opinions on '90 Dodge camper van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3caninekids

Reaction score
I found this 1990 Dodge b350 camper van & am seriously considering it. (the ad says it's a 91, but the vin report says it's a 90.) It's about an hour away from me & I'm going to look at today hopefully. I will have it checked out by a mechanic. I believe it's from California, so rust may not be a big issue?? Can anyone help me out with any knowledge or opinions?
thanks! Kristin
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/rvd/4754844861.html

Without looking at edmunds for an estimated value, I think it's priced high. Since it's through a dealer the price should be negotiable.

It looks nice and like it has been well kept.

ETA: the ad says it is white but the pictures don't look like a white van. RED FLAG!

Yeah, I noticed the color difference too. I should add a few things:
1. I don't have a strong desire to convert a regular van into a camper-type van
2. From my experience renovating homes, renovations usually cost more & take more time than you think there gonna take
3. I do like creature comforts & don't know that in the long term, I'll be happy with "roughing it"
4. I *think* that if I ever wanted to sell it, a class B type van may be easier to sell.

Since it's a dealership, I'd check their reputation with the Better Business Bureau.

If they have too many complaints, I'd avoid em like the plague, no matter how desirable the vehicle seems on the surface.

Also, familiarize yourself with whatever consumer protection laws, used car lemon laws, etc. your state may have. Usually, the state's attorney general enforces those things and the info is available on his official web site.

Good luck.

Regards
John

I have a '89 and love it.

That is a full Class-B, not a camper-van and would be a good van for that price. The 5.9l motor is strong and has a proven track record. Parts are cheap for these guys and much of the work you can do yourself with a standard socket set. Even a replacement motor some time down the road is easy enough to come buy. My 5.9l has 140,000 miles and still purring along just fine. Expect 12mpg +\-

Have it checked out by a mechanic. I'd be seriously looking at it myself if I were in Iowa.

looks like a well made unit. Tile in the galley, and it looks like real wood cupboards.

If the mechanic sais it checks out, I'd grab it up. Good resale too.

the white color thing could just be a typo too. many folks don't proof-read their adds.

I have an 89 Merry Miler based on the Dodge 350. It's a good solid driver. Won't win any drag races and gets about 10-12 MPG. I think that one is about 1000 over priced , but you can negotiate. As Van Tramp said, the engine is strong and solid and there are many used parts if you need repair. Good Luck....

Bob J.

looks really clean. but coming from a used car dealer be very careful. I know one thing that wood steering wheel would have to go. have you ever driven a vehicle with a wood steering wheel? no fun. highdesertranger

Is that one giant door in the back like a hearse? Weird :D Someone here was selling one of these for 20k at walmart parking lot. I stopped to look and another guy took one look at the price tag and we both shared a laugh.

My 92 Dodge B250 based Jayco gets about 16 mpg. I paid $1600 for it, with about 140,000 miles. Happy camper.