Credit Card Basics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
I recently realized that I wanted to improve my credit for two reasons: 1) To more easily receive credit if/when needed and at a lower interest rate and 2) To be able to qualify for things that use a credit score such as entering into a phone contract, hooking up gas/electric, renting an apartment or renting a car (depending how you pay).

#2 got me to thinking. Credit scores are being used for more and more transactions that aren't strictly monetary loans. Who knows what I'll need in the future that might end up needing a good credit score just to get my foot in the door, or possibly an excellent credit score to beat possible "competitors" (like who would be the best candidate for an apartment). I know my credit score is at least decent because I always pay my bills on time and mostly ahead of time. I have one credit card that I almost always pay in full at the end of the month. Sometimes I let a couple hundred dollars stay on there for a couple weeks before I zero out the balance. But I wanted to improve my score, so this is what I learned. I'm not an authority on this, and every ones wants/needs are different, so check it out yourself.

FICO score is based on 6 considerations. The first 3 are the biggies: 1) 35% is Pay your bills on time and pay what you owe. 2) 30% is utilize only 30% of your credit. If you consistently utilize 90% of your credit despite paying it off every month, you would be hurting your score. If you have a $2000 credit limit, try to keep it under $600. At the most you shouldn't go over 75%. And 3) 15% is if you pay off a credit card, don't close the account. By reducing your available credit, your credit score goes down. Instead make a couple charges or so throughout the year to keep it active and of course pay it off before the end of the billing period. This is 80% of your score! This is very easy to understand and implement to improve your FICO score. If you are ambitious and want to strive for the perfect score, go for the other 3 considerations (20% of your score)! That is a good goal.

I chose to get another credit card to supplement the Visa card from my credit union. I originally chose a credit union because you will almost always get outstanding customer service and a great rate. Mine is 11.99%. Banks not so much, but if you travel, having a bank with nationwide coverage may be a good thing. I applied for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday and got it. Was surprised about that. I chose this because it gives cash back on groceries, gas, and other purchases like renting a motel or buying a TV. I spend very little, but when i do, I want to make my money work for me.

A cash rewards card is just as good for gas as a dedicated gas card. A gas card requires you to get gas at specific stations. Montana has tons of small towns and you often have little if any choice. You take what they have or you walk. Even if you are in a bigger town, you may need to drive a few miles to find another gas station that will accept your gas card. One of the Big 4 (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, or Discover) will take care of any brand. Getting gas with a credit card is awesome. You may find yourself driving through Eastern Montana and need gas, but if it is after 11:00 p.m., you will need to wait until the next day. I bet sections of Alaska are like that, too.

Store cards like Sears, Target, Scheels, etc, may not report your awesome credit history. I absolutely insist that my card usage will be reported so my credit score increases. The Big 4 report your credit history.

Have 2 or 3 credit cards and get those cards from different institutions. When we had that bank collapse several years ago, some banks were cancelling credit cards right and left. Then some people were left without a credit card. Very frustrating and possibly seriously problematic. Also, I had my card hacked three times in one year and went without a card for several days during those times. Was not a bummer deal for me, but could've been. Or you could lose a card. A little redundancy in regards to credit cards is a good thing. It also increases the lines of credit you have which increases your FICO score.

I wanted an RFID card, so I chose one with one of those chips in it. Yes, they can be hacked by someone with inexpensive relatively simple radio equipment, but if it is hacked, they can only use the card once. The crooks can't imitate the chip itself and the chip gives a different number every time it is used. The crook will take that number, put it on a magnetic strip, make a purchase, toss the fake card, then go to the next card he made. No security measure is full proof, but the RFID is much safer than a standard magnetic strip. I don't know how that would apply to online purchases, though. I'll have to try it and see.

RFID blockers for your wallet/purse aren't all made the same. Most will only mute the signal- not completely block it. I want the ninja of RFID blockers, but I'm not sure that exists yet.

I found this info easy to understand and apply. I hope it helps you if you choose to improve your credit situation. I realize some people don't want a credit card and that's fine. I have a friend that is a bookkeeper and does a surprisingly good job, but she can't handle her own money. She can't even balance her checkbook, yet she can balance a multimillion dollar company's books and even audit errors in the books. Weird.

Many of us travel and having 2 or 3 credit cards can not only be a serious convenience, but truly a lifesaver. When you are in a town of strangers, you pretty much need to rely on yourself. Money in the form of a credit card can be your best friend. Well, next best friend if you have a dog. Or a kitty!

Debit cards are a different animal; I purposely left them out as this post is long enough!

Actually, you hurt your credit rating by paying in full every month. We pay every bill in full on time every month (well, he does), and our credit scores are lower than friends' who buy something, pay it off over three months, buy something, pay it off in a few months. You just have to be sure to have the money for all three payments socked away, since we all know how the sh*t happens fairy likes to come visit. Pay much more than minimum every month.

Getting your credit score as high as you can is a great idea. Many employers now look at it, too. (Elizabeth Warren is trying to make that illegal--I hope she does.) And bad credit prevents you from getting a security clearance if you ever have an opportunity that way.

You need credit scores for what? Once you pay off cards every month interest means nothing. You never pay it.

Very informative post Canine. That was good of you to take the time to write about it. Nice to have the FICO score demystified.

My credit score is zero and I am very happy about that. I have zero debt and will never finance anything again. Cash is king.

Credit is needed to rent a car. Can find no other reason for it except to get into trouble.

School loan? Get a degree in something that will not pay. Bad idea.

House loan? Go underwater with value of the house and see what happens if you try to sell

Car loan? What a ripoff. Buy what you can afford only.

offroad said:
Credit is needed to rent a car.  Can find no other reason for it except to get into trouble.

Flat out statements like that always remind me of the claim that "one size fits all".  Which in my case, definitely ain't true.  The damn "one-size fits all" stuff NEVER fits ME.

I have a both a Visa and a MasterCard.  I pay them off in full every month, and pay no interest.  Over the years, my credit limits have slowly gone up, and both cards now have limits over $20k.

Which means that if my engine throws a rod, or the transmission falls out in the street, it isn't a catastrophe, merely inconvenient.  I can just put the plastic down on the counter and say "Fix It".

It also means I don't HAVE to keep $10k sitting in a bank as emergency funds, but can spend it to buy a newer, lower mileage vehicle that is less likely to have problems.

To paraphrase one of those credit card commercials:  "Peace of mind - Priceless!"

Regards
John

Optimistic P -- I can see that point. Less hassle when you need the credit it's there. Got a $6500 credit card myself with little hassle but did take a month to get it. But am canceling it now. Just not using it. Something else to track for no reason. When I need credit I will apply and deal with the time delay to get it. Still working full time so it's easier to get credit for now.

offroad said:
Credit is needed to rent a car.

I've rented a car with my debit card many times. I leave a higher deposit which is refunded 5-7 business days after the car is returned.

Jana said:
Actually, you hurt your credit rating by paying in full every month.

There are different companies that provide credit scores. The real deal is FICO. The other ones are grouped into what is colloquially known as "FAKO". I'm not sure which credit reporting company you are referring to; I'm referring only to FICO.

I have it on good authority on what I'm about to say, so let me be clear without being rude. In regards specifically to FICO, your statement would be absolutely incorrect. Not true in any way that I can think of. Perhaps there is some permutation or other context which would make your statement correct, but it seems to be pretty straight forward.

Also, here is a link from FICO that affirms what I said. Here is the quote:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/Building_Credit_History.aspx

"Whether you obtain a traditional credit card or a secured credit card, it is important to keep low balances and pay off your balance each month and never miss a payment. This will help build a positive credit history."

Sorry to be like that, but that is important information that I feel needs to be corrected. It is something that I commonly hear, though, so you are certainly not alone in that thought. I've heard that so much, I would say it has reached myth status and myths are very hard to overcome, so neither I nor anyone should be hard on you for your comment. In fact I'm glad you brought it up. Good info nonetheless.

vandella said:
I've rented a car with my debit card many times. I leave a higher deposit which is refunded 5-7 business days after the car is returned.

Using a credit card can avoid needing to have a deposit. It's fine to have the cash to cover the deposit, but good to know that one can get away with using their cash for something else other than sitting idly as a deposit.

Credit cards can provide insurance at no extra cost. A Debit card doesn't.

You may need to provide additional information with a debit card such as needing a credit check (another good reason to have good credit), or copy of a utility bill.

Some rental agencies ban in-state renters and allow only out-of-state renters to rent with debit. Don't ask me why on that count.

You could incur other fees.

Some agencies won't rent to a debit card. Credit card only. This is becoming more rare, though, so much less of an issue. They do prefer credit cards.

Compared to credit cards, debit cards have some pitfalls, which I purposely left out of this thread.

Using a debit card is a viable choice, but as with anything, there are pros and cons to both sides. Using a debit card or cash is not wrong. Making an informed decision is helpful.

Personally, I would NEVER put a debit card number out there the way I would a credit card.  How do you know the guy at the car rental counter won't copy your number for his own use? Losses on a misused credit card number are limited by law to $50.  My debit card is linked to my bank account and I could have it ALL cleaned out.  Would I get it back?  Maybe, maybe not.  There are no laws covering this.  There are POLICIES by different banks and by Visa and MasterCard, but POLICIES can change at the drop of a corporate hat. 

Yup, me being paranoid again . . .

Regards
John

offroad said:
You need credit scores for what?  Once you pay off cards every month interest means nothing. You never pay it.

Your FICO credit score is public record. Anyone can look at it. I think you need to pay to look at it, and there may be other requirements, but it is a public record.

In addition to the examples I gave in the OP, here are some more:

Getting a job. I'm not saying I agree with this. In fact I disagree with this strongly. Nor am I saying every job will require a minimum FICO score to be considered, but some companies do.

Renting a car.

You can get more credit and get that credit at a lesser rate.

Better insurance rates on your car, home, property, etc. Better quality insurance, too. This is not absolute as some companies don't use credit checks and doing so is illegal in 3 states.

If you want to be a police office, sheriff, border patrol agent, military, etc., you want to have good credit. It may not outright disqualify you, but it will have an impact. You may be denied your MOS (your job) in the military with bad credit and may need to take an MOS you would rather not have to be accepted in the military.

I suspect needing a good credit report will increase as other companies and government agencies will also adopt this practice.

You gave some good reasons for not utilizing credit. Good information, for sure. I've said this already, but there are pros and cons to everything. What works for one person may not work for another. If you want to engage in certain activities, good credit can open some doors for you. Make no mistake, though: Your credit history does affect you. Unless you are a hermit, it impacts your life in some way.

Cash, unfortunately, is not always king. Many times, though, cash talks and everything else walks. I won't have a completely cash free/credit only life; I utilize a blend of both for my needs.

My illicit acquaintances won't open a merchant account for some odd reason. They only accept cash. :p

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Personally, I would NEVER put a debit card number out there the way I would a credit card.  How do you know the guy at the car rental counter won't copy your number for his own use? Losses on a misused credit card number are limited by law to $50.  My debit card is linked to my bank account and I could have it ALL cleaned out.  Would I get it back?  Maybe, maybe not.  There are no laws covering this.  There are POLICIES by different banks and by Visa and MasterCard, but POLICIES can change at the drop of a corporate hat. 

Yup, me being paranoid again . . .

Regards
John

I will start a thread on debit/credit cards in a few days. Let's keep on the credit card for this thread. Knowing the differences of a debit card compared to a credit card is really important, too! Thanks!

I thought of more examples. There is an ISP here that won't accept cash. You can have all the cash in the world and you won't be able to pay your bill. Check or credit card only.

Checks are becoming less popular. Try paying for fast food with a check. Credit card or cash is good.

When paying for passport fees, among many payment options, you can use cash, but it has to be the EXACT amount.

When I got fingerprinted at the sheriff's office, cash ONLY and for the EXACT amount.

I have a checking account, too, but use it mostly for online banking like paying for my credit card.

While I can't argue with anything you've said, I think there is another, very dark side of the story.

Quite simply it's the staggering credit card debt of the country. Many Americans severely abuse credit cards and for them they are a terrible thing. The many people being destroyed by easy credit all started out with the great reasons and great intentions you've laid out. For them it ended in despair.

Are you one of those people? Maybe, maybe not, you won't know for a few years.

The average US household with credit cards is carrying a dept of $15,863 on them. They are slaves to their credit cards. Saying "It can't happen to me." doesn't mean it won't happen to you.

A quote from this website:
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-card-data/average-credit-card-debt-household/
The average US household credit card debt stands at $15,863, counting only those households carrying debt. Based on an analysis of Federal Reserve statistics and other government data, the average household owes $7,400 on their cards; looking only at indebted households, the average outstanding balance rises to $15,863.

It's so easy to go into dead end debt. You need tires? Spend $750 for them on the card. Oh and you relative is passing? Well $1000 for that trip. Then tell yourself you will pay it off. That is a rather significant hurdle and a false promise. Unless you have the fiscal income. Just be really careful about the false promises you make to yourself about any debt.

I have four credit cards now, with enough total available credit to finance a house. I also have zero debt, everything is paid for, car, condo, everything. Until recently I had a credit score of 820, my credit union offers free FICO scores with our online banking so I checked it out recently, my score is down to 786 and the two reasons given were that I had cancelled one old credit card and I haven't had any revolving debt in too long. So I'm being dinged for not using credit now, it really is a web they want to keep us ensnared in, pay them interest or you'll have no score, use it too much and you'll have a poor score, be responsible and don't buy things you can't pay cash for and they hit your score for that now too..

Queen -- what does the magical 786 mean versus 820? Are they not effectively made up numbers? You only need them when trying to get more credit. If your goal is to not get credit then you are better off. Yes the credit score can get you a better interest rate for a house loan. But so can competition between banks. And so can the seller who is motivated to sell, and the real estate agent who wants to make a commission. --- it's all a game rigged to maximize profit.