OK, I give up. Come and get me IRS!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
(I searched this entire site, no one has had anything similar, lucky me  :p )

I kid you not, this is why the US Govt is so crazy.

Oh, about 15 weeks ago, I got a letter from the IRS which told me that "You filed with a 1040EZ which you failed to include the healthcare mandate paper (It's the 1095A) and also, you cannot use the 1040EZ for that. Otherwise, you can't get reimbursed/Refund for 2018"

OK, so I filed a 1040X and filled it out to a certain point as I was getting confused regarding deductions (Had to scrap the first one and just fill out the redo with name, addy and SSN). Then gave them the info and let them take it on. I then sent it to the IRS and asked they complete it (I have read instructions where they will do that) and so mailed it off. 

6 weeks later I get a check for my 2016 refund.....It was for $3,992.38   :huh:

I voided the check and included a note stating I had already gotten my refund of $55.16. Dropped it off into the mail.

4 weeks ago, I got a letter from the IRS "We have received your information, you need to do nothing"

Today I got a check for $4,035.72

I put it in the bank with my temp disability check.... Let them come for me.....Idiots.

NOTE: From what I can gather, I suspect they think I paid for my healthcare for 2016 which was state paid, but the sheet I sent was from my employer, so I suspect they think I paid the other amounts..... I'm not worried about any criminal or interest charges. I'm just a bit tired of this BS and I'll be starting a new job in awhile, so I'll just let it sit. I'll move it to a different bank so as to not spend it. I also suspect they'll never come after it.....I mean they have twice sent it and they're the ones who did the paperwork!. So that's my fun time for today.

Anyone else have such fun times with the Idiots Refusing Sanity?

Sort of feels good when they make the mistake to your good then when you tell them they make more mistakes to your good, doesn't make up for all the mistakes they make to the bad, but it sure makes you smile when they tell you they and their computors don't make mistakes!

gsfish said:
Be sure to save all your paperwork. My mother and I have been using a free service through The United Way with good results. I was cautious at first but a friend with almost 30 years working for the IRS gave them a thumbs up. If you have a similar program in your area they might be able to advise you.

One thing that I have in common with billionaires is that I haven't paid taxes in years. Different reasons though. HA!

Guy

Yes! I have their responses and such which I "Unintentionally" stuck into a three ring binder holder and so I added the deposit slip also to it.

Some people are just lucky. And errors DO happen. 

A person I know owns a nice late model European car, and it was hit with a hail storm earlier this year. The estimate was about $7000.

He took it in for repair, and when the repairs were completed, the insurance company sent payment to the garage.

A few weeks later, he got another check for the repair bill, in full.

Huh?

He got the car repaired by the company AND also a check for the repair?

Double reimbursement. Some people are just lucky.

I wonder if there is a statute of limitations on something like this. If they don't spot their error in seven years or so do you get to keep the money? :)

Well, you were luckier than I.....

Last year the insurance company stopped offering the plan i was on so I had to pick another one. When i signed up, i asked the insurance company to set me to "paperless" and to "auto-pay". Well, they set me to "paperless" but did NOT set my auto-pay. So yes, three months later they dropped me for nonpayment.

So I had no coverage last year and will be paying a penalty now this year.

(sigh)

IRS won't care that it was their mistake, though. If/when they realize they sent the money, and decide that it wasn't due you, they'll come after you for it, plus interest.

Yep. There's no such thing as "finders keepers"......

tx2sturgis said:
Some people are just lucky. And errors DO happen. 

A person I know owns a nice late model European car, and it was hit with a hail storm earlier this year. The estimate was about $7000.

He took it in for repair, and when the repairs were completed, the insurance company sent payment to the garage.

A few weeks later, he got another check for the repair bill, in full.

Huh?

He got the car repaired by the company AND also a check for the repair?

Double reimbursement. Some people are just lucky.

FYI: Keeping that 2nd check would be insurance fraud.

bugleyman said:
FYI: Keeping that 2nd check would be insurance fraud.

Yep....

And an internal audit will surely find the discrepancy someday, similar to an overpayment by the IRS.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I suspect that since I left the forms blank, the person filling it out could only go by what I had given for evidence and thus, they had no reason to believe I didn't pay those monthly fees myself (But looking at my earnings should have been a tip off) so they dutifully filled out the forms as required and came to the conclusion I was owed this money. In short, they made the mistake, but they also now have to find it....Needle, meet haystack.

Thus I do believe they'll "Most likely" not ever come for it, but just in case, I'll move it to another account to keep as a emergency fund or maybe I'll try and get a meeting with an IRS agent who knows how to fix all this....

Hey, worst case I get time in a Fed lock up...Uh oh.... :angel:

I use to underwrite mortgages and saw first hand how the irs came after people. Do yourself a favor call them. They will find the error, if one was made, all returns completed by the irs get audited. It may take awhile though. Request an audit be done when your on the phone. Trust me it's better to know. Besides, you may actually be entitled to the full refund.