Picking your Brains Fellow Campers!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtW said:
Welcome! I like that Pilot, but that Element with the pop top would be more comfy
Then again, I don't think the Element is available in 4wd

The Element was made in AWD.  Very reliable vehicle.  I would choose the Element over the Pilot.

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you like it here.

I do not recommend Honda or Toyota products made in this decade.  Up to around 2008 both firms made a lot of good vehicles. 

The only auto firms that I recommend these days for new or recent model years are Mazda, GM and Hyundai/Kia.

The above is from personal hands on experience and from keeping abreast with the auto industry.  I have an educational background in manufacturing, a lot of auto repair and was a motorcycle mechanic in another life.  Lots of factory training in motorcycle diagnostics and repair.

From my introductory post on this forum:

I can offer my help in automotive diagnostic, emissions and driveability.  I took the Calif. Smog license course to better hone my already deep focus on diagnostics.  Never sought to be a paid smog tech.  Please don't ask me to lay hands on your vehicle.  Advice is what I'm offering.

There are a lot folks here that are very experienced in all the tech skills need to make life on the road more self sufficient and far more economical.

Blasian_Invasian said:
But anyways...you must be the MAN, to get a Pilot 8 yrs ago (which would put the yr around 2008), and you buy a 2006 Pilot for was it 6k?   I'm slowly going away from the fancy Touring Pilot model and going towards an older model with higher miles. That Way I can use the money I saved in buying an older Pilot and paying a camper conversion company to take out the 2 back rows and build and upholster a box frame for storage on the bottom and a Bed on top for sleeping.  How much do you think that Will cost anyway?

Haha. Well, it was a fairly new car then but had high miles. The lady who owned it previously traveled extensively but the car was immaculate and well maintained. I worked the dealer down 5k to my price which was KBB value plus $500. 
*Always buy at the end of a month and always offer a clean , cash deal. *Never show any emotion or too much interest. *Point out as many flaws as possible. *Don't sit in a chair and get comfortable, stand and talk. *Do your research prior and know what the car is worth. *Be prepared to walk away. There's always another deal around the corner. Just some pointers I picked up from briefly working at a dealership in the 80's. If it was a private party I would use different tactics.

There are big ticket items at the 100k and 200k intervals but it's the same with any engine. All in all I still haven't spent anywhere near 20k. 

You really can't go wrong with an older, well maintained model. It just depends which body style you prefer & how much space you need. The 2nd gen has almost double the cargo room, so something to consider if you modify the interior. 

I don't know of anyplace offhand that works on modifying Pilots. You could ask the VW bus refurb places. They might have the tools and the knowledge. Or maybe post a thread on the Piloteers forum. I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for a bed platform to be built by someone with skill. A camper conversion company like Sportsmobile might do it but would be pricey probably.

I'm looking forward to some pictures of your finished Pilot one day.

Blasian_Invasian said:
Really? More comfy than with the Honda Pilot with the 2rows removed and a bed placed in that space?

The Element was discontinued because Honda felt the 2nd gen pilot and CRV would cover the market, so I was told. The Elements are very roomy, reliable but not as nicely appointed. They are more like a camper, boxy and no carpet. Easy to access and keep clean as well but shorter in stance. Personally I don't like the way the doors open. It might fit your use better since you want to take the seats out. 

A custom camp floor for the element https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/5992823239.html 

Definitely more room than a Pilot.

steamjam1 said:
blasian.. What an beautiful mix... Anyways... There is this fella on Youtube who lives is His Honda Element.. I think his channel name  is Elementalvanlive. Kinda like a Pilot... I think.. :)
Hello and thank you for your compliment. I will have to check his channel out. But truthfully...I'm tired of all the Elements and prius' rebuilds. I'm stuck on Pilots and that's the route I'm going. Looks like I just might have to start a Pilot-camper community lol

The Element comes in a true AWD. It is no longer made. They are great vehicles. That camper top is awesome. My mother has one. They also manufacture a similar top for a jeep of some sort. This could.get you the off road ability.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Blasian, my setup in my Ranger with high rise cap:
sheet of 1/2" plywood laid directly on the bed floor, with a foam mattress on top, and sleeping bag
2x lumber across bed rails / camper shell rails, with 1/2 ply on top
2 totes, one for food, one for clothes, etc
tools in back of extended cab

this gives me the most room for sleeping / living in a 6 foot pickup bed, not that I am even close to full timing in it, I just do short trips as I can

The reason I like the Element is the pop top, I hate the lack of overhead space in my shell

I've looked for those pop top tent roof conversions (that would fit a Pilot) like you see on the Element and the Jeeps, made by Ursa Minor. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the Pilot's structure would lend itself to such an installation now.  At least the Jeeps are  a 4X4 platform that can be fitted with this type of roof.   

It's just a thought.

jeep-camper-package-hp.png

eDJ_ said:
I've looked for those pop top tent roof conversions (that would fit a Pilot) like you see on the Element and the Jeeps, made by Ursa Minor. 
I'm beginning to wonder if the Pilot's structure would lend itself to such an installation now.  At least the Jeeps are  a 4X4 platform that can be fitted with this type of roof.   
The company, Ursa Minor, says it uses existing roof openings in it's applications. My Pilots sunroof is too small for anyone to crawl through so some cutting of the roof would need to be done. Maybe a sportsmobile type camper conversion would be the way to go for a Pilot instead.

PathofAsha said:
The company, Ursa Minor, says it uses existing roof openings in it's applications. 

Yeah, the moon roof over the back seat in the Element is pretty huge. And, yes, that is the opening they used. No actual modification to the roof.

Sportsmobile can do anything. I'm sure they could handle a Pilot camper top. Why not.

PathofAsha said:
I hear ya on the dual purpose aspect. Same for me. Honestly, I've been looking for a van myself but just can't seem to find the same value for the money. A 2015 Ford Transit can be had for about 20k but I wouldn't want to drive it every day in the city.

My Pilot is the older body style (2003-2008) which has about 52 cu ft of cargo room whereas the next model newer (2009-2015) has about 87 cu ft of cargo room. Yes, mine is smaller but the entire interior is leather (doors, steering wheel, seats, dash.) No interior noises when traveling but the ride is not as smooth as the 2nd gen. It's more of a stiff, bouncy ride. So if you go with an older model keep that in mind. The 2nd gen (2009-2015) is mostly plastic and has a different feel and ride altogether. There's been times I've wanted more space but I don't want to drive a larger car. The tent option takes care of that.

If you're interested in a 2012 4wd in San Diego for 20k. http://www.hoehnhonda.com/used/Hond...lsbad+CA-3fac36ac0a0e0ae8490a3e22868df20f.htm  A good compromise. 

Personally I would find a decent used one under $10k due to depreciation. You know they last if maintained so it's really a no brainer I think. Especially for what you'll be using it for. 
Mine still passes a CA smog test with flying colors and isn't showing any signs of slowing down. Honda did a good job with this one.  :heart:
Hey Path thanks for your insight.  Heres my 2 cents...Im looking for a 2nd gen Pilot because as you said, it has more cargo room.  I'm more leaning towards an older model Pilot however its going to be hard to find  a 2nd generation Pilot for under 10K or maybe it will have 2 million miles on it.  But thanks for the URL, it's a very clean looking Pilot indeed.  And I don't mind purchasing a Pilot with a lot of miles.  Carmax has one Pilot Touring 4WD in Duarte with 101K miles for 21K.

Blasian_Invasian said:
Yooo NOMADS.. and use it for weekend getaways in order to get out yet save money on room and board by remote camping or using campsites, or even urban boondocking in LA, or SF...  taking it to remote dusty muddy areas like No cal or even to the dusty Desert areas like Josh Tree or remote BLM land

Just an extra tidbit..30K can buy a nice used Class C, but that's just not in me right now, I feel that several issues make that deal unattractive like vehicle storage, maintenance and upkeep, driving logistics of a  bigger rig like that, cost of registration and insurance, fuel costs, etc. so I'm just curious of your thoughts.  Thanks! Oh btw....your thoughts on maybe I should just get a cargo van???

First, by way of experience, I've been backpacking, boondocking, motorcycle camping, bicycle camping, have tent camped out of Jeeps and Toyota Land Cruisers, and had a veritable parade of class A, B, and C mohos and travel trailers in the past thirty-five years.  I lived in a '70 Airstream Safari Special 23' for a year.   Each vehicle and trailer is fun in its own way, and each has places and uses that they're best suited for.

That said, I heavily edited your original post to isolate those things that I think are really important in what you said you want to do with your rig.

If you want a Honda Pilot because you want a Honda Pilot, then go buy one. There's nothing magical about SUVs, and especially a Honda SUV. They're great mommy-mobiles and freeway-warriors, but off-road they really aren't very competent compared to purpose-built 4WDs. I had an Element AWD six-speed manual for a number of years. It was a great bad-weather car, and I absolutely loved the thing, but I traded it after three years for a Toyota FJ 'Cruiser, a true 4WD. The Element never went off-road.  SUVs of any ilk are fine for day trips.  And yes, folks tent camp out of them... and even full-time in them.  But that's not comfortable living IMHO, and is kind of a PITA because you have to set up and tear down every time you stop... and nothing is even remotely secure when you're not at your campsite. 

So, from what you describe, a 4WD class B van conversion meets all your criteria (except, of course, that it's not a Honda Pilot) and especially since money isn't really an obstacle for you. You'll pay a premium for the 4WD conversion-van based Class B, but it'll scratch all your itches, and touch all those spots you want to go; it'll allow you to stealth camp if you want to, and stand up to the use.  It doesn't need to be stored and can be used as a daily driver if you want.  

There are also Toyota FJ-40 troop carrier conversions and Land Rover Defender 109/110 camper conversions by Dormobile and other manufacturers similar to the YK Jeep conversion posted earlier in the thread.

Good luck!

hqdefault.jpg

2cf79def0e549cca043b034693fbce65.jpg

ad377a991c58cf5d9ab277c19e71fdad.jpg

PathofAsha said:
Sportsmobile can do anything. I'm sure they could handle a Pilot camper top. Why not.

what is sportsmobile? I seen some pics when I googled 'Sportsmobile" GOSH that looks like a serious Modified Van! No way I can drive that BEAST around my city on the weekdays lol.

hepcat said:
First, by way of experience, I've been backpacking, boondocking, motorcycle camping, bicycle camping, have tent camped out of Jeeps and Toyota Land Cruisers, and had a veritable parade of class A, B, and C mohos and travel trailers in the past thirty-five years.  I lived in a '70 Airstream Safari Special 23' for a year.   Each vehicle and trailer is fun in its own way, and each has places and uses that they're best suited for.

That said, I heavily edited your original post to isolate those things that I think are really important in what you said you want to do with your rig.

If you want a Honda Pilot because you want a Honda Pilot, then go buy one.  There's nothing magical about SUVs, and especially a Honda SUV.  They're great mommy-mobiles and freeway-warriors, but off-road they really aren't very competent compared to purpose-built 4WDs.  I had an Element AWD six-speed manual for a number of years.  It was a great bad-weather car, and I absolutely loved the thing, but I traded it after three years for a Toyota FJ 'Cruiser, a true 4WD.  The Element never went off-road.  SUVs of any ilk are fine for day trips.  And yes, folks tent camp out of them... and even full-time in them.  But that's not comfortable living IMHO, and is kind of a PITA because you have to set up and tear down every time you stop... and nothing is even remotely secure when you're not at your campsite. 

So, from what you describe, a 4WD class B van conversion meets all your criteria (except, of course, that it's not a Honda Pilot) and especially since money isn't really an obstacle for you. You'll pay a premium for the 4WD conversion-van based Class B, but it'll scratch all your itches, and touch all those spots you want to go; it'll allow you to stealth camp if you want to, and stand up to the use.  It doesn't need to be stored and can be used as a daily driver if you want.  

There are also Toyota FJ-40 troop carrier conversions and Land Rover Defender 109/110 camper conversions by Dormobile and other manufacturers similar to the YK Jeep conversion posted earlier in the thread.

Good luck!

hqdefault.jpg

2cf79def0e549cca043b034693fbce65.jpg

ad377a991c58cf5d9ab277c19e71fdad.jpg

thanks for your honesty, and you are right..I am partial to Honda Pilot.  The pics that you have included are waaay to serious of campers for me.  I'm just a beginner and this stuff looks pretty damn serious. I cant even see myself driving this thing casually around my city.  and doenst look like it would be stealthy if I were to urban boondock in the Bay are or So cal.

Blasian_Invasian said:
what is sportsmobile? I seen some pics when I googled 'Sportsmobile" GOSH that looks like a serious Modified Van! No way I can drive that BEAST around my city on the weekdays lol.

Sportsmobile is a company that can probably add the camper top to the Pilot. They do aftermarket conversions on many different vehicles. You can pick and choose how you want your vehicle modified to your needs. 

http://sportsmobile.com/

Blasian_Invasian said:
thanks for your honesty, and you are right..I am partial to Honda Pilot.  The pics that you have included are waaay to serious of campers for me.  I'm just a beginner and this stuff looks pretty damn serious. I cant even see myself driving this thing casually around my city.  and doenst look like it would be stealthy if I were to urban boondock in the Bay are or So cal.

You're welcome.  Sometimes our desire to buy something obscures what we really need to do the job, and sometimes we aren't very clear about what the job is we want it to do.

I guess I don't know what a "serious camper" is?  I was translating what you said you wanted to do with the vehicle into something that is up to the tasks described...  they ARE serious 4WD units which is what you need if you're planning on doing serious off-road driving and boondocking.  If you're just planning on doing tent-camping in developed campgrounds, then any car will do.  

The 4WDs I linked to in the photos are interesting and unusual because they're also comfortable campers for traveling in the back-country.  That said, they're probably not such good urban 'stealth campers.'  Any standard B-van is probably better for that.

If you look around Fresno/San Joaquin Valley you can get a deal on a small motorhome or conversion van..2-3 thousand. Bought a 33 ft late 80's winnebago for 500 a couple years ago in Fresno and after cleaning and making it reliable sold it quickly for 3k. Last time in was in Fresno I acquired a 20 foot tandem camp trailer with kitchen ripped out for Free! Look around for a deal...If use Craig's list.