No more Bank or America for me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also with Navy Federal Credit Union. Super nice and helpful 100% of the time. ATM's are just a 7-11 away

I REALLY appreciate this information on credit unions. I have been with mine for years and actually thought I would have to go to BofA when I hit the road. My credit union in a shared credit union and I've just downloaded the co-op app. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Just couldn't do this without you people!

**blowing kisses***

Gigi

I had just come back from a trip to AZ and TX and went to the ATM at my own bank and it swallowed my card !
So ....I parked and went inside .
The teller informed me that they were issuing new cards and the new would arrive in a week !!!
I told her to get a manager and asked wouldn't it have been a better idea to wait for me to receive and activate the new card before killing the old one????
I had just traveled 7000 miles and would have not been very happy to find I had no access to my money on such a trip....... I was informed that wasn't the way they did it.

I then inquired about what my current balance was and when they told me I asked them to put it on the counter, the manager put the paper with my balance there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you can keep that as a souvenir just put my entire balance in cash there,,, Benjamins please!!!
I'm no longer doing business here! "

I then went next door to the credit union , opened a new account and never had a problem since .

Wow, I'm very happy that this thread has brought about some help and knowledge to others! I don't get worked up about too many things but my hatred towards B of S...I mean B of A, is a genuine loathing. Part of the reason I stayed with them is for the perceived convenience of them having so many branches. But that is all null and void with the shared banking that so many credit unions offer. I may need to download the app that the one poster said is available.
Just the fact that the bank got bailed out by the government yet screwed over so many people...I just can't support something like that. But, out of respect, I can only share why I feel this way...I won't try to convince someone to change. That is something that is personal and they can decide on their own.

I thought about B of A but after reading all of this, I'm having second thoughts. 0.0

I am currently at Great Western Bank; I have a savings there and have had no problems.

VanGrrl57 :)

We have used credit unions exclusively for decades, but on our return to IL we went with a small-ish local bank. It's handy to where we live and had better ATM access than our local credit union. That said, we're opening a separate account back at the credit union on payday. They have a credit card that works very well without the major banks BS, and very cheap safe deposit boxes for our important stuff while we travel.

I went with Wells Fargo simply because they were the only BIG ban k that had branches in states like AK and MT.  My pension goes there.  My Social Security goes to my long time credit union.  I don't want all my eggs in one basket.

I'll repeat many of the above recommendations. If you qualify, think about Navy Federal or USAA Federal Savings Bank. Both of them are geared to the mobile. And they are pretty good, both of them.

And USAA pays your ATM fees, both sides, up to 10 withdrawals a month, up to $15.

I have used BoA for many years. I have a direct deposit that avoids fees on the checking, and auto transfer to savings which avoids fees on that account. I use Bill Pay for all my payments. I make cash and check deposits at the BoA ATM. I have never experienced a problem cashing a check as I have proper identification. There are many things I don't like about BoA, but they are listed in the paper work, so are not a surprise. The main one being BoA charges at other ATMs. I am very glad I did not change to Wells Fargo when the local BoA branch closed. I also use Ally Bank, and at this point can recommend using them. I have recently opened my USAA and can't comment. I could cuss to no end the problems with my credit union checking and Debit card. I now only use that for a savings used for a once a year bill.

I used to use Wells Fargo, but Columbus Tx had a Capitol One local branch, and WF didn't, so i switched
Capitol One is much better, IMO, I have never, ever, had them 'lose' a deposit, as WF did

VanGrrl57 said:
I thought about B of A but after reading all of this, I'm having second thoughts. 0.0

I am currently at Great Western Bank; I have a savings there and have had no problems.

VanGrrl57 :)

*Update*

I just opened a checking account with Great Western Bank and I have my paycheck direct deposited there. No problems and I couldn't be happier. They are part of the "Money Pass" network so I can use my card just about anywhere, including credit unions that have the "Money Pass" logo. There is also a "Money Pass" app, too, which shows you all the ATMs you can go to without incurring a surcharge. I just typed in Money Pass and there was the app. The website address is www.moneypass.com.

VanGrrl57  :)

I've been using Capitol One 360 for years - since the days when it was ING.
My only complaint is that it's nearly impossible to make a deposit through an ATM.  I can deposit a check by scanning (or with a picture, if my phone was a bit smarter), but there are no ATMs in my area that can take a deposit.
If you deal mostly with direct deposit, PayPal or checks, it's worth checking out.

Good info here. I love my credit union but I don't think it's part of the co-op shared branch network. I'll have to double check that though.

I do have an ancient WF account that my parents are on for a house account which I may just keep as long as they don't start trying to charge me for it again. It would be simple to have that then use Paypal to transfer money from that account to my home CU account.

Going to have to do some serious thinking about banking before September