No, two bags will not hide your poop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Dorr

Reaction score
So I was watching them videos and heard a couple of people say, "I just poop into two bags and put them in the garbage," and I thought: Oh, a second bag, apparently that works. (I'm sure I missed something, but...) Came to this farm, did for a couple of days, went to throw something in the trash and, of course, was knocked out by the smell. 

Dug 'em out, bagged 'em up, and went looking for that "public dumpster" the original poop baggers' mentioned, found one out in front a visitors center by the highway where the trucks parked, tossed the bag in -- then saw a sign saying, "No household waste or we revoke your birth day, sincerely: The State of Maine." Whoops. 

So I tried to get that out, but you know what? It was pretty deep. So knocked on the back door -- the visitors center being closed for Covid, of course -- and said, "I threw a bag of crap in there, should I get it out?" And the guy said, "Nah, just don't do it again." 

I wonder what he said when he opened that dumpster later. 

Oh, well. 

But are people really just pooping in bags and throwing them in dumpsters? I'm finding that hard to believe. Maybe out west, but it's a dicey proposition here, my friends. I'm back to the sawdust and grateful for the lesson.

If you have read my posts before then you know I don't mean to argue. But what is the objection disposing of such in the trash? Many diapers (child and adult) are disposed of the same way. I often use biodegradable bags made of corn plant fibers and in my area most of the garbage turned into energy at incinerators which is more environmentally sound than many sewer treatment plants. What are you proposing we full timers do with "it"?

A dumpster, loaded and unloaded by machinery, is different from a trash receptacle handled by a person.

Billions of poopy diapers get thrown in the trash every year.

'No Household Waste' mainly means they don't want local people filling up the dumpsters with garbage they should be disposing of where they live. They're for the travelling public. i.e. tourists spending $ in the area who would be put off by overflowing dumpsters filled up by local yokels too cheap to pay for trash service.

WanderingRose said:
Please don’t poop in bags and throw them in with trash.   :(
So i have another question.
if your not supposed to throw in the trash
where are you supposed put it
people that live in houses are not supposed to throw diapers in the trash either?
Most public restrooms(rest areas and parks) are closed so I would love to know where you put your waste if not in the garbage
also where do you dispose of dog waste if you cant throw in a dumpster?

this seems totally crazy i cant possible think of another place you could put it other than in the trash

Willie Dorr said:
 . . . "No household waste or we revoke your birth day, sincerely: The State of Maine." Whoops. 

But are people really just pooping in bags and throwing them in dumpsters? I'm finding that hard to believe.

WanderingRose said:
Please don’t poop in bags and throw them in with trash.   :(

Rotting meat, rotting vegetables, poopy diapers (feces and urine mix), dog sh!t, cat litter, . . .  It all just comes together in a pleasing (!) aroma.
A few bags of my sh!t really doesn't make a difference; my volume is tiny compared to baby diapers, et.al.  In fact, if you separate feces from urine there is very little smell; it is the combination that creates the smell.  If your dump smells that bad you are doing it wrong and probably using the wrong kind of plastic bag.

If a public dumpster has signage that forbids dumping of household waste I will find somewhere else to dump.

The solution is better than the alternatives: just leaving it or dumping bags of sh!t into the sewer.  A lot of us don't have the space or the finances for fancy toilets.

P.S. - at 70 y.o., revoking my birthday would be an inducement.

And maybe I just don’t understand the problem, I’ll admit that.

When my children were in diapers, they were mostly cloth, with disposables only for trips to grandmas house.

Poop was dumped into the toilet, either way.

I am not at the adult diaper stage, but would hope feces would still be dumped into a toilet?

The thought of adult human feces in bags in garbage bins concerns me for odor and the idea of compacted trash in garbage dumps, feces going everywhere.

If this is something I simply don’t understand, I’ll apologize for that, nor do I want to fight, but the idea is ghastly to me.

Dig a hole and bury it?

"I'm back to the sawdust and grateful for the lesson."

Sooo???..what do you do with the sawdust mixture?

Ohh... poop is ok in the garbage when mixed with sawdust or do you just sprinkle it about somewhere?

WanderingRose said:
And maybe I just don’t understand the problem, I’ll admit that.

The thought of adult human feces in bags in garbage bins concerns me for odor and the idea of compacted trash in garbage dumps, feces going everywhere.

Dig a hole and bury it?
Virtually every surface in the public is covered with fecal contaminates.  That should be a much bigger concern than odor. If you don't smell it or see it it doesn't exist?

Why would the idea of doodoo compacted and buried in a dump be worse than all that crap going into the water system, streams, lakes, oceans...which is far greater health threat than buried. You do realize the the doodie isn't going anywhere once in the landfill... its compacted and buried...unlike flowing from a sewage "treatment" plant and then released back into the waters.. talk about crap going everywhere!

I am always amazed at how many people live in a bubble.... I just wish they would stay there.

I guess you could always crap on a paper plate then put it on the campfire..

Here is a link to a nice little diagram from the EPA explaining what happens to sewage from the toilet.

https://www3.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/centralized_brochure.pdf

I would suggest that most of us use public toilets when they are available. If in the wilderness a proper single use "cat" hole is recommended. If a porta potty is used and you have a National Parks Pass ( just one of the reasons why I recommend camping on BLM near a national park) there is almost always a nearby place in the park to dump for free and public toilets, just ask. If using a wag bag (biodegradable two layer plastic bag with fluid activated powder) most state they are acceptable to dispose of as you would a disposable diaper which is in the trash for most. I would not hesitate to go to a dog park and use the recipiticle provided there for dumping a single use bag from a bucket toilet. A separating toilet with sawdust or absorbant and well stirred remains in a sealed trash bag is usually not noticed in a dumpster and not a problem as long as urine is disposed of properly elsewhere in a toilet or dispersed over a wide area. Bottom line in my opinion is every dumpster I've dumped has had a lot worst things in it and I treated all of them as if they do. I would request that you insure things like broken glass,hypodermic needles and human waste are safely wrapped or boxed so as not to harm or infect the person dumping them. Believe me dirty diapers and doggie bags are worse and in almost every dumpster, combine that with cleaned fish remains and 115 degree heat for a few days and nobody is gonna care what else is in there!

My 98 year old mother in law lives in an assisted living facility.  This place is licensed and regulated by the state.  Nothing is too insignificant to not be covered by at least one regulation. 

Walter is the maintenance guy.  He constantly battles paper towels and flushable wipes.  If any diapers were flushed he would know.  He has never complained to me about diapers or the flat pads used on beds and chairs.

The adult diapers get folded up with the poop, wiping materials, and gloves usually inside a flat pad.  Then it goes in the trash bag in the bathroom.  That goes to the big trash bag when the little ones get emptied.  Finally the big bag goes in the dumpster along with food waste and all other trash. 

Nobody kneels before the toilet rinsing out diapers.

At Millers Rest Area west of Tonopah, NV, they have complimentary green baggies for dog crap that then get tossed into the trash cans.

Household trash/waste would be appliances, furniture, plumbing fixtures. Bulky stuff that would fill the smaller dumpsters at rest areas.

Here's a tip. Tide* pod containers are excellent at containing odors. Useful for holding a few bags until a landfill or dumpster bin is handy.

*The brand that I have used. Maybe they all work that way.

I work in agriculture and farmers especially chickpea producers have been using biosolids for many many years.

"For many farmers, biosolids are a cheaper alternative to synthetic fertilizers. Municipal governments like them, too: since some cities divert as much as 50% of sludge to farms, they can reduce the amount of waste they have to pay to landfill."

I hope you enjoy that hummus which was likely grown using the crap of junkies. Good stuff!

Years ago I had a bunch of the red hazardous waste bags for asbestos dust that I used for regular trash bags and just for fun I filled out the information section that was required by law on the bag to see if I would be contacted by anyone after throwing them away at various unapproved areas all over the state. Nobody ever called or came by and you think poop is a problem, you should see what happens with industrial waste with the current administration's attitude!

maki2 - with all do respect - can you cite a law that makes human waste in a landfill illegal? This item came up on the yahoo vandwellers forum years ago and I searched extensively for a law and found none. In the state park where I was a host for years there were special bags provided to pick up dog waste and when the maintenance men picked it up they disposed of it in the same trash as the rest.???? I just haven't seen anything in laws to prevent the practice. ????? If anyone knows of one let us know. When you think of all the contents of a landfill there is plenty in there that you don't want to come in contact with. That is why modern landfills are lined to prevent seepage etc. I may be stupid and ignorant but I have done much research and unless its a local ordinance I can't find it. When I think of the thousands of pounds of animal waste that fertilizes crops - and biology of animal waste is not much different than human waste after all science says man is just an animal that thinks and communicates better than the rest. So please everyone educate me.

WanderingRose said:
....I am not at the adult diaper stage, but would hope feces would still be dumped into a toilet?....
Visit a nursing home someday and walk around the back and check out their dumpsters. The used adult diapers have been bagged in large garbage bags and dumped in. There is no sawdust or cat litter used, just plastic bags. 

We campers are used to being held to a higher standard, but the wilderness is not cleaner than any other part of the planet. Best disposal is in  a toilet or vault toilet if available. They use enzymes to handle the smell. People using sawdust also say it handles the smell.

In some parts of the world dung is burned. Does that smoke smell too ? Incinerating it at a high temperature would kill germs, but sounds like a hassle. Then you will need to dispose of the ash if you are " leaving no trace." Most campers disposing of waste in a campfire leave behind a smoldering mess for the camp host to clean up. I only found a dung fire once. Their fire was not hot enough, and it all got shoveled out and disposed of in a plastic garbage bag. In the dumpster.
-crofter

Willie Dorr said:
But are people really just pooping in bags and throwing them in dumpsters?

I dig a cat hole for pooping, and pee squatting/standing. I will never go back to anything else.

I originally bought a $1K "Nature's Head" composing toilet for my van that I never use. What a waste of currency.

If you ever meet me (some of you have) you would never guess in a million years "no way - not in a cat hole - no way". Way.

I have been a cat hole person when camping in the forest BUT believe it or not no matter how deep the hole is or how well you cover it - bears have great noses and you might not believe it they consider feces of any kind a treat. YUCK :( But I have personal experience that it does attract bears. If you use a cat whole with in several hundred yards of camp the bears will check out the smells in your camp once they have had their appetizer. I love to watch bears from a distance, when they are not moving in my direction. I use a 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid which I place in the van when not in camp and while sleeping. For some of you this will be just as gross as the above but I discovered (by accident) that beautiful butterflies are attracted to spots where I have taken a leak, especially when the sun shines on these spots. They are after the minerals and salts. It is primarily the male butterflies that do this in mud but it seems that the minerals in urine are strong attraction. Being a student and teacher of field biology I find it fascinating. I have pondered what effect the medications I take have on this. I tried to convince my wife to experiment by "marking" a spot on the other side of camp but she refused. :) The bit about my wife is meant as humor, but I assure you the the rest of this post is very true. HAPPY NATURING

As an apartment person with a window toward the dumpster, I would offer these observations;

People not living on premises would fill it from remodeling projects, and landscape companies etc...

They were so loud or I would not have noticed. Then someone moves out and there is no room in the dumpster,
and they get blamed, and set it next to the dumpster.