a resource for dealing with the IRS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Want to share this info in case it helps someone --

The IRS is so monumentally understaffed anymore that it can be almost impossible to get through to a live human. Even when you find the right sequence of numbers to press, you may well get a recording that says call volume is too high, call back another day.

But there is a sort of side door in to customer service called the Taxpayer Advocate Service, where you seem to have a better chance of getting a live person. The wait times are still long, they don't handle everything (per their website the criteria are "Financial Hardship, IRS System Issue, Fair & Equitable Treatment"), and I think they'll only help you if you've tried everything else first. But if you get stuck in an IRS Nightmare Loop, they may be able to help.

They got me out of my nightmare loop this morning, and I had never heard of them before. So I wanted to pass on the info, in case it helps somebody else not tear their hair out over a tax problem. It really appears to be gonzo over at the IRS right now. (Let's not rag on them; I'm guessing it's hell on wheels working there too.)

Taxpayer Advocate Service :heart:
https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

If everyone already knew about this, I apologize and return you to your previously scheduled programming.

So the IRS, unable to do adequate customer service, creates a new sub group within the IRS to assist taxpayers who can't get assistance from the IRS.

Good to hear that they helped you.

Sure, if you like shooting fish in a barrel, go for it, I guess.

And if your life in 2021 has a shortage of annoyances, you can always use the IRS to top up your supply.

But the reason I posted was that there are times when a person really needs this access, and it can be difficult to find (at least it was for me), and I hope to save the next guy some hassle (or at least reassure that there is a way to get through). That's the only part that matters to me.