INTJohn's Belated Winter '21-'22 Truk Livn

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTJohn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is to get caught up and I'm writing from my notes, pix & memory............

I didn't leave Kamp Koon in Michigan until afternoon of 22 November - weeks later than my usual departure dates of late Oct but I had a dental appointment for 22 Nov AM and left Michigan as soon as I cleared Dentist. Since I would still be here in Michigan for the firearm deer season opening on 15 Nov decided to buy a license and hunt - something I hadn't done for several years.

Went to my storage place and pulled out my 30-06 and reacquaint myself with it and work up some loads - ammunition to hunt with. Had been awhile- years- since jonny boi had done any of this and had to research all of my old notes & ballistic data. Get my head back into it. One mistake and you might not only wreck an expensive firearm but take the side of your face off with it.:unsure:
INTJohn

7352535E-CC43-4600-97B1-BAC46D2EF426.jpeg
Above: makin bullays……..
Below: success. Shot a lil buck 16 Nov
B0BAEA7B-C3DE-46DD-89B9-D4693C559FA7.jpeg

21788C78-A603-4E11-89A8-5D39F8E4598E.jpeg
Next skin & butcher. Tenderloins are cooked & eatin immediately. Took the backstraps with me when I left Michigan and the rest gave to a friend where I store The Box.
Venison: Meat fit for kings…….
Jonny boi b eetin good.

Left Michigan headed for San Diego, Ca; haven't been there for 3 years, mostly because of all the covid Chaos so was looking forward to hanging out in SoCal for winter; beaches, desert, Salton Sea, Indio, etc......... that was the plan anyhow. Then in spring was planning on taking the Pacific Hiway scenic drive north to Seattle, turn East and mosey my way back to Kamp Koon in Michigan.

Drive to SD was uneventful: spent the first night at Sikeston, Mo. Drove all next day thru Mo. & Ark. and into Texas where spent night 2 at Big Springs, Tx. After another day of driving, spent the night in Yuma and after waking & gassing up drove into California. Stopped at the Sand Hills "Oasis" on I-8 where topped all of my water jugs & tank, 35 gallons. Several hours later arrived at the Ocean Beach parking lot for a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean. Chilled for a day or so & then that Saturday , 27 Nov, caught the 9 am PST kikoff of the Michigan vs Ohio St. football game which my alma mater - University of Michigan won 42-27! Fuk Ohio St. GO BLUE!

More to come...........intjonny luzsha

Tuesday, 30 Nov:
Helped an old friend move from an apartment to a very nice one near neighborhood of Clairemont maybe 3 miles from the Ocean. Spent most of the week hangin at Crown point park enjoying the views of Mission Bay looking toward fiesta island. Mornings were mostly cool & foggy; not my kind of weather & long range SD forecasts were not encouraging. 30 day outlook calling for below ave temps with above ave rain. I don't come to San Diego for cool, cloud and drizzle - NO! Thats what you go to fuking Seattle for not SD..........

Friday, 3 Dec:
Evening hung out at the iconic Pacific Beach Shoreclub; right on the Pacific Ocean with above said friend who bought the drinks and frankly got the ole man a lil fukt up.........
Saturday said friend joined me at the Backyard Kitchen Beach Bar in PB where we watched my alma mater Michigan Wolverines destroy Iowa for the Big Ten football Championship. The Backyard Kitchen Beach Bar is the University of Michigan Alumni Association sports hang in San Diego so place was packed with Maize & Blue.
Was a good time.
Jonny boi luzsha baybee

Sunday, 5 Dec
Decided to leave the coast for the desert cause the weather sucked and all of the holiday SD crowds aint my thing anyway. Spent a couple days in the desert but the desert was just its old dry dusty self and I said you know what?, jonny boi? Lets just blow this entire scene for warmer and more scenic places and that Tuesday topped off the gas tank in Yuma and headed toward Amistad National Park just north of the border town of Del Rio, Texas.

I love the remote scenic solitude that Amistad NP offers one this time of year and this stay did not disappoint. There are 3 campgrounds on the South side of Amistad with full hookups and all that - you know a suburban subdivision on tires but i hang on the North side which is a very primitive area. When I arrived my preferred spot was available and there were only 2 others camps in the vicinity. One about 3/4 mile NW'ly and another about 1/2 mile to the East and the one NW'ly left the next day.

Due to the severe drought in this part of Tx the water in the Amistad reservoir was VERY low. Only about 10 feet above the alltime lowest elevation since the Amistad International Dam became operational in 1969.I hadn't been here for almost 3 years - since Feb '19 and my spot at that time was at the backwater edge but now the backwater was some 1.5 miles away.

Wildlife viewing is spectacular here and it always seems to offer something new & interesting to me but i especially enjoy frequent sightings of whitetail deer. This time of year is deer breeding time so all the deer are quite active with numerous daily sightings. I remember 2 very large racked bucks who could easily make the cover of an outdoor/hunting magazine. Spectacular.

Amistad also gave me a special treat as it revealed to me 2 white wing tipped bald eagles. A special sighting and while it was brief as they flew away immediately upon spotting me it was never the less something I'll always. remember.

Pitcher time next........
Intjonny Luzsha baybee

1F021A7A-F62D-4DBE-A380-AA43EA4C7BD4.jpeg
This picture of white wing tipped bald eagle I got from the internet so one gets an idea. I did not take this. Credit in lower right corner.

Besides all the deer and eagles, also saw gray fox. Porcupine, 2 spotted skunx a nutria and numerous rabbits & water birds.
Amistad never fails to reward me……intjohn

13CDC6E8-1EED-400B-89BF-B6E4A6A3C88B.jpeg
Above: Rest stop in southeastern Zona, I think.
36339331-6AFB-4672-8310-E618F89AADFB.jpeg
Above: rest stop at Pecos river bridge near Rio Grande confluence. Cats always find me. Haha
896B0F9C-D38A-41F8-836A-2BAAD7648782.jpeg
Jonny boi

Last edited:
0CAA4BA4-460A-42AB-A335-B5BB50768EA7.jpeg
Above view of reservoir backwater while hiking about 2 miles from Kamp.
Below is near backwater near where I saw the eagles. M sitting on 25ish foot limestone cliff
B709E194-90A1-4DEF-8F46-E5843E2C4CF3.jpeg

D8FBC8C3-4C7D-4FDA-A09A-A473216EF283.jpeg
Above is pik about 1/4 mile frum Kamp and m standing in an area that was completely submerged last time I was here almost 3 years ago. The limestone/shale cliff is about 40 feet high and before I was sitting on top looking down at water. If you look close you can see a darkish line about middle of cliff that was the waterline last time I was here.
Nuff 4 now
intjonny

After spending several days at Amistad, drove across Texas past San Antonio spending the night east of Houston near Baytown.
FFBF96AF-429B-450B-99C4-39242CEC7E33.jpeg
Where again the cats always find me. :LOL:
Awoke and drove into Loozyanna traveling along the coast toward Holly Beach where observed cattle & horse skeletons that had drowned frum Hurricane Laura; pik below.
71EDA145-0FF3-4DF5-B595-DB4580541BED.jpeg
Kept driving toward Rutherford Beach where I spent several days. Rutherford Beach is a fav of mine as it’s very remote and it had gone thru drastic changes since my last visit. Hurricane Laura struck this area in August’20 and while doing major human property damage & some fatalities, it had transformed Rutherford Beach into a thing of absolute beauty.
intjonny boi

14 Dec
Left Rutherford Beach, driving across Loozyanna sleeping for the night at the Mississippi I-10 Welcome Center by the Space research center. Awoke & drove to Long Beach Ms. where parked adjoining the Gulf of Mexico for breakfast and watching the sunrise. Continued across Mississippi and into Alabama. Typical drive thru Al including the Mobile Tunnel under Mobile Bay and heading south along the east bay shore where had lunch at a favorite lil outa the way spot; quiet & serene and a great spot to observe dolphins.

Left Ala and went into Florida where I stopped at Big Lagoon State Park purchasing an annual Fla St Prk pass - 65$. Left Big Lagoon as much is still closed from hurricane damage and hung out on Opal Beach several miles East spending the night at my secret sleeping spot at Navarre Beach; a few miles east of Opal.
More on the way; intjonny boi

Awoke next AM and drove to Grayton Beach St Park where I chilled for the day, refilled all water containers and then left toward Panama City Beach where spent the night at my old tried & true sleep spot about 1/4 mile from the Gulf. Next day spent at St Andrews St Prk, again just chilled enjoying beautiful weather & beach……
Then it was on toward St George’s Island where I would spend several days.

St George’s is one of my most fav beaches anywhere and if it wasn’t for cooler temps this time of year in North Florida I would stay here sooooo much longer. So remote & scenic but spent only 3 days then drove to the lil inland town of Dunnellon where I spent 3 days with friends.

They live on the edge of the Goethe State Forest and this area is Florida Woods & Wilderness at its finest. Campfires every eve, & great conversation. Departed on Wednesday AM, 22 Dec & headed toward Honeymoon Island area where spent 5 days then moved south of the Tampa Bay/ St Pete megapolis to the Bonita Springs/Naples area. Temps in 80s; night lows 60’s, blue skys, beautiful water & sunsets……. ummm, no reason to leave.

jonny boi livin the dream

26 Dec: Early AM

Krysmus night move to nice, remote, quiet, safe spot to park truk & sleep for the night. When I’ve been in Palm Harbor/Dunedin area I’ve used this spot before and it’s always been a great place. Never any issues getting a good nights sleep or unsavory types around, you now at 2am……..

To sleep I go and the law of averages finally catches up about 1:10 am as I’m awakened by some conversation going on but shit, it sounds they’re practically inside my truk ready to crawl in the sack with me.

OK, it’s not like I’ve never had this occur before but usually the peeps are walking somewhere drunk, etc and the voices fade into the distance after a minute or so & jonny boi rolls over and returns to sleepyville. But not this time. These assholes will not leave or STFU!

After about 10 minutes and am now totally awake I peek out the window corner to see if these idiots are ready to shoot each other or what and guess wtf I’m looking at?

3 cop cars and 5 cops standing around 30 feet behind my truck having their 1 AM on a slow Saturday night bull/rap/therapy session and they will not stfu. And, of course, I can’t open the door and say, “her dudes? Can you like quiet down some a lil or ah better yet maybe move a block or 2 away? I’m like tryin to sleep.
Thanx.

Nope. Can’t do that. Those cops will be fukin with me the rest of the night. So I gotta suk it up and ride it out while I’m thinkin where’s a damn domestic dispute somewhere when ya want one? Car wreck maybe, high speed chase? Something for gawdz fuking sake happen somewhere so these cops will need to earn their $$$$ and I can get back to sleep.

Geesh. Well the party finally broke up a lil after 2am. Ahhh peace & quiet and back to sleepy land at last.
Jonny boi needin his beauty sleep.

Pitchure tyme:
DD4310DB-050F-4507-BF9E-AF8E2FFBAFC5.jpeg
Above view at Opal Beach; Gulf Islands National Seashore
Below: Friends backyard; Goethe State Forest
6BFAEA60-4127-4E5B-A7E7-D0571746F701.jpeg

516FCDD7-21F5-4A45-9448-3C3CA6FA7914.jpeg
Above: atop the truk xmess day; Dunedin Causeway
Below: Gulf view at Honeymoon Island.
5F365105-DEA8-4532-AC1A-CA7B8F866BB9.jpeg
More…….
intjonny luzsha

27 Dec
Left Honeymoon area for Lovers Key State Park south of Fort Meyers Beach & north of Bonita Springs. This is one of my favorite beaches anywhere; especially for finding seashells. Many varieties.
1517DB09-342F-4DB9-88A0-005A56CAE16C.jpeg
Above: a gorgeous banded tulip.
7C90566B-2911-4AC9-A359-4445049ECDED.jpeg
Above: frum top. Nutmeg, Lace Murex, Yellow Spot Cone & Kings Crown. Beautiful specimens

D73DC2B9-AF50-45B6-8645-B11BD170B1EE.jpeg
Above: shells that I gave away to strangers.
I enjoy looking for seashells while hiking along miles of shoreline……..

Seashells are so dope! They are the manifestation of the reality of the evolutional freedom & journey of Life: predator vs prey; prey vs predator; birth, growth, resilience, strength & struggle, food, murder & death; within Earth’s environment & forces; And they just plain pretty as fuk!
What’s not to love?
INTJohn

1 Jan, 2022 New Years Day
E7167EAC-5300-4ED6-AD7A-1382C0B18DE1.jpeg
Above: Found this Horse Conch (left) and an Apple Murex (right ). When shelling finding an Apple Murex a day yep ; keeps the Dr away :cool:

4AA85545-A202-4B95-9766-8B2AE44D1164.jpeg
Above: 4 Jan. My plan to search the low tidal estuaries paid off big time as I found this very nice 8” long Horse Conch as well as the smaller 3” one. Also found 2 other Horse Conchs that were about 10” long that were alive - the animal itself is a brilliant orange in color; beautiful. I watched them abit till the tide began to rise and then left them alone.

Horse Conchs are not a true Conch at all as conchs are pure herbivores and the Horse Conch is the ultimate gastropod mollusk flesh eating Death Star. If it gets you in it’s sights you are prolly not going to escape being digested. Being the Apex predator that they are, they’re not easy to find tho they’re not rare and I enjoy searching for them.
intjonny boi luzsha baybee alway have alway will!

6 Jan 22 early morning
Have left Mainland Florida and entered into The Keys. Following my usual ways & means as previously documented in prior threads.
Beautiful Beaches, picturesque scenery, teal green gin clear waters, looking for shells and Oh Yeah! Perfect weather: mid 70’s day; low 60’s night; blue skies. Some days been a lil windy but hey it’s called tropical breezes right?
Hell yeah!
Jonny boi livin the dream

7 Jan
72A029E5-C0CD-4952-B55D-5226C74445E1.jpeg
Above: walking & wading the miles of gin clear waters of beautiful Bahia Honda Beach found these 2 Conchs. Larger one is a Milk Conch; smaller a Hawkwing Conch. Ok, the color isn’t great and they’re wave worn but they’re the first 2 I’ve ever found that weren’t broke so I was excited by the finds.
F110BAC5-3A64-4D5B-A7A3-CF0369770460.jpeg
Next day found this awesome ALIVE Hawkwing Conch. Isn’t it beautiful? Took this pik then put it back to the water. Zoom in to left of shell opening and you can see it’s eyes. Those eyes are like major kra! It’s like OMG! I’m out of the water and wtf am I looking at?
Yep, I always put live shells back in the water.
intjonny

F17C2015-AF7A-4392-B423-81974B0C0F74.jpeg
Above: this is what happens when I let the lil guys living in their shell get on with their lives! (See previous post) Karma rewarded me with a bunch of seashell booty…….
Below: an awesome find of a huge Queen Conch shell approximately 11” long! I was so excited when I first saw it in about 3’ of water, I was like OMG!OMG! Don’t be broke! It’s one of my best finds ever.
FF481BCD-26FC-4B10-ADB7-8C1C97D81294.jpeg
38B04AF7-B9A3-4E49-B97F-77A47FA84086.jpeg
Who lives better than I do!? Yep, I do!
So much more to come.
intjonny boi livin the dream

9F9DF2AC-9BD3-4201-B7BA-E84655A30749.jpeg
Above: a few more shells I found in the Keys.

36BF964C-9BBF-4D11-ADBA-BB5E7622D134.jpeg
This one will clean up nicely and be a thing of beauty……
Time to leave the Keys, tho and 18 Jan I drove back to the Mainland.
Don’t forget
intjonny luzsha baybee alway have alway will

Last day in the Keys was spent chillin at Pennekamp St Prk where also topped off with water to full capacity. This park doesn’t have much in the way of a beach; at least not by my definition but it’s a great place for reef snorkeling, kayak & sup

After the park closed at sunset I stopped at a fav Key Largo tiki bar hang for a cupl “ sea ya latr, Keys” gin & tonix and then it was back to the mainland. Awoke next am headin north: destination West Palm & Riviera Beach to explore MacArthur State Park to hang for the foreseeable future enjoying the 2 miles of pristine beach & wilderness sandwiched between the miles of typical Florida coast high rise condos and hotel resorts.
Nutha day in Paradise
intjonny livin too gud