Personal cleaning options for long term camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these options could you be clean and comfortable with long term?

• Baby wipes

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Spray bottle

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Washbasin

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Solar shower

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Pressure shower

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Bathroom shower

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters

skyl4rk

Reaction score
A vandwelling camper or stealthcamper can use baby wipes to clean ones self (and I am talking about cleaning one's crotch in this post) but it is really only a way to freshen up a bit, delaying the need for an eventual shower. 

A full on modern shower is wonderful, but it takes a lot of water and fuel to heat up the water, so it is not really feasible in a mobile or camping situation.

Between those two options there are (in order of water and energy use) spray bottle washing, washbasin washing, solar shower washing and pressure sprayer washing (pesticide canister).  All of these use less water and energy than a real shower.

While cleaning one's self, we humans have a need for privacy.  There has to be enough room to disrobe and hang or store clothes without them getting wet.  There needs to be enough room for the user to squat down to clean one's self, with some support to avoid balance problems. There needs to be a floor which can take drips and splashes resulting from cleaning, and the water runoff needs to be managed.  There needs to be a way to avoid stepping in wet dirt. 

Ideally, a boondocker or stealthcamper needs to find a way to clean one's self that will work on a long term basis, and will not have one wanting to hit a real shower as soon as possible. 

For a stealthcamper, washing needs to be done inside a van. 

Option: Spraybottle

Privacy: close van curtains
Space: need an area of about 3'x3'
Waterproof floor: stand on a towel, or in a tray or bin
Greywater: dump tray or bin outside, dry towel outside
Dirt: not a problem inside van

Option: Washbasin

Privacy: close curtains
Waterproof floor: stand on a towel, or in a tray or bin
Greywater: dump tray or bin outside, dry towel outside
Dirt: not a problem inside van

A boondocker can set something up outside for privacy, such as a shower tent or a tarp set up as a walled shelter to block views.  

Option: Solar shower 

Privacy: tent shower or tarp shelter, could change to shorts in the van, return to van to get fully clothed.
Waterproof floor: need a pallet or something to stand on
Greywater: short showers can drain to ground if sloped correctly
Dirt: put shoes/sandals on in shelter or have carpet path between shower and van.
Source of water: Solar shower hung on something above shelter.
The solar shower is an option in the afternoon due to solar heat accumulation.

Option: Pressure sprayer shower 

Privacy: tent shower or tarp shelter, could change to shorts in the van, return to van to get fully clothed.
Waterproof floor: need a pallet or something to stand on
Greywater: short showers can drain to ground if sloped correctly
Dirt: put shoes/sandals on in shelter or have carpet path between shower and van.
Source of water: Pressure canister filled with hot water, heated on cooker.

Are there other options?

Which of these options could you be comfortable and clean with on a long term basis?

All of the above. It depends on everything from the weather to the environment (urban vs. rural)

My minimum comfortable level would be solar shower. What I have done in the past during 6 month camping sprees are the wipes alone, wipes/wash basin, and then some type of shower. The wash basin worked to keep me clean enough(maybe went 2 months with this way), but after I got a 12 volt shower pump,warm water in a bucket, and a portable privacy/shower enclosure, the wash basin just didn't cut it anymore. Switching this year from the 12v pump to a hand pump pressure type system and from the videos I saw, should be almost identical to the powered shower, just no need to pull out the portable power supply. We do not use a "floor" with the popup enclosure, so the feet get muddy but not really an issue. We can sit down and wipe off feet before adding socks/boots to feet. I voted solar shower, but it's a solar shower with pressure.

Cry said:
... We do not use a "floor" with the popup enclosure, so the feet get muddy but not really an issue. We can sit down and wipe off feet before adding socks/boots to feet....
Are you using one of the shower tents?

Yeah on the shower tent. A lil restrictive for space on the inside, but not horribly so. I am 5'8 and hefty, if I was much taller, the privacy/shower popup we use would not work very well for me.

flying kurbmaster said:
how do you wash your hair?

I use shampoo on my hair/beard maybe once every month or two. Otherwise, I just wash it with water when in shower.

My hair is medium length. I used a 2 or 3 gallon bucket, outside. I turned my head upside down and dunked into the bucket, used a cup to get the back of my neck wet. Suds up, then dunk again. I had a gallon jug full of clean water if I didn't get a good enough rinse. I was able to do this urban stealthing. Maybe not as often as I'd have liked but.....
For washing up other "parts", I used the bucket and a wash cloth.
This is for when I was in Palm Springs in 100+ temps.

I wash hair by wetting it with wet wash cloth from small basin with warm water - use shampoo - rinse with wash cloth then fresh warm water from squeeze bottle - use soapy water in basin from hair wash to wash rest of body - add some warm water as I go - use about a quart of water - have short hair

I tend to be pretty frugal with water, but I like my daily shower.

Sometimes I just use spray bottles, but I also have a pump shower that I like to use that uses very little water, and requires no power.

Since this has both a hand pump and a foot pump, it is especially nice because I can hang it and use it hands free while I do my hair or backside.  One pump equals one squirt of water, very frugal.  Here's a picture:

siphon_shower.jpg

When water is plentiful, sometimes I will use a garden sprayer with a kitchen sink sprayer attached to the hose.  Not as frugal, but gives a very powerful shower.  With a simple velcro strip, this can be fixed to the on position as needed too.

solar_garden_sprayer_shower.jpg

Painted black, it is also a solar shower.

This one is also very handy to wash things outside, and I have even washed my van with mine.  Since it doesn't require any power, it is a truly nice portable unit with a lot of versatility.

Attachments

• siphon_shower.jpg
    siphon_shower.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 33
  • solar_garden_sprayer_shower.jpg
    solar_garden_sprayer_shower.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 25
We have used all of the poll options, used solar shower long term - even in cold weather, by heating up the water over fire. Now we use a pressure shower pressurized by an rv pump - battery operated and heated by an rv on demand water heater - using a 20lb lp canister. Showers are always brief when you are hauling your water, but it is nice to be able to shower clean. For me anyway.

Garden sprayer + kitchen sink sprayer = brilliance!

That setup will be my next investment I think. I heat water on the stove and until I get the above setup I use cups for rinsing. I use a 3.5 gallon bucket for the hot soapy water and put that over a Tupperware container lid from a 25+ gallon container to catch stray water. After washing and rinsing pits, face and head I sit on the bucket for my naughty bits. Feet are last. Rinse over bucket. Dry with Towell. Dump grey water and wipe down tray with Towell. Done deal. Always looking for a better way though.

Mr.LooRead said:
You don't need a kitchen sprayer just cut the wand down to nothing.
Kinda like the 90 degree angle of the kitchen sprayer but I see your point. Maybe cut it short and heat bend a 90 in it.

well I have used all the methods except the weed sprayer. I used to use baby wipes, but no more very environmentally unfriendly. spray bottle, pain. wash basin, just ok. solar shower, not when it's below freezing. so that's why when I build my trailer I will have a shower. I don't need a shower everyday, about once every week or two. you see I do a lot of digging for gold and if you do digging you get dirty, I mean real dirty. right now I need to pay for showers and at an average of 7 bucks it adds up. I also don't like the smelly stuff meant to mask the funk which makes a shower that much more important. so I will have a shower. highdesertranger

I thank my nursing school instructors for teaching us how to give a proper sponge bath :) Now years later I'm going to give the power sprayer a try when I travel.Also when camping with the grandkids I'll have a proper weapon for the inevitable water fights!