On your knees please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Van Halen

Reaction score
If you are in a standard cargo van then you know you’re going to spend significant time on your knees. I currently just have a vinyl floor with a 3 x 5 area rug. The rug doesn’t provide much cushion. So I’ve ordered a yoga mat. I will let you all know how it works after it arrives. It’s 3 feet wide and 7 feet long so I will probably end up having to trim some length off of it

I have the same problem.

Putting on and off knee pads is too much trouble. My Savana van has the original thick vinyl sheeting over the corrugated flooring, and I put a fairly thick polypropylene area carpet (easy cleaning) over that. A yoga pad sounds good. Since I don't have a rotating passenger seat, I use a folding chair inside the back area and mostly just sit in it, to limit time on the knees.
- https://www.ancira.com/inventoryphotos/4515/1gtw7aff7h1912556/ip/22.jpg

Some people go to the work of adding a false floor of plywood, etc, and with wood slats in the floor corrugations, but that limits head space even more.

I have used the knee pads that connect behind the knees. They are great for cutting off circulation if you put your bu** on your heels while kneeling. And yes, I tried them looser but then they wouldn't stay in place. Not recommended.

Matty Van Halen said:
If you are in a standard cargo van then you know you’re going to spend significant time on your knees.

Not necessarily. I can reach just about everything in my standard cargo van while sitting on the bed or standing outside. I can also stand in the van bent at the waist with no problems. The only time I need to get on my knees is for rarely used items way under the bed.

QinReno said:
I have the same problem.

Putting on and off knee pads is too much trouble. My Savana van has the original thick vinyl sheeting over the corrugated flooring, and I put a fairly thick polypropylene area carpet (easy cleaning) over that. A yoga pad sounds good. Since I don't have a rotating passenger seat, I use a folding chair inside the back area and mostly just sit in it, to limit time on the knees.
- https://www.ancira.com/inventoryphotos/4515/1gtw7aff7h1912556/ip/22.jpg

Some people go to the work of adding a false floor of plywood, etc, and with wood slats in the floor corrugations, but that limits head space even more.

we have identical vans.  the cargo rings in the floor come in very handy

lol at HDR. A yoga mat might be good. I have also thought about using the workout mats that interlock for a bit more thickness and being firm.

Matty Van Halen said:
 . . . So I’ve ordered a yoga mat . . .

The yoga mats that I have seen are kinda thin.  You'd be better off with an anti-fatigue mat.  Thicker and provide more cushion.

My yoga mat is thin. No padding there, really. That's why I mentioned gardening kneeling mats. You can buy four for ten dollars and use more than one at a time if you need to, to get enough padding.

I have used the Harbor Freight mats they work but you all have seen my coments so maybe they could be the cause!

I use some left over pieces of camping pad when I need to put my knees on the floor. One is right at the side door to kneel on when I don't want to climb in and bend over to get something I can't reach from the outside. Can double if needed but one makes all the difference.

travelaround.....it is lightweight foam type pad that can be put under a sleeping bag. Does not absorb water. Kind I used is green and I bought at Walmart. 7/16" thick I believe.

The term just came to me. Ensolite sleeping pad. Like Q said....closed cell foam. Same stuff probably in the gardener's kneeling pad.