Old Folks ever shrinking world.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though, the elderly they were showcasing aren't really so much like the ones that many of us encounter. I have encountered a few here in the US with that attitude and they do equally well but some, and I don't think it is because they grew older but were always the way they are now, just don't have the personality and tend to be so pessimistic and angry about being older that they simply repel people. Attitude counts. Being able to care about others definitely helps others care about you. I know some people old at 40 and others still young at 80.

Whatever your personal situation at the end of your life,it ain't going to be pretty.I just hope to maintain an interest in things other than my own problems.

Bob Dickerson said:
Visiting the sister(81)and the BIL(89)for a couple of days and seeing again how old timers interests revolve around their ailments,doctors,meds.Little interest in anything not directly impacting their daily life.I would say that I hope I never get that way,but I probably will.

Eh, it's probably a choice.

When I was a teenager, my family lived next to an elderly woman in her early 70s. She was aged beyond her years because she had broken her hip in her 50s, and her doctor botched her surgery. She walked hunched over and in pain, but I never ever heard her complain. She rode a tricycle bike to get around (she didn't have a car), swam laps every day, attended college classes and corrected papers for correspondence courses (she was a writer). Even though she was 50+ years older than me, she would engage in teen talk ... listening to me gush about the guys I had crushes on, chatting about popular music and books. I honestly don't ever remember her talking about medications, ailments or doctors. As a teen, that would have been an instant turn off.

In contrast to my grandparents who complained about everything. And they wouldn't take advantage of their freedom in retirement to travel or do anything because they "didn't want to leave the house." They wanted to be there to protect it. I thought it was quite sad.

Even my mom is starting to sound "old" and she's only in her early 60s. Always complaining about her aches and pains, and saying she is "too old" to do anything that requires more effort than watching tv, other than for work.

If you don't want to be like your sister and BIL, then don't let yourself slip into the "old" mindset  :)

I use a cane to stablize myself (bad balance) and carry an oxygen tank to breath now days, not to mention being 40# underweight. My body is a mass of pain and some days I don't get out much.
I have, what I think, is a good attitude about the whole deal.
People as how I'm doing, my reply..."Pretty damn fine".
Frankly, I feel lucky to be able to be out here doing what I like :)
Yeah, I'm feeling my age, but isn't that part normal?

thatchickinpa said:
Eh, it's probably a choice.

When I was a teenager, my family lived next to an elderly woman in her early 70s. She was aged beyond her years because she had broken her hip in her 50s, and her doctor botched her surgery. She walked hunched over and in pain, but I never ever heard her complain. She rode a tricycle bike to get around (she didn't have a car), swam laps every day, attended college classes and corrected papers for correspondence courses (she was a writer). Even though she was 50+ years older than me, she would engage in teen talk ... listening to me gush about the guys I had crushes on, chatting about popular music and books. I honestly don't ever remember her talking about medications, ailments or doctors. As a teen, that would have been an instant turn off.

In contrast to my grandparents who complained about everything. And they wouldn't take advantage of their freedom in retirement to travel or do anything because they "didn't want to leave the house." They wanted to be there to protect it. I thought it was quite sad.

Even my mom is starting to sound "old" and she's only in her early 60s. Always complaining about her aches and pains, and saying she is "too old" to do anything that requires more effort than watching tv, other than for work.

If you don't want to be like your sister and BIL, then don't let yourself slip into the "old" mindset  :)

There's hiding behind your age and complaining about it, and then, there is actually accepting that you are getting old. I used to spend a lot of time out in the desert with my dog. We ran into rattlesnakes several times, which scared the daylights out of me. I have tintinitis and don't hear the things until I almost walk on them. Dog is supposed to warn me, but is more interested in jackrabbits.

I carried DH's Ruger loaded with snakeshot for a while. But it is heavy. I doubt that I would have time to use it. It did give me a false sense of security, but I actually think a taller, thicker pair of boots would be of more actual use. Back home in FL, family is nagging my to spend several hundred dollars for a lighter gun and to time the to take concealed carry classes. What the heck for? I am nearly 70, with a bad back, bad hip, and bad feet. How long am I going to be prowling aroundin the sun, climbing in and out of dry washes and over rocks? I think I should just get the boots and use my time at the spa.

Have to say,I've never understood the carrying of a gun for snakes.If you see a snake,back off or walk around.If you don't see it,having a gun makes no difference.

Bob Dickerson said:
Have to say,I've never understood the carrying of a gun for snakes.If you see a snake,back off or walk around.If you don't see it,having a gun makes no difference.

Yes, that's what I think.

Years ago, when I was a youngster in 1970, a gun may have saved my life in exactly this situation. My brother-in-law and I were out "plinking and shooting" in a remote area in the desert of southern California near the Salton Sea. This area we were in was sand mostly huge, 20' high rounded rocks. The lizards liked to come out on the large rocks to sun themselves and soak up the desert heat. Little did these little rascals know that there were a couple of city slickers armed with .22s ready to send them to lizard heaven. But, that's another story.

I come around this huge rock and walked up right on a rattlesnake! I don't mean five or six feet away; I mean right immediately in front of him. He instantly began rattling (so did my knees). I quickly raised my pistol and "eliminated the threat." Then I walked about ten feet further and paused so I could clean out my Fruit of the Looms.

My feeling to this day is I am sure I would have been bitten if I had waited another 5 seconds.

I still think about this incident from time to time 46 years later . . .

gcal said:
Yes, that's what I think.

Bob, you have never seen the point of even owning a gun for any reason.   :dodgy: That said, I don't kill snakes.

While Bob and I have been known to disagree violently on the subject of gun ownership, I think he's basically right in THIS instance.

If you out hiking and see a snake, leave it alone. It's probably more scared of you than you are of it.  And the rattle is it's attempt to warn you off.

That said, if you have snakes in your camp, and pets or children to protect, they have to go.  A gun can be more effective, and safer for you, than a shovel or an ax.

I saw a recent thread in a 4X4 forum I belong to about a recent group trip through Death Valley.  They were sitting around their campfire when someone noticed  a large rattler curled up under someone's chair.

Needless to say, it was rather exciting for the guy sitting in the chair.

Regards
John

gcal said:
. . . but I actually think a taller, thicker pair of boots would be of more actual use.

Do a Google search on "snake gaiters".  Much lighter, less expensive, and WAY better protection than boots.  It is literally impossible for a snake to bite through them.

Cabelas, Gander Mountain, REI, and yes, Amazon, all sell them.

Regards
John

Speedhiway.You made my day with that story.I'm still laughing.Mockturtle,I think you mis read me.I've owned guns all my life,at one tme I had over 25.That was back when I lived in Mt.and did a lot of hunting,reloading and target shooting.I don't hunt anymore so I'm down to 3 now.Still have most of my reloading paraphernalia though.The daughter will probably throw it in the trash when I croak.I just think there should be some limits on how fast one person can kill several others.But,we've had this discussion before and nobody is going to change their mind so I guess we'll just agree to disagree and try to not be disagreeable in our opinions.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Do a Google search on "snake gaiters".  Much lighter, less expensive, and WAY better protection than boots.  It is literally impossible for a snake to bite through them.

Cabelas, Gander Mountain, REI, and yes, Amazon, all sell them.

Regards
John

Found them. Don't know why I did not think of those. Not very outdoor-chic, but at my age, who am I trying to impress?

What happens if the snake bites you below the gaiter, on your shoe?   :s

This is kind of a timely thing for me as I was reading an article about venomous snakes only yesterday.According th the research that I read,picking any snake up results in a bite less than 40% of the time.(this would explain how the preachers in W.Virginia are still alive)About 50% of bites on humans are dry.The snake doesn't try to inject venom,the bite is strictly a defensive mechanism.Records are sketchy,but according to what I read,there are between 20'000-30'000 snakebites yearly in the US.Between 5 and 15 people die.Rattlesnake bites account for almost all deaths,with the Eastern Diamondback the most deadly.We have a snake here that I'd never heard of before.It's a pygmy rattlesnake.Very beautiful with gray designs on it's back and a red or orange streak running down the middle of it's back.

Bob Dickerson said:
Speedhiway.You made my day with that story.I'm still laughing.Mockturtle,I think you mis read me.I've owned guns all my life,at one tme I had over 25.That was back when I lived in Mt.and did a lot of hunting,reloading and target shooting.I don't hunt anymore so I'm down to 3 now.Still have most of my reloading paraphernalia though.The daughter will probably throw it in the trash when I croak.I just think there should be some limits on how fast one person can kill several others.But,we've had this discussion before and nobody is going to change their mind so I guess we'll just agree to disagree and try to not be disagreeable in our opinions.

BD, you say you think there should be limits on how fast one person can kill several others. You mentioned a daughter so you have a family, who would protect them? If you were called on to protect them you would want the highest capacity magazines possible. Take it from someone who has been in multiple gunfights, it sometimes takes a lot of bullets to kill multiple attackers. You say nobody is going to change their minds. I think many of the folks in San Bernadino would give anything for someone with high capacity magazines and the grit to use them to have been there. You are right about agreeing and disagreeing.

Off topic, I guess, but I've always thought snakes were cool.  :)

Look at the title to this thread--no more on snakes, it's totally off topic and a hijack of this thread.

Any posts on guns or snakes will be deleted.
Bob

Bob,it's almost impossible to keep this bunch under control.Yeah,herding cats is right.