OFFICIAL CaravanOne Info (no chatter)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbgenrich

Reaction score
As _______________ (title pending) of CaravanOne, I'm starting this thread on behalf of the caravan.

This is the "no chatter" thread.

• Look for announcements here. 
  • Post only group oriented messages here.
There will be another thread for chatter with the subject "OFFICIAL CaravanOne Chatter" - enjoy that as appropriate.

-CB-

By way of introducing myself, I'm CB Genrich. I'm a long time friend of Randy Vining and he's asked me to work with him on the caravan. I'll be arriving there approximately Thanksgiving.

I'm really looking forward to arriving and being with the caravan. I'm particularly interested in getting some jam sessions going.

Randy and I have led three events at Slab City in the past. The Friends of Bob 2016 Slab City Encampment, the Friends of Bob 2017 Slab City Encampment, and the Friends of Bob 2018 Slab City Encampment. We know how to lead an event in Slab City and we know that good times will be had there. There is a focus there on informal performance music in particular at Slab City and if you or someone you know wants to play for a small audience - Slab City and the CaravanOne Slab City Encampment is the place to be.

If you're on CaravanOne now and you want to get to know me better before I get there, just ask Randy. Then tell me what he says so I can tell you what to believe.

-CB-

Caravanone is traveling to the slabs on Wednesday,
Come join us !

Here’s an image from CheapRVLiving.com with the specific location.

I ask anyone who’s there with CaravanOne to be sure that Randy or I are aware of that. Unlike most of the boondocking we will be doing, in Slab City we will be near and possibly intermingled with people who are not with CaravanOne and we will want to know.

https://i0.wp.com/images.cheaprvliving.com/Slab-City-Pic-3-GPS-Coordinates.jpg

All, CaravanOne is moving to Slab City!

I’ve setup a Facebook Group for our use while we’re there. It’s much more flexible than this Forum and it’s where announcements and chatter can live together.

On Facebook, search for “Friends of Bob 2019 Slab City Encampment” and join the group.

To filter out inappropriate lurkers you must reply to the joining question about why you’re an appropriate member. It’s intentionally vague so as to not give hints to lurkers. Say what you need to to convince me, like you’ve been traveling with CaravanOne, something that happened in camp I’ll remember, that you’re on your way to join CaravanOne, etc. I think we can all agree that lurker free is the way to go!

How about Facebook free is the way to go?
Shocking no doubt but not everyone is on Facebook.

cyndi said:

That worked for me. We did discover yesterday that even if perfectly typed the search still didn’t find it. But the link should, thanks for posting it. And you can use Facebook without installing the app or having a smartphone, though you have to have an account. 

Re: not using Facebook - it’s not clear there’s any app everyone has except text messaging and maybe a web browser. Web browser is what we use to access this forum. 

The lurker problem is creepy and real, and this web site has no filtering in that regard. We did some research on closed group communication apps last January. It’s pretty clear some app would have to be downloaded and used by everyone. Which app is less clear. I’m not disrespecting anyone for not using Facebook.

cbgenrich said:
Re: not using Facebook - it’s not clear there’s any app everyone has except text messaging and maybe a web browser. Web browser is what we use to access this forum.

I've said that I wouldn't go on Facebook to save my life (in fact, just today) but I did actually go there to get info about Jamie's Van Build Party. Let's just say, I would prefer not to have to go on Facebook, if at all possible.

My big problem is when people force you to go on Facebook to get important information. Then, you are forced to go there every darn day, just to check to see if there IS important information, then Zuckerstein's Monster gets its ad revenue for your views anyway. So, if you are going to have a Facebook page, separate from these forums, then you should try to mirror all the important information here. If there is something that you want to keep away from the lurkers, then you could announce here that there is new, important news on Facebook. That way we know when to check. 

P.S. I'm not in Caravan One, but you never know when I (or anyone else, for that matter) may decide to join. 

Thanks

Facebook notifies me of things, I don’t check just to see. Surely you could set that up as well, although that behavior is probably because I’m using the app. Check the notification settings.

I don't understand why lurkers are a reason to communicate through Facebook?

Anyway; SHOWERS
I checked out the showers at Bashford's Hot Springs.
Very nice. A day pass for $10 allows you use of the pool and mineral spring baths as well the showers.
There's two different shower area's, one by the pool the other by the mineral baths. The showers at the
mineral baths are individual rooms, easy to spread out your clothes and such ;)
10590 Hot Mineral Spa Rd, Niland CA
About 10 miles up RT 111

@AnFear:
Re: Bashford's Hot Springs.

Thanks for the tip.

Re: "Lurker". I am not sure why "lurking" would be a negative, and a reason to force Forum members to get connected into Facebook. More than a few CRVL members probably started lurking, as I did, before signing up. Getting the feel of the place and the crowd before joining in. Not just jumping in with comments.

It's not as if someone with negative intentions could/would not fake their way into the group through FB.

It seems a bit elitist. An inner circle.

Well it wasn't my intention to start a Facebook revolt. To paraphrase Marx; "I don't want to be a part of any group that would have me as a member".
Hopefully people will post information here useful to everyone in the Caravan. Dumps, propane, water etc. 

By lurker, I mean someone inappropriate, in a creepy way. You know who you are.

It is possible to keep a Facebook group free of inappropriate members - just know the person before you let them in.

The use of Facebook on CaravanOne is not meant to be elitist or be only for some inner circle. It’s much easier to use than CRVL Forums and allows membership control. You can create a Facebook account that you use for no other purpose, provide no real information to Facebook, not have any friends, and still be admitted to a group and participate, for free.

I’m interested to hear about alternative apps for private communication within a group that are better.