Landrover re configure into a one person home on wheels.... TELL BOB!! SHOWER & POOP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
SOMEONE TELL BOB..... MY SHOWER AND POOP ARRANGEMENTS

Remember my build brief?

My platform is my shelter and my transport. Everything else must happen outside, unless mother- nature is throwing her toys at me.... Then I need to make a plan... So that includes personal hygiene and going to the toilet.

Two weekends past, I did a shakedown of my plan as a shelter, in reasonably cold weather, (-4 Deg c) but in an established campground,  
So that was shelter / cooking / bicycling for the most part sorted, but toileting & showering was not part of those trials.

But I was not too concerned, as I’ve been solo camping for many years, and much of my gear / ideas / concepts where tried and tested with my previous 4x4 a Defender, (A pre- test if you will) so I kinda had to just make sure it all blended together, and with a bit of adjustment, using the same ideas........... It all works

So this weekend that’s exactly what I did..... I made sure that personal hygiene & toileting are fine.

Showering.
I have two systems. The submersible 12v pump & hand held shower head which I mostly use when I’m static camping, and the solar bag when I’m out for a trip / short stay.

Fact is, both work very well.

However, I’ve been left dry once before, because the pump rusted up inside, because I did not clear the water out when I stowed it, so I hauled out the bag..... (I'm more than happy to post about my 12v system, if anybody wants, just ask)

I prefer the solar bag, from my 65L roof top water tank, I tap +- 6L (1 ½ kettle) cold water in, then 4L boiled water & that gives me a nice hot shower.

But BOB, quite correctly points out, that lifting 10+ Kg up onto a hook above your head.... well, can you do that? So here is my trick.
I use the mechanical advantage of a pulley, which (for all intense and purposes) halves the weight.
Also by hooking the anchor hook at different places the bag hangs low or high. When low I get to the fiddly bits,and when high I do my head.

Shaving and brushing teeth is done in a cheap smallish round basin, saves water.

The pulley is attached to a gantry that I welded up out of a couple of pieces of scrap square bar, and that slots into a bracket that’s made from slightly bigger square bar, fastened to the side of my roof rack. A pull-out frame completes the shower by throwing 3 pieces of 100 % shade-net over the top

Then it’s no problem at all.... I think Pictures will best show what I’m doing....

Stowage on the roof rack, in that funny shaped bag, and yes that's a vice up there as well, which fits into my reciever... I'll go into that sometime.

landy re config 7 shower a gantry stowage.jpg

The gantry with the pully attached

landy re config 7 shower i gantry in bag.jpg

Gantry assembled into bracket bolted to the side of the roof-rack

landy re config 7 shower d gantry in roofrack brkt.jpg

Bag hooked onto rope on the ground, (don't have elevate a heavy bag)

landy re config 7 shower e bag attached.jpg

Bag at half height for fiddly bits - see pull out churtain rail

landy re config 7 shower g bag low fiddly bits.jpg

Bag high to wash my top stuff

landy re config 7 shower g bag high.jpg 

Something to stand on.. (I also put on a pair of cheap flip-flops)

landy re config 7 shower j something to stand on.jpg

The whole set up (no curtain to show pictures)

landy re config 7 shower d the set up.jpg

My shower in the field (This gantries previous version)

Remote camping 1.jpg

My 12v submersable punp system, where I use a collapsing bucket

landy re config 7 shower k pump system.jpg

Attachments

• landy re config 7 shower a gantry stowage.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower a gantry stowage.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 13
  • landy re config 7 shower i gantry in bag.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower i gantry in bag.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • landy re config 7 shower d gantry in roofrack brkt.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower d gantry in roofrack brkt.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • landy re config 7 shower e bag attached.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower e bag attached.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • landy re config 7 shower g bag low fiddly bits.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower g bag low fiddly bits.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 9
  • landy re config 7 shower j something to stand on.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower j something to stand on.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • landy re config 7 shower d the set up.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower d the set up.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Remote camping 1.jpg
    Remote camping 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7
  • landy re config 7 shower k pump system.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower k pump system.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • landy re config 7 shower g bag high.jpg
    landy re config 7 shower g bag high.jpg
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 7
I went with a 5 gallon bucket and a 12v submersible pump something like yours. If it was just me, I could get 3 showers out of 5 gallons. With 2 of us, I take about 1.5 gallons and she uses the rest. Pump on and wet down, pump off and suds\scrub, then pump on and rinse off.

With the bucket painted black, by 3-4pm(in good sunlight), the shower can sometimes be almost to hot for me.

Neat setup ya have there!

Hi Wabbit

The issues I’ve had with the 12v immersable pump are: -

It once stopped working due to internal rust because I didn’t pump it dry before stowing, so I learnt that one. IE pump it really dry before stowing.

If the pump intake lifts out of the water then you have to re-prime the pump. So keeping the pump intake at the bottom of the bucket... Here I just made a simple hook that hooks over the side of the collapsing bucket, but forces the bottom of the pump to stay down at the bottom.

Switching on and off between lathering up and rinsing off... Also necessitates re-priming, and is a pain if it’s my head that’s all lathered up.
I just drop the shower head into the water supply bucket so that the water reticulates through the pump and back into the supply bucket until I need to rinse off, and switch off after I’m done showering.

The set up... Which set up? My new one or my old one? The green Defender was my previous set up and the Discovery is my new one, or just landrover's in general?... :

Landrover's and I have a lot in common actually... Both are as cantankerous as hell, both are not that popular, both "leak" (at 60, I'm allowed to "leak") and we just keep on going and going and going until we fall apart in a heap of old worn out body parts :D

use a bilge pump,

they are cheap
they are totally submersible
no priming needed they self-prime
they are meant to pump salt water so it's all stainless and plastic(no rust)
some come apart without tools so they can be cleaned easily

I use them for prospecting so I have several.

highdesertranger

Hi fellas, many thanks for the input.

But what and where things are available here in this tiny neck of the woods is vastly different to what you fellas have access to over there, and I would be horrified at the prices I’d have to pay :(

But this is an ”ideas forum”, and the idea would be very relevant over your side of the big blue pond, but here all I can do only chuck it in my ”look out for one” mental file..

I hope the gist of my post helps those that do use the solar bag & find it difficult to hook it up, consider a piece of rope & a pulley....