No, two bags will not hide your poop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slow2day said:
Dang. With 100,000,000 cats in our homes, I guess the planet is doomed.
I agree totally. Kitty litter is just granulated artificially made clay. Leave it out in the rain and sun and it melts away into the soil. There are no chemicals just clay and water. Meanwhile it is being put into a hole in a vast desert.
I think environmentalists have gone way overboard on what does or does not harm our planet. Be sensible sure but kill myself to protect earth, NO. Kitty litter, sawdust, wood shavings are the most natural and easy on the planet materials you could have.
My regret is the plastic shopping bags I place it in. Goodness knows what the halflife is on one of those. I always imagine that when a landfill is sealed the trees and grass will send its roots down deep piercing the bags and breaking them down. The insects and worms will work their way through any plastic bags breaking them down even further. Not worth worrying about.

When you see a sign on the dumpster at a rest area, gas station, or other accessible place that says "No Household Waste", they're not in a panic regarding you adding 3 days worth of solid human waste. They're objecting to having to pay for more dumpings than they should, because some of the local people think it's okay to load up the bin with their broken chairs, car parts, damaged inflatable rafts, all of their replaced fence boards, yard waste and
pee-stained mattresses, because they're too cheap to take the crap to the dump. Every extra time the the business has to call the waste retrieval company, it costs them money.

I don't think they're very concerned with the 4 days of solid human waste.

Americans are obsessed with cleanliness. Using figures from the last Census, there are around 328 million people in this country, and each one uses an average of 26 gallons of water per day to flush their little nasties. That totals roughly 13 billion gallons of water per day. But nearly everyone does it without conscious thought. (We're well-trained)

There is nothing wrong with composted sh!t -- it makes a great fertilizer. But it's too much work, and takes too much time, and it's icky, and we would actually have to THINK about it.

Human urine is mostly sterile, unless you've got a bladder infection or leptospirosis (very rare), and it contains about 2.5 lbs of minerals and nutrients per year. You can use it in your garden from the moment of production.

The problem is not the waste, it's the overly delicate mindset of the people.

If you have ever walked by a bin on a hot day where people dump their dog poop  then you will know you need to be very considerate as to not dumping it in bins whwew people need to walk or work close by to. The trash cans at the entrance to stores or receptacles by the gas pumps are inappropriate places to put the feces of any species.

Dupmsters are preferred if you are going to put that kind of waste in them. That is because at least a big machine is tipping the waste in rather than a person who has to lift the can up into a dumpster. Just be thoughtfuul and do unto others as if you were the person responsible for taking care of the trash. Also treat the restrooms with the same consideration when you use one.  Sometimes people make the jobs other people do unessarily gross work. As many van dwellers need work camping jobs to supplement their life on the road incomenincomen it could be someone similar to or even be members of this group who end up being your camp host.

BelgianPup said:
Americans are obsessed with cleanliness.  Using figures from the last Census, there are around 328 million people in this country, and each one uses an average of 26 gallons of water per day to flush their little nasties.  That totals roughly 13 billion gallons of water per day. 

There is nothing wrong with composted sh!t -- it makes a great fertilizer.  But it's too much work, and takes too much time, and it's icky, and we would actually have to THINK about it.

it's the overly delicate mindset of the people.
I don't think the fact that americans waste the most water equates to cleanliness. It is not as if anyone is using that 26 gallons a day to mop the floors.

It took a few times for me to understand fully the whole compost toileting. I think terminology is everything and as you mentioned it is really just a diverting system. I wretch to think of driving with months of crap decomposing under my bed. Really only a stix and brix of some sort can put the composting toilet to good use.

overly delicate mind set is putting it kindly.

I will dispose of my crap as it suits my situation unless directly prohibited by law. I imagine most folks will.
I am certainly NOT going to wait for the day to not be "hot".. whatever that means..
is there a temperature at which shit is more odoriferous than others that I should try to avoid? What is the sweet spot temp for putting my fecal matter in the trash receptacles that may be detected with the human nose?

BelgianPup said:
Human urine is mostly sterile, unless you've got a bladder infection or leptospirosis (very rare), and it contains about 2.5 lbs of minerals and nutrients per year.  You can use it in your garden from the moment of production.

The problem is not the waste, it's the overly delicate mindset of the people.
Human urine being sterile is among our more ridiculous myths.  And you cannot use it safely in your garden unless you want to harm your garden and brag about your urine or something.  But hey, some people are so entranced with their own urine that they drink it, so whatever.  You're never going to get over the common belief in magic ... even in the magic of urine, oddly enough.

BelgianPup said:
...Some people have successfully made smaller worm bin toilets, strictly for solids (urine is collected separately) for use in stationary tiny homes.

But has anyone heard of people using them in mobile rigs?

I'm thinking that the vibration of travel  might irritate them, and cause them to try to escape.  Would setting the bin on a foam pad reduce the vibration enough to do any good?

Any thoughts, or websites about people trying this?
I think that temperatures are too high and too variable inside a rig for worms. Also, you would need the worm bin to get some air so you could have some earthy smells inside there. That sounds like a good project for the back porch.
-crofter

Well, pup. You should go ahead and try. We all would like a report down the line on what happened. My self rather not live with my waste. But, I do like and respect worms. Did you know earth worms are not native to North America? We have a native worm we call 'blood worms' They bite but make good bait when fishing coastal brackish water.

Weight, maybe those are the worms that a guy told me about years ago. He said they had teeth ?. Worms with teeth...
He was from the South.

About the odor... I think people cover the waste with sawdust. One couple had their unit right in their tiny house bathroom but maybe they had a vent. It's been a while.

I'm thinking of how to break down waste so it's less of a nuisance or danger.

But HDR. Common earth worms or night crawlers are not native to the Americas. :)

Please don’t “Chuck garbage” into the ocean. It isn’t time honored for the animals and people who live next to it. If I could I’d sentence you to two years volunteering where I have volunteered at the Marine Mammal Care Center. There you will see the sickening results of the “time honored tradition” of “chucking “
trash into the ocean. Countless animals die or are permanently maimed. If you haven’t lived by the ocean I think you think you toss something and it goes 3,000 miles away. It doesn’t. It sticks around polluting and harming humans and animals.
And if you are talking about sailing (which I don’t think you were) read about the enormous floating garbage piles. I grew up sailing and we never ever threw trash into the ocean.

Weight:. Common earthworms or nightcrawlers are not native to the Americas.

That's true, but they aren't considered invasive at this time. Humans, now...

Just to summarize the diversity in styles on here:
A few prefer their waste would end up in the water.
BP wants to treat waste with worm composting bin.
IAMK prefers the cat hole.
Izzy in favor of kitty litter, and grocery bags.
Nature going with biodegradable corn bags & sawdust.
Wayne bags it with lime in a tide pod container.
DS has discovered BiffyBags.
Ding is holding her prebagged parcels in a groover.
Sueann holds her prebagged parcels in a coffee cannister.
Many of these ultimately are collected in a double doodie waste bag with bio-gel or similar and disposed of in regular trash receptacle. This method is legal except where prohibited, but not used by everyone. The double doodie bags all cost about $3 each, so could dispose of more than one visit to the loo.

I usually use a coffee filter target with kitty litter & prebagged & stowed in coffee cannister to kill the smell.

Links to sources of the double doodie bags & similar.
-crofter

In answer to the OP, I will say that the two bags listed below will hide your doodie. All come with bio-gel and legal to dispose in trash.
-crofter

Here are the links.

The cheapest at $12.95 for 6
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Portable-Toilet-Waste-Bags-with-Bio-Gel-6-Pack/14550463

The name brand costs under $4 each for the 2 liter bags.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Double-Doodie-Toilet-Waste-Bag-With-Bio-Gel/43256344

At more than $3 each, these come with bio-gel, TP and wipes in single use pocket packs.
https://biffybag.com/biffy-bag.htm

Bob & friends video on this subject.  -crofter

Demo of Ozark Trail waste bags

Demo of Double Doodie with bio gel.

@gypsy108 Thanks for the interesting links!

Wow oyster mushrooms, an eco hero! Who knew. This will be interesting to try out in the loo process.

I am a little skeptical about in home use of the plastic eating mushroom. I can see it as being safe at the landfill where everything is already discarded. But in the home, what if the plastic eating mushrooms got loose and ate the sofa cushions or the remote control. This could be a problem for some people.
-crofter