Off to a really slow start!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
If this is any indication of how far I can travel in any time period...don't wait for me at the RTR, I'll be late... :D

I set my original departure date for Nov. 15th.

Then found out that it was a Sunday and I needed to leave town on a weekday so I could mail back my receivers for my satellite TV system and drop off my rental modem for my internet. Okay, we'll move departure date to the 16th.

The whole mid November date had been set because Mom had a gerontologist appointment for the 13th and without me there, she says 'oh I'm fine' to the Drs' question of 'how are you'. I'm the one that has to bring up any problems.

Slow forward to Nov. 10th - Mom phones, says she's not feeling well and has cancelled her Dr's. appointment...Duh, you're supposed to be going to the doctor when you're not feeling well, not cancelling your appointment...sigh.

A day later she collapses and is sent by ambulance to the hospital because she is severely dehydrated and badly malnourished along with having a bladder infection and a host of other problems from self neglect. She's needed institutional care for at least 3 years now and has refused to go.

I finish packing and move out of the apartment, go stay at her place while I try to get our government run medical service to sort out a future plan for her because now she's clearly demonstrated an inability to look after herself, not only to the family but to the PTB and the medical profession.

As of last Monday I finally feel that my brother has a grip on things and I'm outta there.

I left at the crack of dawn yesterday and got as far as friends' place in MI. Planned on leaving this morning after a quick trip to Verizon to set up my phone for US service.

They don't open til 10 AM so friend and I have breakfast and mosey on over there. 3 #$%^ hours later and much wearier we're finally out of their store. I have phone service. By that time it was definitely too late to start driving as I wasn't going to be able to get out of the colder weather before dark. Sleeping in the van in a W/M parking lot in temps in to the low 30's ain't worth it to me. Here I have an electric hook up.

Tomorrows supposed to be in the 70's here and I can get all the way in to KY or maybe even TN if I hustle.

So we went out while a couple of them played disc golf and I walked 18 holes of it with them...had a great time! And then went for a great dinner!

Let's see, 10 days since I was supposed to be out of there, gone maybe 600 miles....sigh!

Yep, could be March before I see Arizona at this rate.... :rolleyes: :D

When you get to Ky. you're only about 1700 mi. away. RTR's not till Jan. You got no problem, piece of cake. Course I'm not doin it. (-; You take care.

Sounds similar to my departure from MA. I made it to Q in decent time. but, had problems with my van and had to head for Vegas for repairs.

Sounds like my life on the road and off. All plans are written in jello. Or maybe frost on the window. The weather changes and the plan changes.

I say you're "there" now . The best part of every trip IS the trip!
You're out on the roads on your great RTR adventure.

YOU are now officially NOT Almost There , your new designation is There , Gettin' There , Out There

Well , you get the idea . New forum name time. (Can we do that ?)
Congratulations !!! You Made It!
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Oh yeah , the Jello thing is a part of every fulltimer's travel plans....or should be.

I am 'Almost There' and shall remain so, at least partly because there is always somewhere else I want to go further on down the road... :D

Hanging in a W/M parking lot just a little north of Nashville catching up with the emails and the forum. My cell phone hotspot is working flawlessly...probably shouldn't say anything out loud now should I.

Got to figure out who has free wi-fi while on the road and who doesn't so I'm not eating up my measly 3 Gbs of data time.

I got pretty emotional when I pulled in to the Tennessee Welcome Center to pick up maps and info on the Natchez Trace Parkway. It's been on my bucket list for so long now and this trip had so many piddly little delays that some times I wondered if it was ever going to really happen.

It's happening... :D It's real!

Let the adventure begin!

WoooooHooooo
Go go go
I lived in Nashville off and on for several years .
The Trace was always on my do list.
Just never got around to it......

post pics

Lots of free wi-fi out there.
Lowes , Micky D's , Starbucks , Panera Breads , Hiway visitor centers , just search with your phone wherever you are .

Happy Trails To You !

Almost there,there are lots of COE campgrounds where you are and if you are old enough they can be fairly cheap.If you are coming my way,you are welcome to hole up here for a couple of days.I invite a lot of folks to visit me and Vic,but only a few show up.I think most people look at the sh... stuff I post and think"No way am I going anywhere near that nut."Anyway,hope you have a good trip.

@Almost There
The free campground south of Jackson, MS (Rocky Springs) has a nice trail through a ghost town. Not much left but it is a nice walk. When I was there a couple of months ago cell service stops about 1/4 mile before the campground, works at the walking trail (can't park there) and picks up again just south of the campground. :) It's a dead spot...

I stayed several nights at the Meriwether Lewis NP campground right on the Trace near Hohenwald, TN. It is quite nice and FREE.

It is about mile post 385-386 ?

If you are just north of Nashville, however, that will be a short drive to get to that campground.. not a whole day's worth.

Oh.. I wanted to ask about your cell phone working as a hotspot (not tethered?)... do you mind saying what phone and service you have?

Yep, could be March before I see Arizona at this rate....
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
Almost There......enjoy the trip....enjoy the experience.....
You are doing well!
If you want to see a slow trip....keep reading Tony and Karen's Rt.# 66....
That's a slow trip... but they are enjoying the ride...
Best of luck to you!

WriterMs said:
I stayed several nights at the Meriwether Lewis NP campground right on the Trace near Hohenwald, TN. It is quite nice and FREE.

It is about mile post 385-386 ?

If you are just north of Nashville, however, that will be a short drive to get to that campground.. not a whole day's worth.

Oh.. I wanted to ask about your cell phone working as a hotspot (not tethered?)... do you mind saying what phone and service you have?

Meriwether Lewis will likely be the first night stop on the trail.

I'm at quite a nice W/M right now with a Lowe's beside it so I have free Wi-Fi ..yeaaaaa! I moved from the north side of town to the south side and I'm glad I did. I'm marking the Pilot/Flying J off the list that's on the Briley west side...place had a whole 10 car parking spots and no free Wi-Fi....can you tell I'm learning quickly.... :D

It's raining now and supposed to continue all darn day. I wanted to start the trace today so I'll see what the weather looks like. I know I won't melt but still, pictures look best in better weather... :)

I'm on Verizon. So much for being told that my Samsung S4 bought in Ontario and unlocked from Virgin Mobile (Bell network) could just have a Sim card installed and be good to go here....NOT!

I ended up with an HTC Desire 526 from Verizon. Phone cost me a $120.00 because I didn't want a contract since I'm only in the US part time. I only looked at phones that were low price and could be used as a hotspot. I figured if I was going to have to buy a phone instead of using my S4, at least I didn't also have to buy a Jetpack as well. No tethering although using it as a hotspot eats up the battery in a hurry so I keep it plugged in while I'm using it. I may have to invest in a booster antenna at some point though, we'll sort that out when I get to Q.

I picked up 3 gb of data for $45.00 a month, it costs me $20. a month for unlimited talk and text and I had to add a $10.00 a month 1000 minute calling to Canada. I didn't need a 1000 minutes but that's the smallest they had and at $10.00 it's cheap enough.

My rush to get here wasn't because I don't know how to slow down.... :D It's just that I wanted to start this adventure a long time ago and it seemed that stuff kept getting in my way. Now that I'm actually here I can relax and take my time. There's a geocache in the parking lot I have to grab before I leave... :rolleyes: and while I'm on free Wi-Fi and it's raining would be a good time to start up the blog!

Almost, you have the right attitude. That outlook will take you far in your chosen life. Have fun, stay warm and enjoy the adventure.

ahh_me2 said:
So... Almost There is now "There"

Awesome!

Well, I've always been 'there' one place or another... :D

But there's always some other place to be 'there' that I've not gotten to yet!

I don't figure I'll ever get to all the 'there's' I want to be so I'll remain 'Almost There'.

Okay, it's been raining for 36 hours now and I'm trying to figure out if I want to stay where 'there' is for the day and read novels or get on with the traveling. I'm dry, warm and comfy and it's wet out there... :rolleyes: