Pee bucket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
imageService.jpegThis is what I use for pee (I'm a chick). I use this for peeing and before I use the bucket for #2.  What stinks worst is when you mix urine and feces together. By keeping them separated,  I can tolerate odor until I empty the shit bucket the next morning (when I haven't been able to easily access a land-based toilet. I use kitty litter in the bucket and cover fresh crap with the litter after use. That helps with odor, too.

The pee jug gets carried and poured into a toilet or outhouse or, if out in the boonies,  a couple hundred of feet from where I'm parked.
Ted

Attachments

• imageService.jpeg
    imageService.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 67
Wow, I now know more about peeing and crapping that I ever thought I would, and you know, I never thought about it that much, I'm a man. Being in the oilfields, you're always driving around out in the wilderness unless you're offshore. I just pull over to the side of the road, go around to the passenger side, open the door, drop the britches, and do my thing. Mother nature takes care of it for me. I usually have a roll of paper towels handy on the passenger side with which to wipe. To pee the same thing, but I just un-zip, pee, shake, zip, and I'm done. I never thought about the ladies, though, and I can see that it can be a trick. Kudos Ladies!

I guess you’ll just have to bag them till you get to a garbage can.

Cammalu said:
I guess you’ll just have to bag them till you get to a garbage can.

Thanks, but that might not be the best option. They take up a lot of space, contents are all mixed in the diaper, and as one nice lady on this thread has already mentioned, the aroma gets rather ripe. I can't store them outside, or animals get into them and scatter asunder, not good either. This will take some thought.

An Edit: You know, life is full of surprises, and we are often caught off guard at what life can throw at us, but never in my wildest imagination did I think that someday I would be subscribed to a forum thread discussing excrement/diaper disposal out of necessity. Life is never dull, and one never stops learning.

Cajunwolf said:
Thanks, but that might not be the best option. They take up a lot of space, contents are all mixed in the diaper, and as one nice lady on this thread has already mentioned, the aroma gets rather ripe. I can't store them outside, or animals get into them and scatter asunder, not good either. This will take some thought.

You might want to think about putting a hitch box platform on the back of your vehicle. The swing away platform works well when you need access to back doors. Instead of buying their expensive big box I outfitted mine with a Husky Tradesman Tool Box that is water/dust proof which means that it is also smell proof. Use it exclusively for storing all the smelly stuff and you've got yourself an animal proof box that is outside the living quarters.

Here's the link to the swing away site: https://www.stowaway2.com/

If you don't need access to anything at the back of a vehicle then a regular platform base is much cheaper but I still recommend putting a heavy duty box on it like the Husky.

@Almost There,

Thank you, sir! An excellent suggestion. I haven't figured out, as yet, exactly how I want to rig out. I'm down to two lines of thought at the moment. A 1-ton van to pull a nice used RV trailer, something in the 20-foot plus range, or a used Class C and pull my 2k Jeep Grand Cherokee that I'd hate to sell. In either case, your suggestion is a workable solution.

LoL:
State Trooper: "what's in the box, sir?"
Me: "Just some soiled diapers, officer."
Trooper: "Sir, can you open it so I can be sure?"
Me: "It would be my pleasure, officer."

I would suggest you purchase a roll of bag material and a bag sealer that has a heat strip in it. That will keep the odors of the dirty diapers under control and keep critters both four legged and two legged such as yourself from smelling them. Of course it does mean you will need to have an inverter to power the bag sealer. These larger size bag sealers are not something you can buy in stores as they are mostly used by companies that ship items to customers including food items that need to be reliably sealed.

I found my bag sealer at a thrift store but you could search in such stores for years before you come across one. There are also used ones on Ebay that could help keep your cost down so that is a better place to look for a used unit. Yes it is extra work to use a sealer and with a disabled daughter you already have plenty of that. But at least it will give you a viable solution and more reliable method of odor control versus using zip lock bags or bags with twist ties. They are also liquid tight (if you get it sealed right) which reduces the chance of a messy leak.

You will quickly figure out how long the bag needs to be. Then you can cut and seal one end of a stack of bags so that your time is reduced when you need to deal with a soiled diaper. The better quality units heat up very quickly so pay attention, read manuals about heating time before you click a button to make a purchase. Time matters when you want to get that soiled diaper quickly contained.

I buy bags for my small business from gtags.com, They do sell the poly tube rolls. They do same day shipping if you order on a weekday morning.

An alternative method of sealing is packaging tape.That is a strong and agressive tape if you purchase the heavy duty variety. It is more labor time than using a heat sealer. Although with practice and a good setup the time it takes will quickly get reduced after the learning curve is gone through.

The above link seems to be pretty nice.

For me a decent sleeping area and a place to do hygiene is most important. I intend to do something similar as to what is in the link. I also intend (hope) to have the ability to shower as well.  toilet put in a washbasin  of sorts... placed next to the sink and use the same sprayer/faucet hose for shower. All stored nderneath a counter with hinge.

Mod edit: the above link is for building a composite toilet. it's just under 20 minutes long. you must include a complete description of what you are linking to.

@BuckleBrown,

LoL, good video, and entertaining. I'd make it a little taller myself, so my knees wouldn't be in my chest like squatting in the woods.
Those sprinter vans are sweet but expensive.
As to a shower, as mentioned, I have a special needs daughter, she's autistic, and kind of freaks out in a shower. I'm looking for a small, but not too small, RV style bathtub, if anyone sees one somewhere, let me know.

@maki2

Thank you so much! That looks ideal. I am going to check this out. I get her diapers bulk and about two months worth at a time. I could time this at the same time once I figure quantities. That takes up a lot of space, but It has to be worked out. I'll need a class C and something in the 30-foot plus range to make things work well. I need to rig her a bathtub; she's funny about a shower, it's the autism.

You don't say how old your daughter is, but when my grandson lived with me (also spectrum and other things) I used a rubber stock tank for his tub needs.  It's lightweight and can stow in the underbin, but very durable.  I got the 15 gallon oval one from Tractor Supply.  Would something like that work for her in a shower tent, or even inside on the available floor space?  I think it was under 30 bucks.  Here's an example from Walmart of all places  Stock Tank

@SheketEchad

Interesting, I'd thought of something similar. She's 16-years old now, so it needs to be reasonably significant. On the sailboat, it was simple. I flooded the aft cockpit with enough seawater, and we rinsed in fresh where I used a hose with a sprayer, and she got a kick out of that. Hey, I might just have to rent a cheap room every now and then. I've done that many times while on the road. A lot of the more low-cost motels will charge you less if all you do is use the bath and your own towels. No matter what, I have to put her needs first, If it were just me, I would live in a 1-ton extended van. I saw a large class C, maybe a B(?), that had a shower across from the head that had a high seal, and a man could make a slip in a waterproof panel to make it a tub of reasonable size. It was a 2001 Fleetwood 37-foot for $15.5k in excellent shape and only 87K miles on the Ford 6.8 V10. I didn't want something that big, but dang, that puppy is sweet!

You could add a cool sticker to the bottle just to make sure you keep your bottles straight. I have color coded opaque containers for that - and definitely would go with the wide mouth one. ~crofter
I have orange duct tape on the "used water" bottle so that it could never ever get mixed up with my "new water" nalgene bottles.

You have to be able to squat or sit. If balance is a problem, you will want something solid to hang onto such as a grab handle to support your weight. Aim is never 100 percent so put a couple paper towels under your chosen container before firing. Use a wide mouth container with lid, at least 3 plus inches wide. If you need to sit, you will want to modify a seat or use a bucket toilet as the seat and position your chosen container within the bucket. I have seen discarded camp chairs used for this very thing, hole is cut in the middle of the seat. You can put a pillow on it when not in use. The ladies using the tiny funnels and standing up are younger. Hope this helps! ~crofter
I put a doggie pee pad from the dollar store down before I peed in the bottle. Of course after doing it a couple times I thought I don't need the pee pad, I've got this down now. And of course I managed to get it on the rug. So now - pee pad every time.

FPxyJcVUcAI4IRq.jpg
I'm a guy and find this extra-thick, 1-gallon plastic ice-tea bottle makes an absolutely perfect pee bottle. On YouTube, I've seen other nomads using the same bottle. It perfectly fits in my footwell at the side doors next to my tall kitchen trash can. I keep it there below floor level in case there is ever a spill, liquid can only go under the door and out of the van. I have two of these bottles so that when one is ready to empty at my next opportunity, I'm using the other bottle, thus I'm never out of places to pee. After emptying, I pour 1/2 inch of white vinegar into it before the next use. This prevents both germ growth and eradicates bad smells so my pee never gets "old". (Vinegar works its wonders in my poop bucket as well, changing it into fresh "mud" you'd never guess used to be human waste. Much faster than composting.)

Last edited:
My biggest problem is finding a jug with a large enough opening for my spout.
A friend of mine gets the large sized laundry detergent jugs out of the laundromat trash cans. There's lots of them. She never has to dig in the trash at all. Just lift the lid and get one. She's in her 70's but not large at all.