No, two bags will not hide your poop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a newcomer on this forum and ran across this thread. In the spirit of poking it with a stick, I will state I am a cat holer whenever possible. If I stop for gas (for the vehicle!), I take advantage of the facilities and poop and pee if at all possible. I tend to find locations very remote and away from people, facilities, etc. In these situations, it is a cat hole.

I think the key is common sense and respect. Like anything, most of the rules are there because of stupid people who just don't care or don't have any common sense. I have been in remote areas and lo and behold, right on the trail is a f*cking human turd! It is because of morons like this that all the rules exist. How hard is it to step off the trail a ways, dig a hole with a stick, do the business and then cover it up?

In my years of travel all over British Columbia, this is not something I have ever had to deal with.  Like everyone here, I've used every sort of facility along the way, truck stops, rest stops, construction site, parks, sports facilities and many others.  If I'm just stopping for the night, I look for a spot before I stop, if needed or once I'm back on the road.

I've never camped at a spot without an outhouse.  In early July we had a heat wave, recording the highest temperatures ever recorded in Canada.  I spent the week at a site with 1 table, 1 fire pit, 1 outhouse and snow on the ground.

Zum 6p.JPG

In addition to Provincial and National Parks there are over 1700 Provincial Recreation Sites.  At a rough guess from my travels and exploration of the website about half of them have fewer than 10 sites and fewer than half charge some kind of fees.  Fees usually apply to larger sites, closer to urban areas.  I don't think any are over $15.  Here are some of the places I visited in my travels.

DSC_0759p.JPGDSC_0861p.JPG

One solution, of course, would be for everyone to come to BC.  While everyone is welcome, a mass influx might not work.

Anyway, I hear stories about the BLM and other lands not being used respectfully.  Long story, many threads.  What am I talking about?  How is that related.

Maybe, just maybe, there should be areas where there are outhouses and either guidelines or enforcement of how many people can be in that area.  I'm not suggesting creating campgrounds.  My thinking is that people might be more inclined to congregate in these areas.  Those who want to go further can still go.

This isn't, by any means a fully thought through thesis.  I was just thinking that something similar to the Rec Sites in BC might help to focus people in some areas and further protect others.

Here's a link to the BC Rec Sit and Trail System for someone who wants to see more.
Recreation Sites and Trails B.C. - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)

It might be something worth advocating for.

DSC_0943p.JPGDSC_1013p.JPG

MG

Attachments

• Zum 6p.JPG
    Zum 6p.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0759p.JPG
    DSC_0759p.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0861p.JPG
    DSC_0861p.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0943p.JPG
    DSC_0943p.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1013p.JPG
    DSC_1013p.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 75
This topic ..well it kind of stinks,. Time to escape the area.

JanaBanana said:
I have been in remote areas and lo and behold, right on the trail is a f*cking human turd!  It is because of morons like this that all the rules exist.  How hard is it to step off the trail a ways, dig a hole with a stick, do the business and then cover it up?

You know for a fact that it was human? As a dog owner (who always carries bags with me when I walk her), I would assume any turds off the side of a trail were dog turds. When I stay at pet friendly hotels, I'm amazed how many people do not pick up their dog's leavings. Some of those large breeds have bigger turds than anything I've ever shat out.

I'm cutting back on the use of plastic bags for environmental reason. Just shit right in the dumpster.

Heck with this. I built my van all around a real RV toilette that I wanted more than anything else. Yes, I was able to fit a bed inside anyway.  I'm camping. Out in the woods. I don't need a tent. Sometimes I get a campfire. There are trout to be caught. I fry them up breaded in seasoned flour with real butter and sliced almond chips.  I have a table that supports a 22 inch wide flat top griddle and enough solar power to run a 6.5 gallon Ninja Foodi pressure cooker / air fryer. It even broils steaks on hot rails for burning grill marks into the meat. I'm more about what makes things into shit than figuring out how to best put that result in a carry away baggie. There is no way that I'm ever going to be happy about crapping in a baggie. I did that in Yosemite when I was a rock climber. You don't drop bombs on unsuspecting climbers below. You just don't do that no matter what.  You know what it's like packing a bag of shit into your rucksack full of pitons?  My shit made the first ascent of 'Crap City,' a new difficult crack on the north face.

We use a Luggable Loo (5 gallon bucket with a toilet lid) and trash compactor bags with a little kitty litter at the bottom. We use it for #'s 1 & 2, trash, and kitchen waste. After a #2 (or, when it gets full of trash), we tie it up with a zip lock and put it in the spare tire trash bag (outside the vehicle). We've never experienced a problem with smell. However, we've never experienced a problem with Raccoons and Bears trying to get at our trash, either.

So I was watching them videos and heard a couple of people say, "I just poop into two bags and put them in the garbage," and I thought: Oh, a second bag, apparently that works. (I'm sure I missed something, but...) Came to this farm, did for a couple of days, went to throw something in the trash and, of course, was knocked out by the smell.

Dug 'em out, bagged 'em up, and went looking for that "public dumpster" the original poop baggers' mentioned, found one out in front a visitors center by the highway where the trucks parked, tossed the bag in -- then saw a sign saying, "No household waste or we revoke your birth day, sincerely: The State of Maine." Whoops.

So I tried to get that out, but you know what? It was pretty deep. So knocked on the back door -- the visitors center being closed for Covid, of course -- and said, "I threw a bag of crap in there, should I get it out?" And the guy said, "Nah, just don't do it again."

I wonder what he said when he opened that dumpster later.

Oh, well.

But are people really just pooping in bags and throwing them in dumpsters? I'm finding that hard to believe. Maybe out west, but it's a dicey proposition here, my friends. I'm back to the sawdust and grateful for the lesson.
"No household waste" means do not bring your garbage from house to throw in there. Bags of poop from camping should be fine. I throw a handful of wood chips in with the poop as well to help with moisture and small control.

My 98 year old mother in law lives in an assisted living facility. This place is licensed and regulated by the state. Nothing is too insignificant to not be covered by at least one regulation.

Walter is the maintenance guy. He constantly battles paper towels and flushable wipes. If any diapers were flushed he would know. He has never complained to me about diapers or the flat pads used on beds and chairs.

The adult diapers get folded up with the poop, wiping materials, and gloves usually inside a flat pad. Then it goes in the trash bag in the bathroom. That goes to the big trash bag when the little ones get emptied. Finally the big bag goes in the dumpster along with food waste and all other trash.

Nobody kneels before the toilet rinsing out diapers.
You have provided the most interesting answer! For you've explained that the state has regulated that the best thing to do is bag it and head for the dumpster. I also mix both poo and pee with white vinegar where I do them (separately), resulting in no bad smell from either.

Virtually every surface in the public is covered with fecal contaminates. That should be a much bigger concern than odor. If you don't smell it or see it it doesn't exist?

Why would the idea of doodoo compacted and buried in a dump be worse than all that crap going into the water system, streams, lakes, oceans...which is far greater health threat than buried. You do realize the the doodie isn't going anywhere once in the landfill... its compacted and buried...unlike flowing from a sewage "treatment" plant and then released back into the waters.. talk about crap going everywhere!

I am always amazed at how many people live in a bubble.... I just wish they would stay there.

I guess you could always crap on a paper plate then put it on the campfire..

Here is a link to a nice little diagram from the EPA explaining what happens to sewage from the toilet.

https://www3.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/centralized_brochure.pdf
I'm afraid to look at that! I do the best I can wherever I can.