Our second trip with Sophia's Hauler...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galladanb

Reaction score
As the title implies, we have now completed our second journey...
Well, except we have not unloaded yet, lol!

The trip began with a week of activity getting ready, buying stuff, and just that pre trip panic that can be overwhelming. Your mileage may vary, I'm sure.

The pourpose of the trip was that our son has bought a house and needed to move from his aptment in one city to another. He rented a huge truck, and quickly found out it was not big enough. He also hired two mover guys for a few hours, and they made a huge dent.  Big help, but we needed them for much longer than they could stay.

We also were planning on attending a class about astrophotography that evening.
Then stay overnight a free campsite listed in freecampsites.net. Looking ahead, anticipating no cell service, I screen shot four other location, so we could Gps them.

Of course, the class ran long, and we were already tired and exhausted from a full day of moving, so we bypassed the four unknown free sites, for a "NEARBY" koa site instead.
It should it to be only 5.4 miles away, and we are quite familiar with the whole koa thing.
And it was near 10pm. So we didn't want to spend the time finding an unknown place.

Well, it sounded good. But, no. Turns out it was a huge Gps failure. Took us over three hours to find the dang place, which was not a real koa, but merely a koa wanna b... No office, no late night checkin, no tent camping, basically just a boat dock with a closed marina.

So back to trusting the GPS, we found two other camping rv parking places.
Neither had a late check in.

Ok, now it's 12:30, and we just plug in my sons address and head there. Found a Walmart nearby his place and decided to try the stealth van parking idea. At 2:20 am our neighbor's decide to have a verbal, really loud, every other word was mf this, mf that...
Quite scary actually, I wondered if we would be found dead from stray gunshots. It was freaky scary, and I'm a huge 6-3 inch veteran. Definitely got my blood pressure up about 13 knots.

After a few hours they wore them selves out, and settled down. Then the Walmart started all of their leaf blowers, then the parking lot sweepers came around....

OMG!!!!

So we were about to leave, then we discovered the front cargo door has a child lock out on it and we were stuck in there. With the Engle between the seats, Sandy had to find a way to get into the front seat to go out that way. Of course, the fridge could not be pulled back because of all the crap we took, see above...

Stay tuned for more...

So, after returning to my sons to help him continue his move, we spent the entire day loading the van with the rest of his stuff...

Let me just say that van was loaded! I don't think I have seen a time where the bumper was below my knees, but it was that time.

I mean the van was sagging, and I began to consider braking while in the usual city stop and go traffic.

Turned out, it was no where as bad as I imagined it to be.
The van did not really even notice the weight, and did just fine. Acceleration, braking, whatever seemed all normal... Yay!

Even though it took all day to load, it took less then an hour to unload.... Sweet!

So after a short drive home, we crashed in total exhaustion!

What a weekend!