Pepper drinks to heat the body

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The use of hot peppers developed in hot climates. Heated drinks developed in cold climates. I thought hot peppers cooled the body.

James AKA Lynx said:
Do you anything to drink that helps get the body warm or cure a cold? besides booze.

James AKA Lynx

I've heard that hot peppery foods does indeed help keep illnesses at bay. (maybe they burn the viruses outta your system???) Either way...I LOVE 'EM!!! (especially habaneros!) :p

the booze....well that basically helps you forget that you're sick at all!!! :D

The potential for helping to warm up is a really interesting possibility. Thanks for posing it.

Looks like a couple of researchers at UCLA presented a paper in 2010, looking into the possibility that hot peppers might increase metabolism and serve as an aid to weight loss (calories are a measure of energy expenditure and heat is a by product of metabolism -- that's related to why we sweat when we exercise).

From Science Daily:

Their data provided convincing evidence that, at least for several hours after the test meal was consumed, energy expenditure was significantly increased in the group consuming the highest amount of DCT. In fact, it was almost double that of the placebo group. This suggests that eating this pepper-derived substance that doesn't burn can have the same potential benefit as hot peppers at least in part by increasing food-induced heat production.

Also mentioned on WebMD (last section on this page under "Calorie Burning".

It sounds like it's certainly worth a try for someone who likes peppers, possibly as an extra boost to getting out of bed on a cold morning. Then again, maybe after all this mumbo jumbo, I've just described an omelette...

Because of the cold and flu season affecting people in cold climates due to reduced sun exposure, I stocked in plenty of Vitamin D-3, (2,000 mg per day), and every anti-viral herb or supplement I could find during a 2 day research binge on Google. And yes, Cayenne pepper is on the list as well as Kyolic aged garlic, and many other immune boosters, and respiratory aids.

Do they work? Well, recently I came down with that achy, feverish, fatigued feeling that signaled a bout of flu coming on. It wasn't a cold because there was no nasal stuffiness, mucous, etc. I got on a bunch of the remedies I had on hand, made some organic chicken soup, laced with a bit of cayenne, and went to bed. I drank the HOT soup/broth liberally during the day, and it really seemed to help me feel better and it was so nourishing.

You're not supposed to take fever reducers when fighting a cold, or virus, unless it gets over 102 or 103. Just go to bed, cover up and do the "cure". Anyways, by the next day, I was starting to feel better. Third day, it was totally over. I was impressed to get over it so fast, because I don't have a particularly strong immune system.

I try to keep some organic chicken or beef broth in the pantry and I heat it to the boiling point and then dash some black pepper or cayenne into it. It really warms you up on cold days and is also a sustaining, healing food during fasts. ~Scarlett

Some more ingredients for you - (this was found in another forum)

Foodborne Pathog Dis._ (http://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/23909775#)
2013 Nov;10(11):969- 76. doi: 10.1089/fpd. 2013.1560. Epub 2013 Aug 2.
Antimicrobial potential of flavoring ingredients against Bacillus cereus in
a milk-based beverage
Abstract
Natural ingredients- -cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla, and anise--were assessed
based on Bacillus cereus vegetative cell growth inhibition in a mixed liquid
whole egg and skim milk beverage (LWE-SM), under different conditions:
ingredient concentration (1, 2.5, and 5% [wt/vol]) and incubation temperature
(5, 10, and 22 °C). According to the results obtained, ingredients
significantly (p<0.05) reduced bacterial growth when .......