Part time income, 15 minutes a week.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugster

Reaction score
A little back story, first.

My family decided to downsize a little and moved into a nice apartment complex (my first time) and it's been pretty cool. The apartment is large, the pool is nice and we are saving a bit of money while I am in school. 

Our apartment is on the end and there is a set of dumpsters nearby. I walk by it several times a day walking the dog. I started to notice a lot of things being set outside the dumpster, furniture, bikes, appliances. Not always lots of things left near the dumpster, but enough that I started to notice. 

One morning before 6:30, as I walked the dog, I noticed someone had put a very large boxed Mcfarlane action figure beside the dumpster. I remembered the McFarlane figures (Spawn) I used to get for my Brother In Law and they went for $20 or so 25 years ago, and this one was twice as big.

So, I grabbed it. I did a little research and it goes for $65 or so on Amazon. Score!

The other day, I saw two camping chairs in two bags sitting next to the dumpster. Grabbed those, too. $5 - $10 or so.

Was out this evening walking the dog and there was a large plastic dog crate. Deciding I might have a fun and easy part time income, I grabbed it. Checking Walmart, this size retails for $70 and up. Granted, I know they go for much cheaper on Craigslist, but $35 sounds good to me for stepping out of my door and walking the dog.

I am kicking myself for not grabbing the three or four bikes that have been dumped or the furniture.

I am starting to think an early morning drive to one or two complexes in the area may net me a decent part time income, doing something fun and easy.

I started to think something like this might work for urban van dwellers as well, as you usually leave your sleeping spot pretty early and you could spot whatever was dropped off the night before. Of course, you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself but it is something to think about.

Most van dwellers do not have a place to store finds.  My daughters apartment complex is on a regular route for someone that dives and takes and sells the finds.  Her place is a huge junk pile of things she is trying to turn over.  

I admit I have taken a few CD's, and a couple milk crates.  other than that I am constantly picking up after the divers so the place is clean

I don't normally do it for stuff to sell, but I definitely do it for stuff for myself or friends that I know need something. This is part of my living green strategy...

Had a friend at work who was a Master Dumpster Diver. It was amazing the good useful things he would find! He once gave me a nylon bag of .22LR and shotshell ammo he found. He couldn't use it, and he knew I was "The Gun Guy". My Dad found a heavy duty office chair once that I used for many years til it finally broke under my weight. It was thrown away for the crime of having a smear of white paint on the black vinyl! He also found a dark marble cabinet top, which I now have to use in my van conversion. Perfect size! He also scored a couple nice wrought iron patio chairs that only needed sand blasting and repainting, and my sister has them now.
It is true, one man's junk is another's treasure!

Want to score huge, go to a university town during finals and dive there. College kids have way better crap than we did back when and when they leave their apartment to move back to their single room at home for the summer they dump everything. You can get almost new beds, rugs, chairs, appliances... It's a goldmine.

The facts are it's really hard to give stuff to Goodwill/Salvation Army, Etc. They may agree to pick-up your apartment or rental property stuff, getting them to show up is a different matter. They would prefer you to bring it to them. This isn't always a good option for getting moved out on time. So many things , newer and sometimes never used items end up at the dumpster.
I've lived for 3 months to 2 years in a half dozen places around the country. Often I was asked to relocate on short notice. The Co. picked up the tab for broken leases and moving expense and that included me buying new furniture that I couldn't get loaded and then unloaded easily after I moved.
Dumpster diving is profitable if you stay away from items that can't be boxed and shipped easily and sold on Ebay quickly. I'd stay clear of all bulky furniture.

Lee - try the apartment buildings closest to campus, more sophomores and juniors there, mom and dad just set them up on their own with decent stuff. Further out is usually seniors and grad students, they tend to keep their stuff for that first crappy apartment after school.

Yeah, FSU students leave tons of stuff out when the quarter is over. Hmmm, something to think about :)

I often look in dumpsters when throwing trash but more often than not the good stuff is placed outside of the dumpsters.That is where I got my thermo cool ice chest and a Lazyboy sectional recliner sofa for my daughters apt. Of course commonsense to spray it well all over before bringing it into your home.

I just realized there are three other dumpsters in my complex. My poor dog is going to be very tired after his morning and evening walks :)

Areas near military bases are good picking too. If you don't have room to store bigger items, renting a storage unit could be cost effective if you stay in a town for a month at a time.

Walked the dog yesterday and there was a decent but scruffy adult 10 speed bike leaning against the dumpster. Needs a little cleaning but it's free. :)

Rugster said:
Walked the dog yesterday and there was a decent but scruffy adult 10 speed bike leaning against the dumpster. Needs a little cleaning but it's free. :)

I made $50 on one of those a couple of weeks ago, sold it the same day I put it up for sale.  Not bad for maybe half an hour worth of cleaning & tweaking.

Yup, I have never lived in an apartment and it amazes me what people simply throw away. Actually, what people lean on the wall next to the dumpster. I have seen at least 5 bikes tossed in the four months I have lived here, along with tons of cabinets, appliances and other things that could sell quickly on craigslist. I wish I had started collecting sooner :)

Jackpot :)

Came home today and saw a wicker end table on its side by the dumpster. Took the dog for a walk and saw it was a desk, missing all four drawers. But, they were in the dumpster......but that desk is pretty nice so I grabbed them. One of the drawers had something in it....an inverter! I laughed out loud at finding an inverter :)

Try the tailgate flea markets. There is usually a section for the yard sale people. And stay there until after noon. Be prepared to stay all day (until 4 or 5PM). Bring your own food and water. Actually, during the hot times, we have bought bottles of water and sold them, iced down, nice and cold. David & I junked for a few years in NC.

I grabbed a vintage mechanical keyboard out of the local landfill's electronics bin and sold it for $40 on ebay WITH a cut cord. I think I could've gotten more for it to, as it sold in a day and they noted the good price in their feedback. There are people who make a living doing this stuff. Apparently the big bucks are in affluent college towns at the end of the semester. Game systems, computers... all fully functional...