Pee bucket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimes2019

Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve tried both pine and aspen pet bedding in my bucket toilet, and neither is absorbing well. I use it about 3 times before retiring the bag to the trash, and it’s not pretty. I also tried kitty litter and decided that stuffs just not meant for the volume a human produces. I don’t use it for poop, just pee. (City dweller for now) A friend used to just get free sawdust from Home Depot, and it seemed to work, but I can’t fit large amounts of cover material in my camper, so I just bought the small bags of pet bedding thinking it would be the same idea. Any suggestions? I’m considering the pee in a bottle and dump at the gas station method, but I don’t know yet.

For urine, just use a plastic gas can, laundry detergent bottle, large coffee container. For poop, that’s where the litter comes in. You need to separate 1 and 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@waldenbound I am not using it for poop at all. I live in the city, so I use public restrooms as much as possible. My bucket is for at night, primarily. I’m just concerned about where to dump a container with just pee and no cover. I kind of like the Nalgene bottle idea, since no one would look twice at me carrying it into a gas station and I could dump it in the toilet there. I’ve just been trying to make the bucket work. Frustrated that my solutions haven’t been working for me.

Nalgene bottle, wide mouth w/ screw on cap. I have 3 just in case I forget to empty one... or two.
Your overthinking this pee thing. Bucket ain't for pee'in in my humble opinion.

I have been using wide mouth orange Tide detergent bottles, the large ones. I put in a couple of ounces of cheap Walmart fabric softener after rinsing the jug out after emptying. Never any odor; works great. For urine, forget the sawdust and hampster bedding, etc. Just pee in the bottle!

Just my opinion . . .

I also have a couple of wide-mouth nalgene bottles bought in the Walmart camping section. They are dark colored so I can openly carry them into restrooms and such. They look like bottles for regular water.

Qxxx said:
They look like bottles for regular water.

You could add a cool sticker to the bottle just to make sure you keep your bottles straight. I have color coded opaque containers for that - and definitely would go with the wide mouth one. ~crofter

Ha, Crofter comes up with the big "gotcha". My actual water bottles are all clear. No mistakes.

:huh: i'm wondering if any of the previous people commenting are plump old women (70+) , and if so..how actually do you manage peeing in a bottle?? i'm afraid to try.

crackedpan said:
:huh: i'm wondering if any of the previous people commenting are plump old women (70+) , and if so..how actually do you manage peeing in a bottle?? i'm afraid to try.

I just saw a youtube vid where the woman said the devices (flexible funnels) made for women to pee into a bottle didn't work. Then she found a large flexible funnel in the cooking section at Walmart that worked great.

I'd like to know which material absorbs well for pee, too. Buckets are so much easier than a funnel, for me anyway.

crackedpan said:

You have to be able to squat or sit. If balance is a problem, you will want something solid to hang onto such as a grab handle to support your weight. Aim is never 100 percent so put a couple paper towels under your chosen container before firing. Use a wide mouth container with lid, at least 3 plus inches wide. If you need to sit, you will want to modify a seat or use a bucket toilet as the seat and position your chosen container within the bucket. I have seen discarded camp chairs used for this very thing, hole is cut in the middle of the seat. You can put a pillow on it when not in use. The ladies using the tiny funnels and standing up are younger. Hope this helps! ~crofter

If you do a forum search on "she wee", you'll find a number of threads where that's been discussed in the past. Similar for every issue related to bodily functions in the desert. Eg, a search on "kitty litter" will bring up many threads on poop issues. Similarly, "showering", ....

If one thing is for sure, it's that forum members are all highly opinionated on these issues, LOL.

I've never posted a picture before, so I hope you can see it.  I am a woman in my 60s.  I use a drink cooler with a wide mouth to pee.  It is probably a gallon size which is necessary for the many potty breaks during the night.  I put the tissue in the waste basket.  I have a small flashlight ($1 from Walmart that is clipped to the  side door handle at night.  I keep my pee container on the first step with the lid on.  (Don't want any accidents.)  When I have to pee, I turn on the flashlight that is hanging down, the van is still pretty dark.  I open the container and put my right foot on the step, my left knee is on the van floor.  I do my business and tighten the lid.  (I did use the jug for a #2 one time in an emergency situation.)

The next day, I put the gallon drink container, fully tightened, into my backpack.  I then take it to the first place of the day, either a park, library, gas station or eatery.   Don't take a backpack into a retail store, they may think you are stealing merchandise.  BTW, if I am in a forest or nature, I won't use the shampoo, and I will disperse the pee with a wide swinging motion unto the ground.

I dump the container in the toilet.  I then use my collapsible cup to put water in the jug and rinse.  I then put about 1/2 cup of water and a squirt of $1 (dollar store) shampoo in the container.   I leave the jug in the stall while I get water from the sink.  I don't want anyone to come into the restroom or see me doing the nasty.  I may use the "potty" during the day but I usually want to start the night with an empty container.

I also added a small bag with a toothbrush and toothpaste.  I might as well brush my teeth after taking care of business.

Qxxx said:
If you do a forum search on "she wee", you'll find a number of threads where that's been discussed in the past. Similar for every issue related to bodily functions in the desert. Eg, a search on "kitty litter" will bring up many threads on poop issues. Similarly, "showering", ....

If one thing is for sure, it's that forum members are all highly opinionated on these issues, LOL.

Gotcha. Thought "she wee" was a brand name. A lot of posts popped up in the forum search.

I use an empty water jug and a diesel funnel I found at Advance Auto parts because it was cheaper than all of the things I saw marketed just for that use, and it looks innocuous if for some reason I clumsily let it roll out of the van :D
(https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/flotool-super-quickfill-funnel-10714/9180024-P?searchTerm=funnel)
The Large iced coffee cups from Dunkin Donuts work well too, except for first thing in the morning if you've gone all night with no interruptions.

However, I am quite a bit under the age of 70 :) You do want to put a bin of some sort underneath just in case you have any leakage. I use one of those round wash up bins that you can find oodles of at Goodwill for .49-.99 cents. I'm going to change to a laundry detergent bottle in the future, as the opening is wider. It can get rather...interesting, in the middle of the night in the dark trying to do that balancing act! It is also very loud when you are using it for the first time, so if you're shy or camped close to others, keep that in mind.

My biggest problem is finding a jug with a large enough opening for my spout.

crackedpan said:
I am plump and within a very short distance of 70. You don't do it sitting down. You stand up, bend your knees a bit and your feet are far enough apart to fit the bottle up against you. But keep a good balance going. Press the mouth of the jar lightly against your urethral area and go for it. Practice it in the shower, that is the easy place to do your learning curve attempts since you can wash away less than perfect tries. I actually learned about it from a male friend, his wife (passed away) was an avid camper and hiker and she always took along a wide mouth canning jar on hikes. The reason being when you squat you sometimes can accidently pee on your feet or your pants that you have lowered. So not just for use inside the camper, you can take your Nalgene or other wide mouth bottle on a hike too. Oh and inside your RV you can put a towel on the floor under your feet, just in case.