On disability and curious.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twisted Z

Reaction score
Been on disability for a decade now and my son's are soon out of school, flying free. This leaves me with the options of getting lucky with a studio apartment, being homeless or getting lucky enough to get a van. Currently my bills leave me a hundred a month for saving and medicine so saving is hard. I guess my long winded intro/question would boil down to: is it possible to do this (nomad life) for less than 1k a month?
  Anywho, finding Bobs channel on YouTube made a big difference in my outlook, a thousand thank yous to him.?

Welcome TwistedZ to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Highdesertranger

The amount you spend now for everything besides housing and utilities won't change much, if anything it may go up a little for communications like your phone or internet. The amount you spend on housing needs to be applied to you living quarters on the road and an emergency fund to cover unexpected money needs as living in a vehicle and having to move doesn't leave you many options other than to fix it. You will need to save up at least your emergency fund before hitting the road and have your new nomadic home paid for and ready to hit the road. Many do this by living simply, saving and selling off any of the things they may have collected over the years they will no longer have a use for. How much are you spending for housing now? Do you own a dependable vehicle that is paid for? Do you have over $5,000 in savings for an emergency fund? Your disability probably prevents you from working to increase your savings so your only option is to save. A transmission or engine going bad in a van can easily cost several thousand dollars and even a tire will be over $100 which puts a real dent in a $1,000 a month budget, so there are lots of things to consider. Being homeless and using an organization like Homes On Wheels Alliance is a lot different than getting by getting ready to go on the road while you still have permanent housing. Only you can know what you are able and capable of doing.

My apologies if I came across as looking for a hand out. I honestly have nothing at this moment, merely attempting to get a idea if this is a option or not with my current monthly income. All my savings between now and next summer is for both my son's graduation. After that I can sock away money for what comes next. It is limited however there are many with much less. In short with a mid size vehicle and emergency fund in place, is the life possible for under a grand a month?
Thank you in advance for all replies!

No one can tell you what is possible. You can break the barriers of possibility with the will and the way. That said, there is a "reasonable" standard to consider, and I, personally, would not dream of starting a nomadic life with no savings and $1k a month to count on. I would first save $20,000 = $10,000 for the rig, $5,000 for a minimalist build out with a small fridge and solar setup, and $5,000 for and emergency fund. I would also not tempt fate if I was worried the rig might need work soon or I might have a medical issue coming up soon. If I was worried about something like that, I'd save up even more to deal with them before setting out.

But that's just me. Supposedly, there are some who just walk out the door with nothing in their pockets and somehow make it work. A long time ago, my older cousin left for NYC from the sticks of Western Massachusetts with $15 dollars in his pocket at the age of 19. He made it work! He found a job, then became a computer programmer, and had a wonderful life in NYC. But I would never try something so uncertain. My stomach and heart can't take that kind of precariousness.

It's possible but you may find it's not all what it's cracked up to be. Sure, you save on rent but it can be expensive to maintain and fuel a vehicle if you want to travel a fair amount. If you are able to do some work on it yourself you can save a lot. Otherwise it's $$ to mechanics.

Have you thought about your healthcare needs? Can you deal with those when mobile?

If you're on disability are you scheduled for periodic evaluations?

Now that you have seen the worst case scenario there are many people on the road with far less. I get $1000 a month social security and have all of three grand in the bank. There is a group on Facebook called Cheap van life. They have a more realistic approach to poverty and van life.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.
20K up front isn't going to happen, not inside of 15 years. My living expenses vs income is just too lop sided for that to be realistic.
I stopped using Facebook as it was becoming far too toxic for my health so I'll keep looking around and see what I can make happen with less. Appreciate it just the same.
Physically I can do the driving and all the camping stuff. Changing tires is doable but I'll pay for it afterwards heh. I was/am concerned about the financial side as I'm used to solitary life.
Many thanks again, do pardon the rambling.

It comes down to what do you want. Not one other issue comes into play in truth if you are truthful in what do you desire as you move forward!

Do you want van life and travel and out on your own or does a cheaper apt. stationary and living life in one spot mean more etc?

I know you said I have 1K per month but in the bitter end your money can't not truly fill your whatever desire.

You want van life, travel and new adventures etc out there then you go for it and SEE what goes down and yes many can do it on 1K per month but their needs might never be yours.........so........what do you require?

I get it, we look and check and wonder but it boils down to what do you want.....you want it bad enough of any issue in life you make it work, you find a big discrepancy in your physical body and med prescrips and what you truly need vs a 'dream wish' then you have to find the reality of your life has to be taken highly.

best of luck and find your way the best you can for what you require! we are all so different and take time to just think it all over!!

Ozybstd said:
Now that you have seen the worst case scenario there are many people on the road with far less. I get $1000 a month social security and have all of three grand in the bank. There is a group on Facebook called Cheap van life. They have a more realistic approach to poverty and van life.

No worst case scenario was mentioned, just some cautions about some pitfalls. Taking off in an old vehicle and not having enough $ to pay for a major repair can cause someone to lose their van and end up homeless. Now that would be a worst case scenario. Not to be snide but in the past year we all received $3200 from the government. So if you hadn't had that boost, how much would you have in the bank?

BTW: I do it on a little over $1K/mo.

Twisted ZMy said:
In short with a mid size vehicle and emergency fund in place, is the life possible for under a grand a month?

Yes.

Other ideas to research and skills to cultivate while you're waiting for your moment are budgeting, frugal living, minimalism, cheap and healthy cooking, etc.

I make a lot of the above things into games. Me against consumerism, basically. I like to win and so far, so good!

You could start now by assessing what you pay for phone service/internet access/entertainment. My guess is that you could do better (I'm doing great, but could do a little better still if I was motivated).

Best of luck to you!

The biggest issue, as others have said, is not getting into a vehicle but the maintenance and upkeep that are inevitable.

I don’t see any sense in sugar coating these things, so I don’t.

My concern for anyone on a very limited income is a major repair you can’t afford that then leaves you immediately homeless.

You not only need a hefty savings account at the ready, but a means to replenish it.

This last winter I had to replace a radiator and then turbo resonator while on the road and in the same week, and neither involved a tow, which could well have happened.

This is just the reality of it.

If you are really itching to get out there, consider some day trips and weekends to fulfill that wanderlust.

Good luck to you.

All I desire is to be free as possible in our current times and not become a burden to my son's. I want to see what few parts of the country I've yet to see and maybe, just maybe find a bit of happiness and peace before the end. A lot to ask of the universe I know but as I'm still kicking there is hope.
Yeah that $ from the gov was nice but that was burned up paying off the bills accumulated while mum was unemployed. Mine is just one mild story among millions and I seek no sympathy, merely explaining where I'm starting from. From what I'm reading it's going to be a climb but compared to the alternative, I'm game.
Thank you everyone, all information is gold!

yea you want it bad enough ya go for it :)

get your vehicle working best you can and hit the road.....you DO HAVE family as back up if ever needed and I am sure one of your sons would help you if you were totally desperate, I mean family does for family, well that is my family anyway LOL and as much as I would never want help or be a burden, geez ya know most sons and daughters if they can will help their parents for an issue like a breakdown and if inclined, graciously take the help and 'silently start' saving up some bucks to pay them back later......I mean we all find ways to make it work......you want it, go for it!!!
Peace and life and adventures is out on the road for sure, go find yourself some of that! You don't need to hope, just go do it! Adapt and change as needed if an issue goes down but if it does, deal wtih it then, no use wondering about what ifs in the bitter end of it all, go have some darn fun out on the road while you can!

All in all if you have no alternatives life in a van is better than "homeless on the streets" but unless you can manage your $1,000 a month to insure you can afford the price of fuel and maintenance it will be short lived. Excapees.com may be able to offer a safety net of sorts. A membership is less than $100 a year. They have a "Care Center" that uses volunteers in exchange for a free site and some meals as well as a program if you qualify and they have room for those that have disabilities that provides a form of assisted living that was $800 a month you might want to take a look at before buying a van as it would be easier with an RV I believe. They are good people, At least when I worked there 16 years ago.

Subsidized housing may be an option for your permanent residence, then the possibility of renting a vehicle for a week or weekend on occasion could be an avenue to explore.

Often weekend rentals are dirt cheap.

Wow and thanks for the input! I live rather frugal life due to finances and a strong step mom who taught me a great many skills. Space isn't an issue, mine at the moment is 11X12 containing my stuff as well as my cats belongings. Though as all pet owners/parents they see us as being their roommate lol.
I intend to save every dime possible for said emergency fund as my dad was a long haul trucker for decades and also taught me skills of the road. Once in motion all is little stuff, each complication meet and solved. I know it isn't that Instagram/YouTube glamour nor do I seek such, merely a more secure continuation of my youthful travels. My greatest concern was the month to month. My expenses after rent and utilities remains under 100 per month so if I can knock the rest into a hat then fuel is no worries. I don't eat much, don't do fast food, don't drink booze... I'm good to go ..least ways mentally. Thanks again, I appreciate all input as decisions require information in order to come to fruition.

you go for it and when ya do, you let us know how you are doing :)