OFFICIAL CaravanOne Chatter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wind stopped and the stars are out. Tomorrow looks to be good!

Any of you at Borrego Springs or the Slabs know of someplace between the two where I could dump and fill? Thanks.

Angelack said:
Any of you at Borrego Springs or the Slabs know of someplace between the two where I could dump and fill? Thanks.

Just saw CB's post. So the east-bound rest area just west of the El Centro exit (next exit after to turn around) for dump and fill? Still looking for someplace between Slabs and A-B so I don't have to go all the way south to I-8.

I used my tools last night but couldn’t find anything for sure. There are RV parks in Bradley and Calipatria but you should call ahead. The dump station in Niland is said to be closed which is a real bummer.

The Desert Ironwood Resort (motel & RV park) west of Ocotillo Wells May have a $20 dump station.

Bashford Mineral Springs has a dump your tanks facility. Call for fees, last I knew 10.00 for day pass and showers including hot tub and heated pool. Additional 5 bucks to dump tanks.

Bashford's Hot Mineral Spa

10590 Hot Mineral Spa Rd, Niland, CA 92257
(760) 354-1315 https://g.co/kgs/oAC2mm

Given our intention to go south through Brawley to get to Ehrenburg (so places north of Niland aren’t on the way), I have verified a working dump station in Ehrenburg for $11.

Mini Mart
50078 Ehrenberg Parker Hwy
Ehrenberg, Arizona
GPS: 33.608365, -114.519271

There is a dump in Blythe on South Broadway for $7. At least there was last year at the waste water treatment plant

A suggestion regarding the last post in the no chatter thread:

Appoint someone to post the "minutes" here after you've had a meeting. I had no clue you have daily gathering times until I showed up there a few days after you had arrived.

I'm not always up for company and after a day of errands my knees may not be able to make it over to the suggestion box but this way we can be informed should someone want to join the caravan or maybe just participate in something you are doing.

Headache said:
A suggestion regarding the last post in the no chatter thread:

Appoint someone to post the "minutes" here after you've had a meeting. 

It’s a good suggestion. At a minimum key outcomes from meetings should be posted on the no chatter thread. 

However all of CheapRVLiving is a public and I personally feel that most of what we say and do should not be broadcast in public. In a closed members only forum I would feel differently about that.

I’m very much in favor of having an online members only forum for CaravanOne.

what's going on that's so secret? I mean you are not breaking the law or anything like that, I hope. is this the group that wanted to cut CRVL out and use Facebook? I don't understand, help me out here. highdesertranger

Don't have to post intimate details.
People are looking to get an overview of what being with a caravan is like.
General topics discussed in the meetings.
Issues that came up and how they were resolved, again without identifying personal information.
Same as the information that was posted publicly on the caravan one leader's personal blog post site.

"Hi. We're having a great time. Doing this and that. See you at the RTR!"

Wayne says people are looking to get an overview of what being with the caravan is like.

The forum is like a blog. Anyone can read it. And respond to it, annonomously. 

But we can be blogging about other people’s lives when we talk about the group. 

A person doesn’t need secrets to appreciate privacy. 

Facebook is better and much more private.

But public facing stuff here is fine. You’re blogging to people looking to get an overview of what being with the caravan is like...and others.

cbgenrich said:
Facebook is better and much more private.

But public facing stuff here is fine. You’re blogging to people looking to get an overview of what being with the caravan is like...and others.

Facebook(among others) doesn't care one iota about "privacy" unless it gets caught which is why I'm refusing to use it.  I want to protect my privacy too.

I'm confused as well.  I'm not asking for personal secrets or other such information.  I'm looking for information like if the caravan is part of the clean up or where it's going to next or after the RTR so that if I can go I can plan ahead.

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to trespass.

highdesertranger said:
what's going on that's so secret?  I mean you are not breaking the law or anything like that,  I hope.  is this the group that wanted to cut CRVL out and use Facebook?  I don't understand,  help me out here.  highdesertranger

I really have to agree with HDR, here. As soon as you start saying that only certain people are allowed in a discussion and only certain people can know what was discussed, you are getting really close to the slippery slope of exclusionary behavior. Now, I am all about privacy. That's precisely why I won't go on Zuckerberg's Monster unless absolutely necessary. And there are times when people do need their safe spaces (the WRTR, for example). But they don't keep the location and schedule of WRTR a secret. 

However, Bob Wells was very, VERY specific that the caravans should be "all inclusive." That people can just show up any time they like. That there is absolutely no concept of "joining" or "belonging to" a group. And, other than a few simple guidelines about being considerate and not breaking laws or the BLM rules, that no one would be telling anyone what they can and cannot do. You are either camped in an area or you are not. That's it. The whole idea of having meetings (where a small minority actually attend) where decisions are made about an entire group... The idea of creating an exclusive Facebook group where information is disseminated to only a few, is really starting to sound like someone is trying to start a (big-G) Government instead of building a loose community among nomads.

The next step is that certain people start deciding that other certain people don't get to join the FB group. Oh wait, the original stated purpose of the FB group was to keep out undesirables. So, we are already starting down that slippery slope. The next step is that people get booted out of the FB group or denied access in the first place just because they disagree with the direction this whole thing is going. 

Even the way that the FB group was initialized and the way the Caravan One Leader dealt with people who did not like it smacks of mild authoritarianism to me. He just essentially said "This is what we are going to do and if you don't like it, you are a rabble-rouser."

Well, I'm sorry if standing up for the principles of freedom and openness are "rabble rousing." I'm sorry if trying to defend what I believe Bob Wells is trying to achieve here is called "causing trouble" by some people. 

I wrote a private message about this to the Leader of Caravan One. His response left me feeling even more suspicious of his actions. He said, "It is obvious you have a problem with me..." (emphasis added). I want to be very, very clear. I do not have a problem with this person. I do not know this person at all. Until this person became a Leader of a caravan, I had never heard of him (assuming gender) or knowingly read a post by him. For all I know, this person may be my undiscovered soul mate :D . I do not have a problem with this person as an individual. I have a problem with this kind of behavior. This kind of "leadership" style. Even the way he responded is part of a pattern that is well documented in the history of both countries and office politics. Rather than deal with the issue at hand, this person chose to pretend that the only possible reason I might have a problem with his behavior is because I have a personal vendetta against him.

There may be nothing I will ever be able to do about this. It may be that I have gotten a completely wrong impression of what is going on "over there" in Caravan One. But I can say that I am very uncomfortable about camping anywhere where Caravan One is. I just don't want to have to deal with a coterie of people who have decided that they get to "decide" for other people about... well.... anything. 

P.S. Anyone who starts in about how I must be against all government is missing the point. I am talking about the context of these supposedly loosely knit, specifically ungoverned caravans. 

P.P.S. Any one who thinks I am just spouting off here is mistaken. I have been thinking about this issue for a very long time and trying to decide how I should respond. I saw Bob's video from December 30. And I noticed how they specifically pointed out that the Caravan Hosts are no longer called "Leaders" but "Hosts" and specified that they only do a minimum of things. Far, FAR less that the Leader of Caravan One is doing. So I finally decided that I needed to speak up. Maybe some people have moved all the way out here in the desert so they can have other people "decide" things for them. But I doubt it. I certainly did not. Though it is a shame that I (and possibly others) will feel the need to shy away from wherever Caravan One is located because of this.