Old hips, Bad leg and Falling apart

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy browsing those sites, I always wanted a 'real' Hummer but they sure aren't cheap. It would be a fun toy if I were rich, but alas, I'm not.

I think LowTech bought his truck and trailer thru one of them.

Rob

Probably so, you are right, the hummers are high dollar, price of extreme capabilities + gov't contracting

Gunny,

They are getting more and more doodads to help the mobility impaired. One thing I recently read about is a switch can be installed in your camper to dump the black and grey tanks. Of course they would have to be hooked up in the first place. It would be great if you spent more than a couple nights in a campground.
Another thing I don't understand why you don't have is a liftchair. I'm sure the VA would provide u with one and then you won't have to sit and dread the getting up part just to hit the can or something. There is also no reason u can't install the chair in your camper.

I've had many campers and this time, due to new mobility issues, bought a small used Class C. My reasoning is that I won't have to be getting out of the truck and going back to the camper. I also won't have to do the work of hitching, setting up, etc. I can stop wherever and I'm done.

I have an automatic step that comes out when I open the door but it's still a bear for me. I put a plastic first step out there to help me with the biggest step but I think I can get an automatic two step that might be easier for me.

You can also have a lift installed that you can sit on and that will lift you up and turn then set u right into the camper. It looks like a little chair. I don't know if the VA would finance such a thing but they might if that was your only home.

Good luck and get that procedure done. If you want me to find that sewer switch thing on line I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Cammalu, I am sure there are many things I can get from the VA to ease things. They have offered me walkers and a weekly service to tidy up my apt. I turned both down, I can walk okay for about 50 yards or so and getting up from a sitting position is no big issue, it's when I am down on the ground that presents issues. They have a chair that ejects you into the standing position but better to give that to someone who needs it more than I. Same with a walker. My apt is tiny and one would just be in the way. And I most definitely do not want someone from the VA visiting me on a regular basis. I do nothing illegal but I do leave various weapons out as I clean them or check them over.

I'll know if and when the procedure will be done in March, I won't leave without a definitive answer.

I'm sure you know what I mean when I say I have bad days and good days. I have mostly good days if I stay busy, but this cold wet weather is taking a toll.

Sitting my trailer up will be the hardest, but I have a winch on my atv and that can handle the generator, both into and out of the bed of the pickup.

Time will tell if it can be done, but I am stubborn and will give it a shot. Thanks again for the advice..

Rob

Ballenxj said:
I wonder if it's still the fastest production tank? That would be nice for trips to Walmart.  :p

An M113 would make more sense as a live aboard overlanding vehicle . . .

Optimistic Paranoid said:
An M113 would make more sense as a live aboard overlanding vehicle . . .

Towing a converted cargo trailer? Now we're talking!

TrainChaser said:
A tank for shopping at WalMart.... Great idea!  Can't find a parking spot?  Make one!
I was thinking along the lines of those folks that cannot seem to park between the two white lines. I would then park my Tank right in the middle. OOPS, your fender "was" in my parking spot. Oh well, (crunch) problem solved. And BTW, Pick a part is that way. :p

Insurance might be a problem.  

Try USAA   ;)

Gunny I'm glad to see you considering alternatives in order to adventure, you have too many good things going on to let the bad ones over come you.

I think things will be okay. I may be a lot slower getting some things done but that's just part of growing old. Thanks Bullfrog.

If slowing down is a reason to quit vandwelling, there are going to be a LOT more parking spots available.

Actually, slowing down gives you the chance to look around and make logical decisions. It isn't like a kid who finds his mother's hidden Mercedes keys and goes for a 150 mph joyride with his friends in the rain -- no thinking involved.

You've MATURED, that's all.

I was just the teensiest upset because of the thought of having to have help on so many small things. I can do a workaround on most of the stuff and if it gets to hurting too bad just take a break.

If the health deteriorates or things aren't working out I still have a plan to give the trailer to someone. Time will tell. Thanks for the kind words.

Rob

Life might be a highway, but once you're grown some, it's a state highway, not an autobahn

ArtW said:
Life might be a highway, but once you're grown some, it's a state highway, not an autobahn

THANKS ~~~ Now that is stuck in my brain!  

[font=Roboto, arial,]Life's like a road that you travel on
When there's one day here and the next day gone
Sometimes you bend and sometimes you stand
Sometimes you turn your back to the wind
There's a world outside every darkened door
Where blues won't haunt you anymore
Where brave are free and lovers soar
Come ride with me to the distant shore
We won't hesitate
To break down the garden gate
There's not much time left today[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,][font=Roboto, arial,]Through all these cities and all these towns[/font]
[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]It's in my blood and it's all around[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]I love you now like I loved you then[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]This is the road and these are the hands[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]From Mozambique to those Memphis nights[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]The Khyber Pass to Vancouver's lights[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]Knock me down and back up again[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]You're in my blood I'm not a lonely man[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]There's no load I can't hold[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]A road so rough this I know[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,]I'll be there when the light comes in[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial,][font=Roboto, arial,]Tell 'em we're survivors[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,][font=Roboto, arial,][font=Roboto, arial,]There was a distance between you and I
A misunderstanding once
But now we look in the eye[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial,]There ain't no load that I can't hold
A road so rough this I know
I'll be there when the light comes in
Tell 'em we're survivors[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial,][font=Roboto, arial,][font=Roboto, arial,]Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long[/font][/font]
[/font]

I think I am down to a Farm Road but I get the gist.

Today I discovered a new way to stay awake all day even after a pain pill. I decided (when there is actual thinking involved is when I get into trouble) that the prescription strength Icy Hot would help on the pelvis/ hip area. The first 10 minutes or so there wasn't much but as the cream hit the sensitive areas we guys have I was indeed wide awake. Should have thought that thru more..

Rob

I know I shouldn't be laughing at your pain but that was a good one !

Stuff sticks like Napalm, took a shower and seemed to spread it.

Rob