but best of luck in your searches.

Welcome! I like that Pilot, but that Element with the pop top would be more comfy
Then again, I don't think the Element is available in 4wd

ArtW said:
Welcome! I like that Pilot, but that Element with the pop top would be more comfy

Hello. Yes you're probably right. I like the design and look of the pilot however. I'm not sure if they have a pop up kit designed for the pilot. I was thinking of camper conversion by taking out the back 2 rows and conctructing a big box to serve as storage and bed. And also use a tent that attaches to the open tailgate of the pilot.

Attachments

• IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 9
ArtW said:

I'm looking to do something like this.

Attachments

• IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi and Welcome. 

30k for a Pilot? You can get a fairly nice used Ford Transit or something similar for half that amount and be more comfortable. Although, truth be told I'd buy another used Pilot again, if the right one came along. I wouldn't spend 30k on one.

I have an '06 Pilot I purchased 8 years ago for 6k from a honda dealer in SoCal. About 8 months of the year I spend traveling and camping out of it. It does well off the pavement for a 2wd, never been stuck, but I have some good tires. It's small inside so I devised a tent canopy thing to pop up when I lift the back hatch. I wouldn't modify the the top in any way. 230k miles and 23mpg, still going strong. 

The Element sit lower and can be modified for a roof tent.  

Here's a forum you might like
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/30382-cargo-area-camping.html

Good luck & have fun.

On one trip I used long pieces of pvc and tent fabric to cantilever through the roof rack, a car tent of a sort. The 2 back passenger doors and hatch could be left open during a rain storm for ventilation and ease of walking around. It worked out well. 

Back in the 90's I worked at Baylor's CCU in Dallas.

My wife calls me cheap but I sure hate to spend money on really nice vehicles. I think cutting some corners on the front end will allow you more money for the adventures you have in it. Plus, as you point out, having something really new and clean could prevent you from going really cool places that could change that status.

Just my thoughts anyway.

--joe

That's similar to what I've done with my Ranger, though I don't have the tent
I have my bed directly in the bed, with a shelf over to hold stuff I want back there but don't want to sleep with lol
I tried a raised platform with storage under, but it was too cramped and I didn't like the windows being right there in front of me while io was sleeping
I sort of want a tent like that, but yikes! $300

PathofAsha said:
That works.

Hello and greetings. Yes we seem to be on the same page. A lot of these pilots with all the bells and whistles like navi, 4wd, low miles, etc will be close to 40k brand new. The used Touring top of the line models are about 10 k cheaper. But I want an SUV that I can take out on the weekend to camp, then use it when I'm at my home city to commute to work or just drive around town. I'm not sure what that other vehicle you recommends" me get (a van)??. But If it is a van then that's what I'm talking about...it would be cool to travel and  camp in it, but not so cool to use it as you're "city" car. So in your opinion you recommend me get an older pilot with higher miles? That way I can take it out and not worry about trashing it? Because if I get the top line pilot then I would prolly only stick to campgrounds.

Attachments

• IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 12
ArtW said:
That's similar to what I've done with my Ranger, though I don't have the tent
I have my bed directly in the bed, with a shelf over to hold stuff I want back there but don't want to sleep with lol
I tried a raised platform with storage under, but it was too cramped and I didn't like the windows being right there in front of me while io was sleeping
I sort of want a tent like that, but yikes! $300

Thanks Artw. "Bed directly in the bed"? After a little thought I think I understand what you meant. I'm looking into once I get the Pilot then to take it a shop that they specialize in converting to camper. Idk. The tent thing sounded kinda good because to have extra living space would be nice. And I'm not sure if I would want to sleep in my car or in the tent because everyone has a certain phermonal smell and after a while my car starts to have that sour musty smell from breath and skin flakes. Is there any way around this? Fantastic fan? Idk. I'm totally new at this.

Attachments

• IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 8
Joseph_Grey said:
My wife calls me cheap but I sure hate to spend money on really nice vehicles.   I think cutting some corners on the front end will allow you more money for the adventures you have in it.   Plus, as you point out, having something really new and clean could prevent you from going really cool places that could change that status.

Just my thoughts anyway.

--joe

Dude Joe I couldn't agree with you more. I could very easily get a nice cargo van for that money like Bob did. But I want a happy medium where I can have a vehicle to camp in, yet have a semi fashionable vehicle to travel in my home city, take a girly out in. Etc. does that make sense? Idk. Totally green at this. I'm slowly gearing towards an older lower model Pilot without the bells and whistles, that way I can take it back farther than just campgrounds and basically trash it because I've invested 20k instead of 32k lol.

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

Want to show you this Element first:

1613_163_0908_21zhonda_element_camperrear_three_quarters_view.jpg

Now,  I don't know if a pop-up roof kit like this is available for the Pilot or not.  But it sure looks good
on the Element.

Yes it sure does look good now doesn't it....hmmm. Thanks! I just don't know. I'm still in the planning phase. Do they even make Honda Elements anymore?

ArtW said:

Really? More comfy than with the Honda Pilot with the 2rows removed and a bed placed in that space?

Attachments

• IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4019.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 9
PathofAsha said:
Hi and Welcome. 

30k for a Pilot? You can get a fairly nice used Ford Transit or something similar for half that amount and be more comfortable. Although, truth be told I'd buy another used Pilot again, if the right one came along. I wouldn't spend 30k on one.

I have an '06 Pilot I purchased 8 years ago for 6k from a honda dealer in SoCal. About 8 months of the year I spend traveling and camping out of it. It does well off the pavement for a 2wd, never been stuck, but I have some good tires. It's small inside so I devised a tent canopy thing to pop up when I lift the back hatch. I wouldn't modify the the top in any way. 230k miles and 23mpg, still going strong. 

The Element sit lower and can be modified for a roof tent.  

Here's a forum you might like
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/30382-cargo-area-camping.html

Good luck & have fun.

I tell ya what, thanks for the Piloteers URL, I just stumbled upon that site last week while researching. But anyways...you must be the MAN, to get a Pilot 8 yrs ago (which would put the yr around 2008), and you buy a 2006 Pilot for was it 6k?  Daaamn can you go buy me a Pilot and I give you the money lolol! Always got good deals in So cal. I'm slowly going away from the fancy Touring Pilot model and going towards an older model with higher miles. Doesn't really matter for Hondas are very reliable. Just gotta do the maintenance. That Way I can use the money I saved in buying an older Pilot and paying a camper conversion company to take out the 2 back rows and build and upholster a box frame for storage on the bottom and a Bed on top for sleeping. How much do you think that Will cost anyway?

blasian.. What an beautiful mix... Anyways... There is this fella on Youtube who lives is His Honda Element.. I think his channel name is Elementalvanlive. Kinda like a Pilot... I think.. :)

Blasian_Invasian said:
The used Touring top of the line models are about 10 k cheaper. But I want an SUV that I can take out on the weekend to camp, then use it when I'm at my home city to commute to work or just drive around town. I'm not sure what that other vehicle you recommends" me get (a van)??. But If it is a van then that's what I'm talking about...it would be cool to travel and  camp in it, but not so cool to use it as you're "city" car. So in your opinion you recommend me get an older pilot with higher miles? 

I hear ya on the dual purpose aspect. Same for me. Honestly, I've been looking for a van myself but just can't seem to find the same value for the money. A 2015 Ford Transit can be had for about 20k but I wouldn't want to drive it every day in the city.

My Pilot is the older body style (2003-2008) which has about 52 cu ft of cargo room whereas the next model newer (2009-2015) has about 87 cu ft of cargo room. Yes, mine is smaller but the entire interior is leather (doors, steering wheel, seats, dash.) No interior noises when traveling but the ride is not as smooth as the 2nd gen. It's more of a stiff, bouncy ride. So if you go with an older model keep that in mind. The 2nd gen (2009-2015) is mostly plastic and has a different feel and ride altogether. There's been times I've wanted more space but I don't want to drive a larger car. The tent option takes care of that.

If you're interested in a 2012 4wd in San Diego for 20k. http://www.hoehnhonda.com/used/Hond...lsbad+CA-3fac36ac0a0e0ae8490a3e22868df20f.htm  A good compromise. 

Personally I would find a decent used one under $10k due to depreciation. You know they last if maintained so it's really a no brainer I think. Especially for what you'll be using it for. 
Mine still passes a CA smog test with flying colors and isn't showing any signs of slowing down. Honda did a good job with this one.  :heart: