OK, Now THIS Was Odd ....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HDr - I didn't think I would like it either when my son was telling me about it. Got hooked. I've watched the series more than once.

geogentry said:
Has anyone seen the trailer for the new Star Trek? Star Trek Picard?

George, that was in the link I posted above. :)

Actually, I can't watch Youtube on my laptop, so I partly posted it here in hopes of getting a review. :)
Had also sent it to an ultra-Geek buddy, and it blew his mind, so I dusted off my tablet and watched it... yup, TMB (Total Mind Blowing). ;)
It's relatively long, and you really need to be sitting down and braced for your Brain to Explode. :D

Brian / B & C: +1 :)

gsfish: well said, on all Geek fronts! :)
Jayne Cobb has some of the absolute most fun lines in the whole series. :)
His interactions with River are particularly enjoyable.

Kaylee

I noted 6 of 9 (Jeri Ryan). A cameo or participating roll? Now to figure out how to afford to get the access. Having seen every episode of every Star Trek show, and the movies, I will not want to miss Picard.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I just found this thread, read the first post, and I thought, who the heck did George Takei piss-off to have to be in Brownsville Texas in the middle of July?

Then I read the date...this happened back in January. Oh....ok then....

:cool:

^^^^ Hah! I liked Brownsville--spent four weeks there.

Nice spot to winter in.

geogentry said:
I noted 6 7 of 9 (Jeri Ryan). A cameo or participating roll? Now to figure out how to afford to get the access. Having seen every episode of every Star Trek show, and the movies, I will not want to miss Picard.

George, duck while I fling a Geek Point at you! :)

Yeah, Jeri Ryan was just one of the reasons that the brain of any true fan would explode. :D
Since I'm (yet-again) in Wait Mode, I just checked Wikipedia and it implies that she's a regular, but it's unclear. There's two lists, and she's under "Recurring and returning cast":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Picard

I initially had mixed feelings about Jeri's character in Voyager (obvious sexploitation), but she did such a superb job of acting, that I grew to love her character (in a platonic manner). She was a better Vulcan than many other actors who were supposed to play Vulcans. :) I'm particularly looking forward to her interacting with Brent/Data. :D

I only saw the first ep of CBS' first pay-only Trek, and only because it was broadcast over-the-air to hook folks.
It did hit DVD, but there was a very long wait list at my previous Library system.
Last night, checked my current Library system, and there's multiple copies available (i.e. listed as "on the shelf") thru their extended system. :)
If you're patient, that's one option.
CBS also offers a one week free trial, and it appears they sometimes offer that more than once (i.e. they had an end-of-year special offer).
That had been my plan, until I found out about it on DVD.

P.S. Lenny did you get to see the famous (to birders) Tamaulipas crows, of the Brownsville landfill? :)
Also, I'll bet nobody would object if you asked HDR to add "Star Trek" to the Subject of this thread. :)

lenny flank said:
Nice spot to winter in.

I've been there....you wont like it much in the summer. That city often gets mentioned in weather stats as the highest temps in the USA during the summer...and yes it's got a very mild climate in the winter.

Warning: Off topic! 

I remember about 20 years ago, a small local band from Brownsville was playing in Amarillo, during January. It started snowing that evening and the band members, all fairly young, were having a blast playing like small children in the snow...they used their cameras and camcorders and took video of the snow falling, and making snow-angels in the parking lot. 

These kids (mainly in their late teens and early 20s) had never seen snow.

Most of Texas gets some snow and ice in the winter...contrary to popular 'yankee' opinion, but Far South Texas rarely sees it stick on the ground.

Encountering celebrities outside their usual domain isn't all that odd. But leaving them alone and not bugging them for autographs or photos is odd. In a good way.

A friend of mine had been interviewing all over Los Angeles for an advertising job. One day she was walking down Melrose Avenue when she saw one of the guys she had interviewed with. She walked up to him and, hoping to make a good impression, thanked him for having considered her for the job and hoped he would keep her in mind. Then, in the middle of her pitch, she realized the guy was familiar not because she had interviewed with him, but because he was the actor who played an advertising executive on the show "Thirty-something." She burst out laughing and explained herself. He replied, "I guess I'm pretty convincing in the roll, then."

tx2sturgis said:
I've been there....you wont like it much in the summer. 
I try to avoid anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line during summer.   ;)

Kaylee said:
Firefly, like the original Star Trek, had two Canadians in the cast, as Captain and Chief Engineer.
The networks didn't grok either, and repeatedly tried to kill them, but fans banded together to breathe life back in.
I too dream of Firefly rising again. :)

Makes me want to pop a dvd into the slot and watch this again. It's been more than 10 years....wow...

fireflydvd.jpg

Attachments

• fireflydvd.jpg
    fireflydvd.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 16
Wow, 10 years without Firefly!?! Wow! My brain melts at the concept!

If you do decide to rewatch, and feel so inclined, please do me/us the favor of trying the new user experiment I recommended above:
watch just the opening scenes of "Train Job" then "Out of Gas".
Are those enough to convince a reasonable person to give the whole series a try, without spoiling anything major? :)