OK, Now THIS Was Odd ....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
I just said “Hi” to George Takei in a mall in Brownsville TX. He’s in town to give a speech. I didn’t want to bother him since the poor guy can’t even go to a mall without being mobbed, but I had to tell him that I’ve been a Trek fan since I was 10. :)

^^ I know some Trekkers who would happily give their soul to the devil in exchange for that ten seconds. ;)

Trebor:
TOS debuted in 1966.

Otherwise, yes, that's an excellent reason for not becoming a fan until such an ancient age. ;)
I had this vague notion that Lenny was younger than me.

Edited to Add:
Regardless of the reason, I had assumed it was something outside of his control, and had not meant it as a negative.
Was just wondering if he'd grown up in a Geek deprived situation.
He's so Geeky, it would be all the more impressive to have achieved such despite a (possibly) deprived childhood. ;)

That sounds like potential fun, if only to say you were being there.

He has a book or two out, and his facebook is always very active. He's a social media phenomenon of the first order. Without his constant social media presence, it's hardly likely anything but hard core fans would know about him at anything near this level. But he probably has a way bigger following than anyone from Star Trek even though he was a minor character 50 years ago.

Suggest you try The Orville then. Great fun and very much in the spirit of the original, but with some great funny bits.

Dingfelder said:
he was a minor character 50 years ago.

In the words of Montgomery Scott:
would you care to... rephrase that, laddie?
;)
Sulu was a much beloved secondary character.

Pardon my pedantry. :)

You more than redeemed your Geek standing with your recommendation of "The Orville".
It's a very odd duck, and at first gives the impression of being borderline offensive "bro" culture, then it will quite suddenly do a huge shift towards the kind of thoughtful intelligent and caring drama that's at the core of Trek.

P.S. This week (Thursday), William Shatner guest stars on The Big Bang Theory. :)

TNG my favorite--glad to see it returning. :)

PS--I also like "Firefly". I wish it would return as well.

lenny flank said:
PS--I also like "Firefly". I wish it would return as well.

In the words of Sir Warwick Harrow in episode "Shindig": "that has endeared you to me somewhat". ;)

Firefly, like the original Star Trek, had two Canadians in the cast, as Captain and Chief Engineer.
The networks didn't grok either, and repeatedly tried to kill them, but fans banded together to breathe life back in.
I too dream of Firefly rising again. :)

One of my favorite sequences in Firefly was the opening scene of episode "Out of Gas", where Mal explains to an old mil buddy that he's bought a cargo ship, and his plan:
Mal: Tell you, Zoe, we get a mechanic, get her up and runnin' again, hire a good pilot, maybe a cook. Live like real people. Small crew, them as feel the need to be free, take jobs as they come. Ain't never have to be under the heel of nobody ever again. No matter how long the arm of the Alliance might get, we'll just get ourselves a little further.
Zoe: Get her running again?
Mal: Yeah.
Zoe: So not running now?
Mal: Not so much.
The real VanLife, in a nutshell. :D

It's only 14 episodes and (so far) one movie, so it's not a huge time commitment. It's available on most of the major streaming services.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about TOS, TNG, Firefly? no need to reply I really don't want to know. I do enjoy the original Star Trek, mainly because it's so corny and the acting is so bad. kinda like the old "B" SciFi movies they are so bad they are funny. LOL highdesertranger

:cring:

"TOS" == The Original Series (fans started referring to it that way after spinoffs galore)
"TNG" == The Next Generation (the 1987 spinoff/sequel, and probably most popular of all of Trekdom)

HDR, you might like "Firefly".
It's been described as a crossover Western and scifi series.
It has horses. :)
And both humor and darkness.
If you have any of the major streaming services, sample just the opening scene of the episodes "The Train Job" and "Out of Gas". If you don't like both, you won't like the rest. If you're instantly drawn in, start with the pilot episode ("Serenity"), and enjoy. :)

Firefly was a very good scifi series a few years ago that sadly got cancelled way too soon.

Star Trek:

TOS = The Original Series

TNG = The Next Generation

DS9 = Deep Space Nine

:)

LOL I said you didn't need to explain it. a SciFi western, OK. I'll pass. I remember one, I am thinking "Wild, Wild West"? I hated that show. highdesertranger

Has anyone seen the trailer for the new Star Trek? Star Trek Picard?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
LOL I said you didn't need to explain it. a SciFi western, OK. I'll pass. I remember one, I am thinking "Wild, Wild West"? I hated that show. highdesertranger
Wild Wild West was pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Latest posts