Old Folks ever shrinking world.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
Visiting the sister(81)and the BIL(89)for a couple of days and seeing again how old timers interests revolve around their ailments,doctors,meds.Little interest in anything not directly impacting their daily life.I would say that I hope I never get that way,but I probably will.

Yes, I have an aunt and uncle who seem to spend several days a week in doctors' offices. Like you, I hope that won't be me.

You are blessed to have your health and I hope it continues for you. Happy new year

I think I'd prefer to die out in the mountains somewhere rather than spend my remaining years in the medical system.  Of course, I may change my mind!

;)

mockturtle said:
I think I'd prefer to die out in the mountains somewhere rather than spend my remaining years in the medical system.  Of course, I may change my mind!

;)

Mockturtle,

After I broke my femur in several places I was put in a nursing home to heal for a couple of months because I couldn't take care of myself. I was non weight bearing on the leg and in so much pain that there was really no choice. That stay was so miserable and disgusting and horrendous that to get me to ever go back to something like that they'd have to knock me on the head.

At least I could speak up but those poor people in there really couldn't. They were locked in and dead to the world. Whenever I drive by the place I won't even look over there.

For sure dying free would be the way to go.

I never thought it would never happen to me, ever; but it did. I got old; now 70.

Someone told me a while back that if you don't want to be thought of as an old geezer, don't talk like one. If all you ever talk about are your ailments, pains, prescriptions, and doctor visits you sound like an old geezer.

Learn to talk about something else. People tire very quickly of hearing about your health issues but are too polite to tell you to get off of it.

speedhighway46 said:
Someone told me a while back that if you don't want to be thought of as an old geezer, don't talk like one. If all you ever talk about are your ailments, pains, prescriptions, and doctor visits you sound like an old geezer.

<shrug>  People talk about what's important to them.  What could be more important to someone than their personal wellbeing?

Young people would talk constantly about their pains and ailments, too, if they had any.  Instead, they talk about their sex lives.

Regards
John

In that case,I must be young.By the way,I have to admit I'm bi-sexual.Yep,sex twice a year.

I have had close friends in their 80's. They had been full-time RVers and were living in mobile home and/or RV parks at the time I knew them. They didn't talk about their health but about the adventures they had in their life and were very anxious to know about the adventures of others which they added to their own adventures to discuss with yet someone new they encountered. I spent hours talking with them. One couple passed on to us their altimeter since they would not use it again. It is among my most precious possessions.

mockturtle said:

;)
I agree but the unfortunate part is that unless some arrangements are made in advance, you (we) may not have the mental capacity to find our way into the mountains.

I really try & Not dwell on health matters But this Yr. has been horrid for me-, first was Liver failure, now Left Kidney tumor .Dr says NOT going to operate .& heart Failure as well, last Monday all worked up for a Pacemaker--- "They" decided it just not going to help me. last night all rested up just sitting on the couch. BP was 205/104. but i'm happy & warm, 2 great cats that love me, van out front "saying" go.!!! somewhere warmer. I would, but DR appointment for more testing Friday. it's 23 degrees outside.& will be colder tonight.
DAM the health problems ruining my life.
Sparky1.

I'm 65 and on no medications. I feel and think like I'm in my 40s. The trick is don't look in a mirror too often, and it works.

Matlock said:
I agree but the unfortunate part is that unless some arrangements are made in advance, you (we) may not have the mental capacity to find our way into the mountains.

Since most of my time is spent in either the desert or the mountains, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Look hard at things like how something like barometric measure fluctuating can affect your health. It is very interesting. Having lived in both AL and AZ and now back in KS, boy does it make a difference. Weather also really plays with your mental state of health which in turn affects your physical health. Yet another gloomy, dark and cold day in KS. Seriously, look at this, just google "fluctuating barometric pressure and your health". Both arthritis and blood pressure come seriously into play. Maybe that is why people started out as "nomadic"?

gojo said:
I'm 65 and on no medications. I feel and think like I'm in my 40s. The trick is don't look in a mirror too often, and it works.
Me too...well not 65 any more.
And here I thought the trick was an active lifestyle and healthy food... :rolleyes:
Oh, and staying out of the hands of the western medical profession in whom I have little to no faith!!
Good thing you warned me about the mirror - I had one on my shopping list for in the van...the side and rearview mirrors are useless for looking for that one hair on my chin... :D I'll cross off the mirror!

We just want to be well! We have spent a life time doing things, going places, being strong and able. We are in shock because our lives have changed so much!!!
All of a sudden our lives are completely different, and not better! We are weaker and sicker than we ever thought possible! We have become more frail. We ache to be like we were before. We wake up in the morning praying that the cancer is gone, the arthritis is healed, that we can breathe again. All we want is to be healthy and strong again.
I made it to Ehrenberg, stayed for a month. The cold, the low-top van, was just too much for me. I couldn't walk. The pain was unbelievable. My back, my hips, my knees... I just finally gave up and came home. Oh how I wish... Well, never mind. You all know what I wish.

We have helped people all our lives - now we are the ones who need help.

It's too late for most of us, but you young people pay attention to this thread and

LIVE YOUR LIFE WHILE YOU'RE YOUNG--Don't put it off!

I took early retirement at 52 and lost 1/3 of my pension per month. I've never for one second regretted it!!

My only regret is staying at that horrible job for as long as I did. Had I known all the things I know now, I would never have started.
Bob

I am so grateful to have my health because I realize without it my options become limited.

I've recently turned 30 and my body hasn't given me any trouble yet, but having cared for my grandparents in their final years, both of which died from cancer only months apart, makes me feel humbled to have my health. It also helped me face the fragility and fleeting nature of life. I couldn't imagine sending them off to a nursing home, glad they never had to deal with that.

I always suspect that 'old people' talk about their health problems and doctor appointments in the hope someone will Care.
So many younger people treat the old like they are invisible and useless and a burden.  At least, when they go to the doctor- the doctor Cares..(ish)
I, for one, truly enjoyed the time I spent volunteering at local nursing homes- with my fun and loving therapy dog Mina.
She brought such joy to them, and we all had fun together.
MinaTherapy.jpg
Halloween 2009
(miss you, swiffer)

Attachments

• MinaTherapy.jpg
    MinaTherapy.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts