Pet etiquette in Quartside

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some bad dog owners are really ruining things for all of you responsible dog owners.

A few days ago I walked out of our camper with my coffee (we were camped in a pay county park campground).   As I stepped off the stairs, I was charged by a rather huge pit bull.  The owner was parked in one of the other camping spots in his car, fishing.  His wife or girlfriend was just sitting near the car.   I jumped back up the stairs into the RV before the barking dog got to my legs.  

There is a huge sign in the campground that says all dogs must be on a leash, under owner control, and not a nuisance.

I ducked back outside and yelled at him to get his f.. dog on a leash.  He mumbled something about how it probably was not attacking and they were leaving.   I had a can of mace in my hand but the dog had been put back in the car.

My experience has just not been good.   If  I could vote on it, I would vote for all dogs to be on leashes when on public property.   The reason is because this guy will see your cute corgi off leash and not bothering a soul and feel like he has the right to have his uncontrolled pitt bull off leash too.

IGBT, I almost agree with you. But unfortunately not all of those little rascals who look friendly, like the Corgi, is as friendly as it looks. NO, it may not do as much harm to you or your pet as a Rot, but still it can do some damage.
I do agree tho, on the leash all the pets on public property.

I always have mine on leash, except when she is in our car, our cat too is leashed, but only to be better able to catch her, if she decides she wants out, before I am ready to allow her out.

Sharon

We leash ours (she thinks chipmunks are sushi:), but because of this when unleashed dogs are around she gets more territorial...she has a tendency to be more aggressive to unleashed dogs while she is on a leash.

If an unleashed dog gets into it with our leashed dog, the unleashed dog is going to lose

*** "If an unleashed dog gets into it with our leashed dog, the unleashed dog is going to lose" ***

Raven+Squid....what kind of dog do you have?

My dogs were so well socialized until I was attracted from behind on a walk. One lab took off as three cute little 30 pound schnauzers went berserk on the other one. We had to avoid dogs after that because Cerberus the three headed demon dog thought everything was a threat and dad needed protecting. I'm miss them but wouldn't want them at the RTR.

My dog"Apex" is a well minded dog that gets along with just about anything going on. I still live S&B and she knows the boundaries of the property and minds them well, but when I travel and I camp a lot. I keep her on the leash just to be certain
of where she is and not wandering aimlessness possibly finding trouble. I think it is a not common courtesy found among many.

Raven+Squid said:
If an unleashed dog gets into it with our leashed dog, the unleashed dog is going to lose

On leash or not, you are still responsible if your dog is the aggressor.

DannyB1954 said:
On leash or not, you are still responsible if your dog is the aggressor.

At least in Minnesota, the unleashed dog is assumed the aggressor; the unleashed dog can retreat, the leashed dog cannot.  It would take an unusual circumstance for that to change (e.g. you are in the other dogs yard).  The court defines the unleashed dog as not being under the owners control, therefore the owner is at fault.

-- Spiff

We're getting off topic, here. Here's the bottom line. Bob has asked that all dogs at the RTR be kept leashed. Some people may not know or care, because that's how people are.

:D

My cat and I are enjoying the dog fight.   :p

Here's my take on dogs. I love all dogs to death and would love nothing more than all dogs to be able to roam free. But with large gatherings such as this, there are a myriad of reasons it can't happen. With out getting into them all, I'd just like to point out one of them.

No matter how well behaved someone's dog is, others have a very real fear/phobia of dogs. Some people just don't like dogs. They can't and won't be comfortable if your dog is free to roam around. There are times and places it's acceptable to have your dog unleashed and times and places when it's not.

GotSmart said:
:D

My cat and I are enjoying the dog fight.   :p

So am I.
Makes no difference on whether you agree or not, the rules are just that rules. If we choose to break them, we also are choosing to pay that fine.  JMHO

If I am fortunate enough to get to the RTR in Jan.  My pets will both be on leash.  Just because I am a responsible pet owner, and don't want her/them to bother those who aren't as fond as pets as I.

Sharon

#1BonBonQueen said:
 Also, all OHVs must be operated in accordance with State laws
and regulations relating to use, registration, operation, and inspection of OHVs(43 CFR
8341.1{d}).

Queenie and I would like to know whatsa OHV?

HIYSPFO

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
Queenie and I would like to know whatsa OHV?

Off Highway Vehicle. ATV, dirt bike, dune buggy, etc.

Now the converstion has turned to OHVs?

Seems this discussion has been talked through.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.